+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Training for the upcomming season

Thank you, BobHarwood. I'm not above going to a Walmart to see if there is a cost-effective way to get set up with a HRM. I just need a basic set up - seems like an easy place to start.

If the HRM goes in the sports bra, where does the MP3 player go??? :oops:
    SkiMumster
    Faster...

In-Line skating

As far as I'm concerned, In-line skating is by far the best off season conditioning. When you become a good skater, skiing almost seems easy. The movement patterns are very similar. The muscles you use are very similar. The wind in your smiling face is also very similar. The balance on skates is harder. That is what it develops for skiing. Better balance.

Balancing and gliding on one foot is difficult for a beginner. Learn to master that and then skate on one foot by weaving back and forth for as far as you can. Those type maneuvers really build up the balancing muscles in your legs. Carve quick double foot slalom turns. Work on your inside edging skills. Look for parallel shins. Do not "A" frame. On skates there is no skidding. All turns are carved.

Learn to skate in the next couple of months and when you hit the snow, your ski buds will go holy s__t! When did you learn to ski like that!

My next challange is a unicycle. I just got one off ebay and will have it Monday. Better coordination, motor skills and above all balance. Good skiers all look so relaxed when they ski. They never fight for balance.

Re: In-Line skating

Originally posted by IN.racer

My next challange is a unicycle.  I just got one off ebay and will have it Monday.  Better coordination, motor skills and above all balance.  Good skiers all look so relaxed when they ski.  They never fight for balance.
    Good for you IN.racer!! You'll find a great community just like this one located at
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/forumdisp...hp?s=&forumid=3
    The members there are extremely helpful with folks new to the sport. You'll be surprised how many are from the UK. Bode Miller trains on a uni. That should be enough reason for anyone to hop on one. From painful experience, I recommend wrist, knee, and elbow guards but you probably already wear those while inline skating.

A few years ago, I was just completing a century ride on my two wheeler at Tiverton, RI and my wife met me a few hundred yards from the finish line with my uni. When I rounded the last corner a few jaws dropped.

The model shown in the photo is a 20". For distance riding I use a 28". A company named Coker actually makes a 36" model. I've been contemplating riding 60km on my 60th birthday in 14 months. Judging by how sore my quads were from Monday's ride, I probably need to start training now.

Anyhow, best of luck with "one-wheeling". Don't get discouraged in the early days.

Pat
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I have to admit I'm a little concerned about learning to ride this close to ski season. I don't want to break or bone or something serious that will keep me off the slopes this season. I would be devastated.

I picked up the book Learn to Ride, a Crash Course by Gregg Vivolvo. His website is ridetheunicycle.com. Looks easy enough to me. :shock:

Melior victus per venenum?

Originally posted by backtomasters
    Melior victus per venenum
    Better living through potions? Harry Potter wouldn't agree after his last encounter with Professor Snape.

I could stand some potions right now. I have sore muscles that haven't been used in forty years. Saturday I made my first stab at wakeboarding. I figured "Hey, it's snowboarding on the water". Give it a try if you get a chance.

Pat

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: ... been dyin to try that Pat. With the two legs on one board, it may be the right summer sport for me!
    Ron

I tried that a few times last summer....I think its more fun on a single ski, but then again I didn't wakeboard for that long....
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Slalom ski

Ron - the tricky part was getting up but I figured out the technique on the third attempt. I made one run on the slalom ski too and toyed with idea of barefooting but promptly rejected it.

Last time I barefooted was during LBJ's administration....and I still had hair!

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Re: Melior victus per venenum?

Originally posted by patmoore+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patmoore)</div>
    <!--QuoteBegin-backtomasters
    Melior victus per venenum
    Better living through potions? Harry Potter wouldn't agree after his last encounter with Professor Snape.

I could stand some potions right now. I have sore muscles that haven't been used in forty years. Saturday I made my first stab at wakeboarding. I figured "Hey, it's snowboarding on the water". Give it a try if you get a chance.

Pat
    [/b]
    Harry never really got to try the <a href=http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/potions/potions-a.html>Amortentia potion</a>, though, so he might have reason to be a little bitter....

Of course, if you are going to start exploring that route, you might as well go for the whole <a href=http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/medical.html>medical magic</a> thing...

Alas, for us mere Muggles, we've got to go with modern chemistry, and not potions....

Yeah, just call me a super nerd. (My secret life has been exposed. Oh. Wait. Maybe it's not so secret... :shock: :roll: *ahem. Nevermind. I'll just be quiet now... :? )

:D :D
    Melior victus per venenum.

Potions

Better living through chemistry sounds better. The finish to the latest Harry Potter book was pretty wild. I can't talk to my wife about it because she hasn't read it yet. Can't wait for number seven.

I had a blind date with a chemist in eastern CT a few years ago. Things didn't click although I couldn't claim the chemistry wasn't there.

Not long after I began to suspect I was dyslexic when I responded to an invitation to a toga party by showing up as a goat.....

------------------
    Back to the original thought - getting in shape for the season. No matter how hard I work on a muscle group. I never seem to affect the particular part of the muscle that comes into play on one one board or two. Riding an alpine snowboard early in the season is more than my left (forward) leg can handle. Half a day turns the quad and calf to jelly.

The season isn't all that far off and so far the only exercise I'm getting is 12 ounce curls. I was doing 16 ounces but they were too filling....

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

+ Reply to Thread