+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NASTAR Nationals Diary 2018

Saturday

We've now experiened more weather changes than I've ever encountered before. Today saw less wind but more snow. The awards were presented outdoors in driving snow.

Ten-year-old Ryan finished in third place and narrowly missed second. He's racing on twin tips and no speed suit. Seven-year-old Archie won his age group by a large margin and will compete in the Race of Champions tomorrow. Six-year-old Lauchie repeated his performance from last year winning both skiing and snowboarding. He's been using the same board since he was 3 and says he needs a new one.

I managed to finish second in my age group's Platinum Division and first place in snowboarding. I was pleasantly surprized to discover that I had the fourth fastest overall snowboard time today. I have to give a shoutout to Nate Holland who took a personal interest in every racer.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Sunday (apologies for taking so long to update the diary. I'll add more later)

Spectacular weather put in an appearance in time for the Race of Champions. Middle grandson Archie had a blazing run on Julia's Gold C (a course with a VERY steep start) and wound up taking 2nd adjusted time in the ROC!

Younger brother Lauchie had a good start but wiped out. He hadn't planned on racing on his snowboard (he won both disciplines) but with the DNF in skiing he opted to enter as a boarder after all. The start was pretty intimidating to the adult racers but he attacked it and laid down a pretty good time.

The snow was the most carveable of the entire event and I felt comfortable being aggressive on my 178 cm snowboard. At age 71 I was pleased to record the third fastest overall snowboard time.

After that Penny and I cross country skied from the Squaw Valley Lodge back to the village, did a little shopping and had a glass of beer and wine before skiing back. It was a perfect day.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

I will have to say that this was the most challenging nationals I have seen. Nastar and Squaw adapted, under some really adverse conditions to pull it off. A tip of my hat to All.

Isn't it about time Grandpa puts Lauchie on a new board?

Quote Originally Posted by NCSkier View Post
    Isn't it about time Grandpa puts Lauchie on a new board?
    I did get him the shortest race board I could find but it'll still be a while before he's ready for it.

The boys did great out there. And they were all racing on twin tips! I think grandpa is going to have to find some junior race skis for next season. This was the third time I've taken 2nd place in Platinum. I need to go faster. I picked up my 12th Age Group National Championship in snowboard racing.

We spent Monday playing on the snow in spectacular conditions before heading for Reno for the night. If you're not bored watching a video of my family, here's a link to YouTube video. https://youtu.be/LP149YEduzg

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

I have a pair of Hunter's older race skis, your more than welcome to them.
    Do we know where next years event will be?

thanks

That's very generous of you!It's my understanding that we will return to Squaw Valley next year either the third or fourth week.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Still going through pictures. 1-5 year old winner Lauchie missed the group photo of snowboarders so I photoshopped him in.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

+ Reply to Thread