+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2018 National Pacetting Trials

I was told that the US Ski team techs are not going to put any additional time or effort into fixing/repairing or otherwise spending time on this forum improving it. I was told to just use the NASTAR Facebook page - and since I don't participate in Facebook, I guess it might be syanara - that would be unfortunate.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    I was told that the US Ski team techs are not going to put any additional time or effort into fixing/repairing or otherwise spending time on this forum improving it. I was told to just use the NASTAR Facebook page - and since I don't participate in Facebook, I guess it might be syanara - that would be unfortunate.
    I'm not a big fan of the NASTAR Facebook page. The discussions are rare and not like the ones we've had on here over the years. It's just another venue for advertisers. I will continue to check in here to get my fellow racers' viewpoints.

I've tried on a number of occasions to get this Forum Software updated but USST has made the decision that they won't do anything about it. Their recommendation was to use the NASTAR Racers Facebook Page. We're stuck. I can reopen registration on the Forum but that will bring in an onslaught of spammers. Before we restricted it, I was deleting up to a thousand spam posts a day.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Thanks for your service, Pat!

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    I've tried on a number of occasions to get this Forum Software updated but USST has made the decision that they won't do anything about it. Their recommendation was to use the NASTAR Racers Facebook Page. We're stuck. I can reopen registration on the Forum but that will bring in an onslaught of spammers. Before we restricted it, I was deleting up to a thousand spam posts a day.
    My thoughts would be add some more administrators.
    To reduce the unwanted have them answer 3 ski racing questions and require a active NASTAR number or USSA/USST membership #
    or
    recommendation from one or two known members

The issue as I see it much like formula and sports car racing we are graying out and there are few replacements looking to take our place. So any form of outreach that might gather new interest is good.

I've asked to have a Captcha function at the very least but I don't think this forum version will support it. Ditto for using the NASTAR number. I was able to configure the Facebook Page so that registrants must supply their NASTAR ID and then I approve them manually.

I'll get under the hood on this Forum again to see if I can tweak it any.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

I've asked to have a Captcha function at the very least but I don't think this forum version will support it. Ditto for using the NASTAR number. I was able to configure the Facebook Page so that registrants must supply their NASTAR ID and then I approve them manually. I'll get under the hood on this Forum again to see if I can tweak it any.
    Thanks for your efforts at this forum and on the Facebook site, Pat. Data breaches at Facebook are inevitable. Facebook is monetizing 'us' and our data as they do for everyone on their site. Broadly speaking, so far, they have shown little interest in using our data in ways that reflect a loyalty to our interests. I will continue to check in here for the most relevant information and discussions of our sport.

Just noticed that the link to the Forum on the home page has been removed. I guess that pretty much makes us toast. What do you think about asking to have a general NASTAR Subject on the Pugski Forum?

https://www.pugski.com/forums/

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Just noticed that the link to the Forum on the home page has been removed. I guess that pretty much makes us toast. What do you think about asking to have a general NASTAR Subject on the Pugski Forum? https://www.pugski.com/forums/
    Pugski does seem to be active. I wouldn't mind going there for discussions. Anything is better than the sterile format on Facebook. BTW, following the direction of someone on another thread on here, one can get an active Forum tab by signing in to your NASTAR racing account (upper left on the NASTAR home page; "LOG IN"), and then the FORUMS tab comes up. It's a little longer but all roads lead to Rome.

+ Reply to Thread