+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NASTAR Golden anniversary - first NASTAR experience

NASTAR Golden anniversary - first NASTAR experience

There is a nice 5-page article in this month's SKI magazine about NASTAR's Golden Anniversary. In celebration of it's 50th year and since this forum has been kind of quiet lately, i was thinking it would be interesting to ask you to to list your first experience racing NASTAR (when and where). I'll start: Mine was January 1995 at Taos Ski Valley in New Mexico. I think I got a bronze medal.

Ages Ago

Trying to remember my first NASTAR runs. I guess they were at Crystal Mountain, WA in 1971. Father-in law took wife and I to course and smoked us, he was in his 70's, I was in my late 30's. Took a long time until I was skiing enough days at areas with the NASTAR program until I became sorta proficient CBMR was our area for some years and up until they dropped the program gave us the opportunity to run a few gates almost every day. On the way back to the base you could go to the course and get your timed runs. Wife and I really liked the gates. After CBMR pooped out we went to Telluride occasionally (300 mile run trip for one day of NASTAR). Last NASTAR was at Taos, that was far enough away that we made it a several day trip.Slats
    Lots of years, lots of fun.

The first NASTAR run that I have a record of (a bronze medal), was at Mt. Telemark in Cable, Wisconsin. I must have "raced" sometime between 1971-1974. Mt. Telemark was founded as an alpine skiing area by Tony Wise in 1947. Now alpine skiing is no longer offered at the area. The area is dedicated to nordic skiing, and they claim it as the home of the American Birkebiener Nordic ski race.

Great question. Just looked it up. I started skiing in Bavaria in 1956 but quit in 1962 when I got into competitive skydiving. 34 years later I resumed skiing and took up snowboarding. My first attempt at racing was the NASTAR course at Okemo on January 9th, 1999. I made three runs - one silver and two gold. A year later I made two runs on the same course - one Silver and one Gold. I skipped the next year entirely and then caught the bug in 2002-2003 season racing on both skis and snowboards on eight different days. Best effort on the board was a Silver. 2004 was my first trip to the Nationals (Park City) and I've been a regular ever since. I started working with the NASTAR program at Okemo in 2006 and continue to do so today.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    ... in 1962 when I got into competitive skydiving.
    Pat, I gotta ask......First one down wins?

First Nastar ever was at Paoli Peaks in southern Indiana 1978. I was 18 years old. I skied and Nastar'd until 1982 then quit mainly because I was broke and didn't have anyone to ski with. Always scored bronze or silver in this era. 1991 I got married and changed jobs and met other skiers at my new employment. I bought new gear and started back skiing. My ski day always centered around the Nastar course. First gold was back at Paoli Peaks 1995~ish. Around 2000 I started club racing with the local council clubs and really got the racing bug. I club raced and Nastar'd every season until 5 or 6 years ago when age and injuries (mostly back) took their toll. In recent years I only skied once or twice a season and three years ago not at all. It is very difficult to ski and especially race with a bad back. Believe me, I tried. From my home base here in Indianapolis there is still good Nastar to be had at Paoli Peaks, a two hour drive. I also drive 475 miles north to Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Nubs Nob, Crystal Mountain and other Michigan areas several times a season. East I go to Pennsylvania, West Virginia or Maryland, also about 475 miles. Many weekend trips consist of 5 or 6 race runs per day, and drive all the way home. I've driven 1200 miles in a weekend too many times to count just to make 12 race runs. Western trips are only to resorts with Nastar. I won't go on a week long trip unless I can Nastar my brains out. Yes I have it bad. The good news is at the moment all past injuries seem to be recovered. I've geared up once again and this season plan to get back after it. If all goes well maybe even back at Nationals.