+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NASTAR Nationals Diary 2018

NASTAR Nationals Diary 2018

Greetings from Squaw Valley! Last time I was here was three years ago and there was very little snow. Today the mountain is buried following a couple of monster dumps and we're expecting a lot more from Wednesday night through Thursday. Here's a photo of the front balcony of our condo. That snow is five feet deep!

My first trip to the Nationals was Park City in 2004 and my attendance has been pretty steady with the following exceptions. In 2007 I canceled the trip because of broken ribs. In 2014 I broke my leg but got crutches with spikes and attended as a photographer. And last year I managed to break my collarbone three weeks before the event. I couldn't risk hitting gates so I only entered as a snowboarder. I'm healthy this year and will be competing in the Snowboard Division and the Platinum Division on skis. Saturday's logistics will be challenging as I have to be in two places at once......

Our three oldest grandsons all made the podium last year (the five year old won skiing and boarding) and they are back to race again this year.

Today is a free skiing day and I'll likely try the local NASTAR course. I'd like to add a Squaw Valley NASTAR pin to my hat.

Wednesday is the start of the competion and I'll be racing the slalom on my snowboard.

Looking forward to reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones!!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Good Luck Pat - hope you can pull off a Ledecka!
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Wow! Weather forecast looks really nasty - can you give us an update for the folks back home? 3 feet plus of heavy, wet snow predicted between now and Friday, with 40 mile an hour winds - how are they going to pull off racing in that??Play by play please, both Pat and JT!
    Last edited by Racer X; 03-21-2018 at 04:05 AM.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Wow! Weather forecast looks really nasty - can you give us an update for the folks back home? 3 feet plus of heavy, wet snow predicted between now and Friday, with 40 mile an hour winds - how are they going to pull off racing in that??Play by play please, both Pat and JT!
    HQ sent out an email a short time ago with a revised schedule showing different venues and times. They're keeping a close weather eye and will make further changes if warranted. Here is the current schedule: https://www.nastar.com/news/alert-na...s-have-changed

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

How bad is it out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    How bad is it out there?
    Not bad so far. We're looking at a little mixed rain and snow today. There's still a warning for a lot of snow at higher elevations tonight. Yesterday was fine. I put together a short video: https://youtu.be/cd6-rW6jbus

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Wednesday

The Slalom Race was held today and it was completed in difficult conditions. Steady rain fell throughout the day and the courses had to be salted. The Junior race had to be postponed because of lightning but was eventually completed. Tomorow's Team and Family races may have to contend with heavy snowfall. I was thrilled to pose on the podium with two of the greatest Downhill Racers in US History - Daron Rahlves and AJ Kitt.

Carol Sweeney is one of the few racers to be National Champion in the Sixties and Seventies. She's back to add another decade!

Our own Bmorecopper displaying some well-earned hardware!

And Bill Madsen, the guy who makes all this work!

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Thursday

The forecast was for two feet of snow. What we got was a steady onslaught of rain with some very wet snow mixed in (hey - I blew a lot of forecasts during my years as a meteorologist). Everyone was soaked to the bone. The course workers did an amazing job of salting the courses to handle the heavy volume of traffic in the Team and Family Races.

Our grandsons got in late Wednesday night so I skipped the Team Race to make sure they got registered and picked up their lift tickets. I'm happy to report that TeamOkemo won the Silver Division of the Team Race.

The Famly Race was scored based upon 2 person, 3 person, and 4+ teams. I had a blast racing with ten-year-old Ryan, seven-year-old Archie, and six-year -old Lauchie. Out of 11 teams we came in fourth. Although we didn't make the podium, we couldn't resist posing on it after the awards. In the 4+ member teams I could have done better but came in 8th of 45 racers.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Friday

What a difference a day makes! Blue skies but cold and very windy. The upper lifts shut down and many of the venues were moved to Julia's Gold and Red Dog. My group (70-74 Platinum) raced from the top of Julia's Gold - a long and steep course. The pacesetters are used to this type of course but us wanabees experienced some pretty high handicaps. There were a few spectacular wipeouts. I managed to get down both runs without mishap and am in 2nd place but with a lot of time to makeup. In snowboarding I've outlived most of my competition so I'm unopposed.

The grandsons are also doing well. Ten-year old Ryan had a blisteing first run going when he straddled the second to last gate. His second run put him only .30 out of first place. Seven year old Archie has a two second lead in his division as does Lauchie in the 1-5 Gold group. Lauchie is hoping to repeat his Double Gold feat from last year by also winning snowboading. Here he is posing with Pacesetter and Eight-Time X Games Champion Nate Holland.

At the introduction of the Pacesetters we enlisted AJ Kitt's help and surprised Bill Madsen with a banner thanking him for all his years of service to this great organization. All NASTAR racers here at the Nationals were invited to sign it. Bill joined NASTAR in 1989 and has been at the helm for more than half his life!

I've started a Flickr album and will add more shots to it over the next few days. Here's a link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gymnas...57664871462707

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Thank you for all of your posts and pictures Pat! It's great to get a taste of what is going on out there. Have fun!! Thanks, Kevin

+ Reply to Thread