+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Qualifying Rule Results

New Qualifying Rule Results

Here are results of Racers that raced and were eligible to move down two divisions

Racer 2017 Start/Finish 2018 Division Place 2018 Handicap

1 Platinum/Bronze Bronze 1st Silver

2 Platinum/Silver Silver 1st Silver(.16 off Gold)

3 Gold/Bronze Bronze 1st Silver

4 Platinum/Silver Silver 2nd Bronze

5 Gold/Bronze Silver 3rd Silver

6 Gold/Bronze Silver 5th Silver

7 Platinum/Bronze Silver 4th Bronze

8 Gold/Bronze Platinum 1st Silver(Only Racer)

9 Gold/Bronze Platinum DSQ-Fri

Racers moving down two or more divisions

100% Podium

75% First

25% Second
    Last edited by NCSkier; 03-29-2018 at 10:31 PM.

It appears that I do not know how to use the tab and or more than one space when formatting here. My table in Notepad looks fine.

The columns are:

Racer 2017 Start/Finish 2018 Division Place 2018 Handicap

This version of forum software is very limited in display options. Alternatives are being evaluated.

It's cumbersome but you might want to use the Snipping Tool to grab an image of your table and then use PictureTrail to insert the graphic in your post.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

i understand what NASTAR was trying to accomplish with the division changes, but I cant say iím a fan. As a Silver participant, i watched a lifelong gold division skier bump down to Silver and take a podium spot. Yes a bit of sour grapes as I finished fourth... but it is what it is. As someone who raced Bronze for one year.. and then Silver for the last four years.... until iím older.... thats the highest iíll likely attain.

I would much rather lose out a podium spot to someone that consistantly competes on my level.

Tough pill to swallow.
    Last edited by dadskis1966; 03-31-2018 at 01:56 PM.

With the tough conditions and higher handicaps at Squaw, looks like the Silver and Bronze groups will be PACKED next year. Is this what NASTAR wanted too?

Quote Originally Posted by dadskis1966 View Post
    With the tough conditions and higher handicaps at Squaw, looks like the Silver and Bronze groups will be PACKED next year. Is this what NASTAR wanted too?
    The results will be reviewed and analyzed thoroughly. Historically, modifications have been made when warranted. Some racers will opt to place themselves in a higher category. I took 2nd in my age group in Platinum this year but my results were only at the Silver level. Regardless, I'll enter next year's race again in Platinum.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    The results will be reviewed and analyzed thoroughly. Historically, modifications have been made when warranted. Some racers will opt to place themselves in a higher category. I took 2nd in my age group in Platinum this year but my results were only at the Silver level. Regardless, I'll enter next year's race again in Platinum.
    I am in the same boat Pat. I skied Platinum this year, but my results were only at the Bronze level. Nevertheless, weather favorable and the creek don't rise, I will enter next year's race in Platinum. Being on the podium is just not that important to me (although I do like being on it). For me racing is about improving my skiing and the camaraderie of the event. So we have a limited data set of N=2 of NASTAR racers who won't bump down.

Of the nine racers who registered this years that were eligible to bump down two or more divisions this year, only four opted to bump down two. Three won their division and the other was second.
    Quote Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
    I am in the same boat Pat. I skied Platinum this year, but my results were only at the Bronze level. Nevertheless, weather favorable and the creek don't rise, I will enter next year's race in Platinum. Being on the podium is just not that important to me (although I do like being on it). For me racing is about improving my skiing and the camaraderie of the event. So we have a limited data set of N=2 of NASTAR racers who won't bump down.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSkier View Post
    Of the nine racers who registered this years that were eligible to bump down two or more divisions this year, only four opted to bump down two. Three won their division and the other was second.
    What should one think about the four who opted to bump down two divisions? Does it mean that their self concept is invested in being on a NASTAR podium? We are a "self-selected" group in that those of us who attend the National event can afford to. Even if I achieve a podium result at Nationals, I only have to look at my NASTAR ranking nationally to understand that I am not one of the fastest skiers in North America in my division. Based on published handicaps, there are several thousand NASTAR racers who might be able to smoke me on any given day or course. I just read a quote that resonated with me on trying to improve (one's skiing in this case): "Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death." Anais Nin, writer
    Last edited by iSpeed; 04-03-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Cool

A few thoughts about Nastar Nationals 2018........

--#1...I had a blast. Can say enough about the Nastar Team in pulling this one off in light of many challenges....

--I personally really liked having races on the lower hill. Everyone was together making it easier to go from event to event to watch kids, friends etc.. And the courses in my division were fun and challenging (some of the challenge created by the hard freeze after the rain). If we come back to squaw valley next year, I vote for all races on the lower hill. I was "flying solo" but I can only imagine the challenge families with kids would have going back and forth from the upper slopes to lower slopes to keep track of everyone. Also from a "weather risk management" standpoint, the organizers would have less scrambling to do if everything was on the lower slopes.

--Loved the Squaw Valley venue. Lodging, terrain, staff....awesome.

--The new division classification system was very interesting. It kind of shook things up a bit. There were two very fast skiers in my division. They were not reachable by the others. But the rest of us in the group were pretty close together and fought hard for the last podium spot. It seems to work this way every year. Some years you are one of the fast skiers, some years you are not. I have won the silver division twice in past years and ended up third in gold this year (and bombed miserably in other years). I enjoyed them all (even when I sucked). I plan on staying in gold next year and will need to up my game because the competition will be tough I am sure.

--Too bad that the Nastar Nationals always overlap the US Alpine Nationals (and sometimes the Masters event). Unfortunately everything stacks up at the end of year....World Cup final races, snow quality and availability, multiple Nationals events, spring breaks....etc. But if we could find a date that doesn't conflict with the US Alpine Nationals that would be cool.

--Note to self.....bring rain gear next year..... just in case

Thanks to the organizers and competitors......all were class acts....

Until next season....

+ Reply to Thread