+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New qualification and Nationals Division Placement rules....

You raise some good points. I'll try to find the answer.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Thank You, Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    You raise some good points. I'll try to find the answer.

Final Average Handicap Placement.

Based on this a lot of racers will be moving down a category. Platinum to Gold, Gold to Silver. My two day average last year was 37.62 This would place me in Silver this year.
    I would hate to go out west with all the expense and have to race Platinum Racers. So based on this I will compete in Silver if this is my interpretation of the new classification rules.

That appears to be correct.

There is a new process for determining divisions for the Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championships. The criteria have changed to more accurately place participants in the correct division based on their ability: Platinum Division, Gold Division, Silver Division and Bronze Division within each age and gender group.

Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championship participants will be placed in a division based on results within their race profile. The first option listed below that fits a participant's race profile will place them in their division:

Final average handicap from the 2017 NASTAR National Championships
    Best handicap from a 2018 NASTAR Regional Championship event
    NASTAR National ranking handicap from the 2017-18 season (3 race days needed)
    The best handicap earned by March 13th, 2018.

Yes, That;s how I read it also, Your whole division from last year will be in the Silver division this year, should you choose. You can always move up.
    Last edited by NCSkier; 01-19-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Got the answer:

Yes, the concept is to put people in a division based on the terrain they will race on at Nationals. A platinum racer at Okemo might qualify for the silver division based on their result at the Nationals. However, participants can choose to compete in a higher division. For example, a racer that earned silver medal handicaps at the National Championship has the option to compete in the Platinum, Gold or Silver Division.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

That's not fair to the racers in the lower division, Using my division as an example A racer in the gold division at nationals who attains a bronze handicap should not be handicapped the same as a racer In the bronze division at the nationals who attained a bronze handicap. Racing gold on lower All-Out is a far cry from racing bronze on Lower Bashor. A racer dropping two divisions will win every time!! There is way too much differences in the courses in Platinum and gold vs silver and bronze. Nastar has tweaked the breakout rule upwards, to only go up one division, to make it more fair to the ONE racer moving up. They should do likewise going down, not make it unfair to ALL racers in the lower division, this ONE racer is moving down to. Get your head out of you a--, Bill!!
    Got the answer: Yes, the concept is to put people in a division based on the terrain they will race on at Nationals. A platinum racer at Okemo might qualify for the silver division based on their result at the Nationals. However, participants can choose to compete in a higher division. For example, a racer that earned silver medal handicaps at the National Championship has the option to compete in the Platinum, Gold or Silver Division.
    Last edited by NCSkier; 01-20-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Silver Division Overload

Quote Originally Posted by NCSkier View Post
    Not sure whether this is going to be good or not, Platinum and Gold courses tend to be more challenging in terrain and course sets. The Silver and Bronze courses tend to be flatter and straighter becoming equalizers. The pacesetters ability to carve and accelerate down the hill is negated by flat straight courses. If one looks at the national handicaps in the platinum and gold divisions, as Monpick pointed out, most racers ski a division lower than which they qualified. If one looks at the Silver and Bronze divisions it is just the opposite, the majority of racers ski to their division. I think this will create an enormous amount of racers in the Silver division, with the racers moving down due to Nationals handicap always winning. I am a good example of this. If one looks at my record, I am a borderline Silver/Gold skier. When racing in the Nationals in Silver, I have always skied gold medals. When racing in the Nationals in Gold, I have never skied to a Gold medal. I do not think previous years nationals handicap should be the "Top/Only" criteria. I think that should be a consideration. If my national ranking for the year is Gold, I prefer to ski Gold, not Silver, based on last years Nationals(Yes I realize I can ask Nastar to move me up) I don't think it's fair to National Silver racers. Possibly have a Racers option, when registering, based on your National ranking that year, to register in your National Ranking division. I applaud Nastar(Or maybe this is USSA) for trying to create additional "fairness" at the nationals however I see this as being a disaster for Silver division racers. Remember this is Recreational Racing, IE FUN, not World Cup Cary Popour
    Good points Cary! Well, I'm thoroughly confused on the new Division placement rules! I am a Silver Division racer, and many times have battled Gold and Platinum racers who ended up in Silver division. I just checked my last year's results, I won my Silver Division, but finished with a 65.3 HC at Nationals, barely sinking me into Bronze HC. I have had Silver HC results at Nationals in previous years, but never a Gold HC. Seems our Nationals HC results are always a level lower. Now here I sit in NM in a dust bowl with very little snow, mostly man-made. Taos Ski Valley has yet to open our Nastar course, it's on the backside, no snow, no lifts running, hence my very first season in over 20 years of racing with "No Results", how frustrating!!! How am I supposed to qualify, unless I spend a lot of money traveling north. Based on this years new rules, which one of the 4 Options to Qualify pertains to me? Do I get placed in Bronze division based on last year's Nationals Final HC results? I've already won that division too. I would love to go to Squaw, never been there, and would love to defend my Title in Silver Division. But if Platinum and Gold racers get placed in Silver Division, chances of me getting on podium are like that of a snow cone in Phoenix! Which one of the qualifying options override others? Does my last year's Nationals Bronze HC take precedent over running one day this year with a Silver HC, or my last year's Nationals Ranking in Silver Division? Do I bother to head north to qualify, and then find more Platinum and Gold racers placed in Silver Division for Nationals? If that happens, there's no point in going this year, our family rule has been to attend Nationals every year if you have a chance at podium, otherwise we cannot justify the expenses. I absolutely love NASTAR and USSA, it's so much fun seeing friends every year, and hope I can make it to Squaw Valley, but the cards look stacked too high this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil-Feet View Post
    Good points Cary! Well, I'm thoroughly confused on the new Division placement rules! I am a Silver Division racer, and many times have battled Gold and Platinum racers who ended up in Silver division. I just checked my last year's results, I won my Silver Division, but finished with a 65.3 HC at Nationals, barely sinking me into Bronze HC. I have had Silver HC results at Nationals in previous years, but never a Gold HC. Seems our Nationals HC results are always a level lower. Now here I sit in NM in a dust bowl with very little snow, mostly man-made. Taos Ski Valley has yet to open our Nastar course, it's on the backside, no snow, no lifts running, hence my very first season in over 20 years of racing with "No Results", how frustrating!!! How am I supposed to qualify, unless I spend a lot of money traveling north. Based on this years new rules, which one of the 4 Options to Qualify pertains to me? Do I get placed in Bronze division based on last year's Nationals Final HC results? I've already won that division too. I would love to go to Squaw, never been there, and would love to defend my Title in Silver Division. But if Platinum and Gold racers get placed in Silver Division, chances of me getting on podium are like that of a snow cone in Phoenix! Which one of the qualifying options override others? Does my last year's Nationals Bronze HC take precedent over running one day this year with a Silver HC, or my last year's Nationals Ranking in Silver Division? Do I bother to head north to qualify, and then find more Platinum and Gold racers placed in Silver Division for Nationals? If that happens, there's no point in going this year, our family rule has been to attend Nationals every year if you have a chance at podium, otherwise we cannot justify the expenses. I absolutely love NASTAR and USSA, it's so much fun seeing friends every year, and hope I can make it to Squaw Valley, but the cards look stacked too high this year.
    Hi Lilfeet, As I understand it, you would be placed in the bronze division, based on last years results. However you have the option of skiing in a higher division when you register. As for qualifying this year. Contact Bill Madsen and explain your situation of not being able to race at least one day. I'm know he will waive that requirement as you are a Nationals Regular. I am going to give it one more attempt, with data from last years nationals, to show Bill that one shouldn't be able to drop two divisions, The bump rule for advancing only goes "up" one division, so the same logic/principle should apply when going"down"

Thanks!

Hi Guys, thanks to all for your input, this Forum is great! Special thanks to Bill and Pat for clarifying the new division placement rules. Option 1 overrules the other 3 options, and last year's Nationals HCs reflect a more realistic HC for placement. However, in my age group there are some pretty fast ladies in Platinum and Gold, but they all got Silver HCs at Nationals, hence an overloaded Silver division for this year's Nationals, and ultimately less medals to be had. Since my home resort Taos Ski Valley won't have Nastar this year due to drought, I drove up to Copper Mountain and laid down some Nastar runs to qualify for this year's Nationals. Yippee, mission accomplished! Copper is an awesome mountain, the racecourse was a bit gnarly, had a roll and knoll, a bit skinny with dual gates, challenging but fun, and the guys at the shack were a blast! I'm proud to represent Copper at Nationals!

Hi Lil Feet, Glad you qualified. I do agree last years nationals handicap is more representative of nationals placement, however I still believe its unfair to racers in a division that has racers coming down two divisions. There were three racers in my Gold division that earned a bronze handicap , that we not bronze level skiers. I would bet those three skiers would sit atop the podium this year if they choose to race in the bronze division. I see this as discouraging racers from coming to thetionals if they perceive they have no chance of medaling. We racers do look at the registrations in our division, via the racing results. This is not an isolated racer in my division either, while its not a every high percentage of racers moving down two divisions, it negatively affects more racers ihan it helps, in my opinion. The "Bump UP" rules only moves a racer up a division, when they race two handicap divisions higher, at the Nationals, I think the same should apply when being "Bumped down"
    Last edited by NCSkier; 02-18-2018 at 07:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread