+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New qualification and Nationals Division Placement rules....

Where is Killy's Run at Squaw Valley? I couldn't find it on the trail map (I found Julia's Gold)

Quote Originally Posted by CDRSki View Post
    Where is Killy's Run at Squaw Valley? I couldn't find it on the trail map (I found Julia's Gold)
    It's not labeled on the trail map. My understanding is that Killy's is adjacent to the current terrain park on the upper mountain. You would access it by taking the Siberia lift and skiing the Siberia Ridge to get to it. It is between Mainline on the map and the Gold Coast Express lift.

Lower Placement

Hi Nastar HQ, Where will a racer be placed, if he or she races at nationals in Platinum and "Only" attains a silver medal or a Gold racer who receives a bronze?
    Quote Originally Posted by NASTAR HQ View Post
    Thanks for your comments. Our goal is to make the system more fair for all racers and to reward racers that participated in the Nationals last season.It would be great if all NASTAR courses were equal, but they are not. Many racers have some “creep” in their handicap during the season. People that race often will catch the pacesetter on a bad day or the course will get faster resulting in lower handicaps. So, a racer that is ranked in the gold division may only be able to earn a silver medal handicaps at the Nationals. The new system would allow those people to race in the silver division but it will also provide them with the option to register for the gold or platinum division. We will need to be diligent about informing people. We will hear from people saying, “why is this guy in the silver division when he/she is ranked in the gold division.” The answer is, these people qualified via their results from the 2017 NASTAR National Championships. The other challenge we will face will be placing people in divisions when they change age groups. Racers that competed in the National last spring will be placed in their division based on their final handicap from the Nationals last year but within their 2017-18 age group.We understand the system is not perfect, and we don't want to penalize the most active NASTAR racers by placing them in a division that is above their ability. For those that want to race in a more competitive division, they can.

NCSkier, I asked the same question...it will be good to get confirmation. I raced in Platinum at the nationals last year and all of my times were Gold. Based on the way it was explained to me, I will be placed into the Gold division at the Nationals this year (as soon as I earn a Nastar medal in one race day this winter)....but I have the option to move up to Platinum if I choose but I cannot move down to silver. My Nastar results this year have no bearing on my initial Gold slot for the Nationals.

Looks like I am properly classified since I ran 65 Nastar timed runs last week and the best I could do was gold. Frustrating......oh well....

You can always request to go up. My question is how far will a racer be allowed to go down. In your platinum division at Nationals you had 3 racers that only attained Silver. In my Gold division there were 3 racers that attained Bronze. The current Break Out at nationals places a racer up 1 division.. Will the Break down qualification rule place a racer down 1 or 2 divisions?? Did you race at SteamBoat?? Pretty tough to score well on their regular Nastar venue

Quote Originally Posted by NCSkier View Post
    You can always request to go up. My question is how far will a racer be allowed to go down. In your platinum division at Nationals you had 3 racers that only attained Silver. In my Gold division there were 3 racers that attained Bronze. The current Break Out at nationals places a racer up 1 division.. Will the Break down qualification rule place a racer down 1 or 2 divisions?? Did you race at SteamBoat?? Pretty tough to score well on their regular Nastar venue
    I think the rules are pretty basic. National Championship handicaps will determine your division unless you opt to move up so what you describe will happen. There will be a lot of downward compression in the divisions. It will be interesting to see how many people get moved up due to the bump rule. The Platinum division will likely be pretty small compared to previous years.

I did race at Steamboat. Lower Bashor is pretty basic. The person that set the par time for most of the days that I raced had a handicap in the 50's. I saw that the Par Time was actually in the 14 second range a few times. It is really tough to know where you stand under those circumstances. But, it should be fun.

Here's hoping Nastar only drops a racer down one division.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monpick View Post
    I think the rules are pretty basic. National Championship handicaps will determine your division unless you opt to move up so what you describe will happen. There will be a lot of downward compression in the divisions. It will be interesting to see how many people get moved up due to the bump rule. The Platinum division will likely be pretty small compared to previous years. I did race at Steamboat. Lower Bashor is pretty basic. The person that set the par time for most of the days that I raced had a handicap in the 50's. I saw that the Par Time was actually in the 14 second range a few times. It is really tough to know where you stand under those circumstances. But, it should be fun.

I find there is a great deviation between resorts. There are resorts that gold is normal and great days platinum can be reached. There are areas like Mt Southington, Ski Sundown and Wachusett Mountain where if I reach silver on any day it is a bloody miracle. I believe that I am honestly a silver division skier. With three gold results I go from near the top of the silver division to the bottom of the gold one. If I got bumped up to gold it would be pointless for me to run at Nationals outside of the party factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    I find there is a great deviation between resorts. There are resorts that gold is normal and great days platinum can be reached. There are areas like Mt Southington, Ski Sundown and Wachusett Mountain where if I reach silver on any day it is a bloody miracle. I believe that I am honestly a silver division skier. With three gold results I go from near the top of the silver division to the bottom of the gold one. If I got bumped up to gold it would be pointless for me to run at Nationals outside of the party factor.
    You are right.....there are so many factors affecting different ski area handicaps (course sets, variation in pacesetter times, hill difficulty, etc) that it can never really be equalized and this isn't the World Cup. There will always be people in the bottom of the divisions at the Nationals. I spend my fair share of time there. I am a solid gold division skier but last year (due to variations identified above) I made it to Platinum for the Nationals. I finished solidly mid-pack but was about 10% behind the winner. Even though after my first run (realizing I had no chance to win) it was a lot of fun. Running a more difficult course was a plus and you always find the two or three skiers that are close to your level to battle it out with. And there is always the Friends team race which is also fun. All in all, as a friend of mine once said, "A bad day skiing stills beats a good day in the office"...... See you in Squaw...

My issue with the new qualification rule is not so much as up as it is down. There were three racers in Monpicks Platinum division group that raced to a silver handicap at the Nationals. With the new rule those racers would be placed in the Silver division at this years Nationals. Likewise in my Gold division there were three racers that skied a bronze handicap and would be placed in the bronze division. In both those examples I would bet those racers would probably win those divisions, Would that be fair to the other races??? Hopefully Nastar will only drop a racer one division, just as they only elevate a racer one division if they breakout at the Nationals.I ave been in the same boat, high silver/low gold. for years. If I race silver at the nationals i usually ski a Gold handicap, while if I race Gold at the nationals,, I think my closet sniff at a gold handicap is 5 points. The differences in the Gold vs Silver courses at the nationals is huge which is where I think most of the discrepancy will be. Using strictly Nastars rule I could flip from Silver to Gold divisions each year. Nastar has tried to change things to, what they feel will more closely aligns people with their handicap, however fixing some leaves the door open for breaking. others.I am glad to see that they have the option for you to register under your yearly qualification criteria, should you choose. See everyone at Squaw,My Nastar # is POP284 in case anyone was wondering about my racing results
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post

+ Reply to Thread