+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Knee replacement.

I suspect it is not going to be a problem, and after all this exercise I will be in the best shape I have been in years.
    Have skated every Tuesday since I posted last. I am now going to puck shooting sessions, I pulled and mangled all the other parts after the first session. I forgot what swinging a stick does to other parts of the body and I pulled a bunch of things in my left leg.
    But have done two sessions since the first and the body parts that had not done that kind of motion are now feeling better, but my shot still sucks.
    I went to an ice skating benefit for blind people that my PT place organized. I was told by my PT that it was too early to skate. I have been asked by most of the staff how do I skate like that? My response was I am not pushing it and it hurts less to skate than to walk.
    Up to 220 on single leg press on replaced knee and max out machine at 380 with both legs.
    Hunter had snow! & it is 40 here.

Just had a doctors check up. X-ray looked good bone all filled in.
    Have been approved for ski racing. Not that the doctor had the final word anyway.
    He checked other knee and it was fine.
    So it is getting cold and I am ready most likely to get on my ski machine today.

I skied today for two hours at Hunter.
    Leg felt great. Have a two hour lesson from a racing coach tomorrow.
    NASTAR is running on Weds.

Update
    Did the NASTAR open at Okemo.
    Had 77 race runs at various ski hills in the northeast this season.
    The last day I raced this season I beat the pace setter I have a signed paper.
    Currently skate 4 times a week with a return to senior hockey after 22 years.
    Now both my knees hurt about the same which is normal, but I do not have the it is going to fail worry that I did before the replacement.

Update:I had a Total Knee Replacement of the right knee on March 16 th. This photo was taken exactly a week later. There is still a lot of stiffness, swelling, and some eyepopping black and blue marks on the back of the thigh but otherwise everything is hunky dory.

Thanks to Pi_guy, fmike, and JTBear for their guidance! Now I just hope to have as successful a return to the sport as they did!

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    Update:I had a Total Knee Replacement of the right knee on March 16 th. This photo was taken exactly a week later. There is still a lot of stiffness, swelling, and some eyepopping black and blue marks on the back of the thigh but otherwise everything is hunky dory. Thanks to Pi_guy, fmike, and JTBear for their guidance! Now I just hope to have as successful a return to the sport as they did!
    March 16th?!? Pat, you skied really well at Nationals considering. ;0) Listen to your "physical terrorists." Good luck with your rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
    March 16th?!? Pat, you skied really well at Nationals considering. ;0) Listen to your "physical terrorists." Good luck with your rehab.
    I think he meant May 16.
    It depends on your PT I had a very conservative one that was pointless. The real problem at the early stage is damaging it before the bone has grown about the implant.
    I told my doctor and PT at the 3 month mark I would go ice skating. They freaked that I would fall and cause damage. I told them I do not fall while ice skating, playing hockey or ski racing falling is possible.
    It was a case at the 3 month mark that I needed to skate and see if I still had my balance, I knew if I did not have it then there skiing would be an issue. The first time I skated it was for ten minutes and at the end of ten minutes the muscles in my right leg said enough.
    I doubled the time each week and after a month I started puck shooting then at the 6th month mark I started playing senior hockey again, I freaked the organizers out when I dropped my pants in the locker room. They figured I was going to be a liability.
    Well when I skated around a few people and scored they figured out I was fine.

But the point being is you need to know your own body the doctor and PT are following the average person. They put me on the leg press and I was able to max out machine at 420lbs at the 4 month mark. So if your an active person like Pat you need to work your self at a little higher pace. When your older and you limit your activities for long periods of time you do not get it back. Doing active stuff at older ages often it is the mental aspect that will hold you back. So there are times you need to do things to build your confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    I think he meant May 16. It depends on your PT I had a very conservative one that was pointless. The real problem at the early stage is damaging it before the bone has grown about the implant. I told my doctor and PT at the 3 month mark I would go ice skating. They freaked that I would fall and cause damage. I told them I do not fall while ice skating, playing hockey or ski racing falling is possible. It was a case at the 3 month mark that I needed to skate and see if I still had my balance, I knew if I did not have it then there skiing would be an issue. The first time I skated it was for ten minutes and at the end of ten minutes the muscles in my right leg said enough. I doubled the time each week and after a month I started puck shooting then at the 6th month mark I started playing senior hockey again, I freaked the organizers out when I dropped my pants in the locker room. They figured I was going to be a liability. Well when I skated around a few people and scored they figured out I was fine. But the point being is you need to know your own body the doctor and PT are following the average person. They put me on the leg press and I was able to max out machine at 420lbs at the 4 month mark. So if your an active person like Pat you need to work your self at a little higher pace. When your older and you limit your activities for long periods of time you do not get it back. Doing active stuff at older ages often it is the mental aspect that will hold you back. So there are times you need to do things to build your confidence. .
    I know he meant May 16th Pi_guy, I was just messing with Pat. ;-) But the comment did provide an opportunity for you to share your PT experience, so that is helpful.

I know he meant May 16th Pi_guy, I was just messing with Pat. ;-) But the comment did provide an opportunity for you to share your PT experience, so that is helpful.
    I have been on Pat's NASTAR Team Okemo maybe we should change the name to Team Replacements or the Titanium Knees.

I might not be the best model to follow for recovery, I was in my first Masters race with about 30 hours of ski time total since I first skied in HS.
    Later when I broke my Tibia Plateau on a SG training run I finished the run including a jump and walked to the medical center at Mt Snow since it was too painful to sit in a car.
    The doctors first words to me was you can not walk off a fracture, I responded with I am using the ice hockey method of pain management.

Yep. May 16th. I guess I experienced a case of Cranial Flatulence....

I haven't had a pain pill in over 24 hours. Getting the staples out on Wednesday.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

+ Reply to Thread