"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Thumbs up Squaw Valley! Hooray!

This is a great choice! I have been hoping that Squaw Valley would be chosen as the National Championship venue for years. As an aside, we are still skiing out here and Squaw will be open until the 4th of July.

Lodging recommendations?

I haven't been to Squaw Valley in years. Any recommendations on lodging? Assume that there are plenty of lodging options/dining options around the base.

Thanks in advance for the input!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monpick View Post
    I haven't been to Squaw Valley in years. Any recommendations on lodging? Assume that there are plenty of lodging options/dining options around the base.Thanks in advance for the input!!!
    The choice of lodging will depend on your budget.... as always. Perhaps NASTAR will have arranged special rates in the Village for the event. Squaw Valley Lodge is a very nice place to stay. It is just steps from the funitel. The Resort at Squaw Creek is also convenient to the lift, but it tends to be on the pricey side of the equation. Less expensive options are available in Truckee which is ~ 13 miles from the area. Traffic can be an issue early in the morning so if you stay in Truckee get to Squaw Valley early.

Quote Originally Posted by iSpeed View Post
    The choice of lodging will depend on your budget.... as always. Perhaps NASTAR will have arranged special rates in the Village for the event. Squaw Valley Lodge is a very nice place to stay. It is just steps from the funitel. The Resort at Squaw Creek is also convenient to the lift, but it tends to be on the pricey side of the equation. Less expensive options are available in Truckee which is ~ 13 miles from the area. Traffic can be an issue early in the morning so if you stay in Truckee get to Squaw Valley early.
    There is not alot of lodging in Squaw. Cheapest i saw today was close to $300 per night. Truckee had Best Western, it was over $200 per night, Tahoe City was mostly sold out(Expedia) Airfare into Reno wasn't cheap either, not sure it's worth it to stay 10-15 miles away, schlep skis and pay more$$. I guess i got spoiled staying slope side at the Ptarmigan Inn at Steamboat for $160 a night.
    Last edited by NCSkier; 06-02-2017 at 04:10 PM.

I was able to book a condo in Olympic Valley on the shuttle route.

I've skied there twice but don't recall much about the mountain.

Are any of the race courses accessbile to non-skiers? My wife is strictly a cross country skier. She'd like to watch our three grandsons race.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    I was able to book a condo in Olympic Valley on the shuttle route. I've skied there twice but don't recall much about the mountain. Are any of the race courses accessbile to non-skiers? My wife is strictly a cross country skier. She'd like to watch our three grandsons race.
    Pat, The slalom races (on Wednesday) will be easily visible from the Village if the kids are participating in that event. They are being contested on Julia's Gold which is served by the Exhibition lift. The same goes for the Team races if your family is entered in those. The National Championships competition which begins on Friday and continues through Saturday will be held on the upper mountain for the ages I think your grandsons are now. Nevertheless, I think that your wife can view these races on the finish area at Motts. She will need to take the Funitel to Gold Coast and then take a short walk up slope to the finish area. I believe that Motts is the run that you trained on when you were at Squaw. As for the other venues where your grandsons may race (Eagle Pass or Killy's), I am not sure where the courses end. I can't find them on the map although I believe they are serviced either by the Siberia lift (with an easy traverse to the top of the course), or by the Gold Coast Express. I have a feeling that Squaw will be aware of people's desire to view the races, so I am hopeful that the walk up slope on the upper mountain courses will be minimal (crampons not required).

Thanks! It's great to have access to local knowledge.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    Thanks! It's great to have access to local knowledge.
    Pat, I have misled you about the course locations on the upper mountain. I called the race department, and they tell me that Motts is what is called "Racers" on the Squaw Valley trail map. Killy's is accessed from the Siberia Express lift and is located near the run called Mainline on the map. One takes the traverse on Siberia Ridge to get to it. Finally, Eagle Pass is the old NASTAR run that you trained on, and the finish area will be accessible after a short uphill walk from Gold Coast. My apologies for any confusion I have created. I have called Squaw Valley to urge them to update the terrain maps to show Motts, Eagle Pass and Killy's specifically. Another thought that occurred to me was that your wife could take advantage of some of the nordic areas nearby. The Resort at Squaw Creek (in the valley) claims an 18 K course. Royal Gorge cross-country resort claims to be the largest cross-country ski area in North America. It is not too far down the mountain off I-80 just west of Donner Pass.

The schedule just got changed so that I have to be in two places at once on Saturday. I've done it before (send in the clones...). I'm supposed to be on Eagle Pass on the snowboard and Killy's II on skis. I found Mainline Pocket but not Mainline. Same trail?

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

+ Reply to Thread