+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World Cup on TV?

World Cup on TV?

Ok, last year, almost all World Cup races were on either the Olympic Channel or NBCSN. This year, with the first races only 4 days away, there is nothing listed anywhere about what tv coverage, if any, the World Cup will have this season. I've gone through the program schedule for both these channels, and they are full of auto auctions, premier league soccer, and such programming, but no alpine skiing at all. I've looked on the US Ski Team web site (which is pathetic for a world class sports web site, by the way) and the Ski Racing web site (which isn't much better in their shakedown of us to pay extra for their "premium content" which I refuse to ante up for) and neither site even mentions anything about tv coverage. You'd think that the US Ski Team would want at least to address the tv coverage issue, if they really wanted to promote the sport to all us amateurs. Anyone have any information about tv schedules for this season?
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Ok, last year, almost all World Cup races were on either the Olympic Channel or NBCSN. This year, with the first races only 4 days away, there is nothing listed anywhere about what tv coverage, if any, the World Cup will have this season. I've gone through the program schedule for both these channels, and they are full of auto auctions, premier league soccer, and such programming, but no alpine skiing at all. I've looked on the US Ski Team web site (which is pathetic for a world class sports web site, by the way) and the Ski Racing web site (which isn't much better in their shakedown of us to pay extra for their "premium content" which I refuse to ante up for) and neither site even mentions anything about tv coverage. You'd think that the US Ski Team would want at least to address the tv coverage issue, if they really wanted to promote the sport to all us amateurs. Anyone have any information about tv schedules for this season?
    And another thing - this site is also seriously lacking - it's ridiculous that you type out a good thread, complete with spacing and separate paragraphs, and when you post it, it turns in to one big long single paragraph. Totally unnacceptable for the 21st century and the available technology we have. - UGH!
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Soelden coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Yeah, I looked around the programming and couldn't turn up any coverage of Soelden on October 27th or 28th. www.fis-ski.com has nothing about coverage either. Perhaps going to NBC Sports and getting on their mailing list will give us notification. NBC Sports This format won't take the email link to NBC Sports/
    Last edited by iSpeed; 10-23-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
    Yeah, I looked around the programming and couldn't turn up any coverage of Soelden on October 27th or 28th. www.fis-ski.com has nothing about coverage either. Perhaps going to NBC Sports and getting on their mailing list will give us notification. NBC Sports This format won't take the email link to NBC Sports/
    NBC Sports is covering skiing this year. Look on USSA.ORG under "WATCH" and it outlines all TV coverage. I had to buy the NBC Sports GOLD app/service for access to all the World Cup events. It was about $69 for the year. The nice thing is that the events can be replayed so you don't have to get up at 4AM for European races. I can also watch on my phone, ipad, computer, Apple TV or other smart TV at my convenience.

Also, I hope they do the same as they did last year and occasionally show the complete first run with no commentary. It gives us a chance to see the lower seed "up and comers". Maybe someone with some Executive Muscle at USSA can recommend that they do this for all events. They record the first run anyway and the lack of commentary on the first run is fine......

One more thing....when looking for the red Watch button on the USSA home page....make sure that your browser window is wide enough. It is in the upper right section and if you have a narrow browser window the red Watch button does not show up. Another thing that USSA might want to tweek......TV is important.

and just as I went thru all of that.....USSA.org has an home page article describing the new coverage....here is an excerpt....
    STAMFORD, Conn. – NBC Sports Gold, NBC Sports Digital’s direct-to-consumer live streaming product, launched “Snow Pass” today, giving fans access to live and on-demand domestic and international competitions of seven Olympic winter sports from October 2018 through April 2019. “Snow Pass” will feature an unprecedented 700+ hours – including nearly 100 exclusive hours – of coverage of FIS alpine skiing, nordic combined, ski jumping, cross-country skiing, freestyle skiing, biathlon, and snowboarding events. The 2018-19 “Snow Pass” is available for purchase now for $69.99 by visiting NBCSportsGold.com.

and it only gets better.....I know you were asking....."but how can I watch synchronized ice skating....my true passion, next to curling....?" Well there is a pass for that too....Figure Skating Pass....really....no kidding. Only $59.99 at NBC Sports.....

Just saw the broadcast update on USSA.ORG.....they will be showing both the first and second runs of the Womens and Mens GS from Solden.

Very cool.......Lots of new skiers from the US in this event to watch!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monpick View Post
    NBC Sports is covering skiing this year. Look on USSA.ORG under "WATCH" and it outlines all TV coverage. I had to buy the NBC Sports GOLD app/service for access to all the World Cup events. It was about $69 for the year. The nice thing is that the events can be replayed so you don't have to get up at 4AM for European races. I can also watch on my phone, ipad, computer, Apple TV or other smart TV at my convenience.
    Thanks. It stinks that I have to pay $70 to watch the World Cup.

+ Reply to Thread