View Poll Results: Is Recreational Racing Seeing gaining in popularity?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, without a doubt and thanks to Nastar's Website and Bode Miller!

10 62.50%
  • Yes, because of new equipment AND the new two foot technique!

1 6.25%
  • Yes, only because of the success of the US SKI TEAM

1 6.25%
  • Nah, same old, same old. Areas just don't care about ski racing.

4 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone

Congrats and I think it is gaining popularity but not for any of those reasons. It seems like mountains are starting to give ski teams more and do nastar more. This will cause more people to watch people race then say, "hmm maybe I should try". Thus they get hooked on it and do it a lot more then tell there friends.
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Nastar Racing Clinics - A thing of the past?

Originally posted by skidad
    As a participant, that recorder deal is the best idea i ever heard.  I always wonder what I did right and wrong.  Never, even when skiing the best analysis I ever get is looks like you went wide on the third gate.  Heck I don't even remember which gate was third by the time I am at the bottom.
    Back in the "Old Days", when Chris Riddle and I pioneered the Recreational Racing Department at Snow Summit what set us apart (really nobody was doing this in the west) was our Racing Clinics for the recreational racer.

We took the concepts taught by our Junior Ski Team coaches and modified them for "weekend warrior consumption". After a year or so we had developed such a good progression that we had 40 to 60 people coming out for weekend "Standard Races" with coaching and our "Mini-Camps" that we would run on holidays, usually 3 day race camps culminating in a pro-style race with prizes.

Ah- those were the good old days. Now if I sound a little off subject from Skidad’s entry; I am and I'm not.

IT IS TIME TO BRING THE RECREATIONAL RACE CLINIC BACK AND DO IT THROUGH NASTAR!!

So when skidad says "Heck I don't even remember which gate was third by the time I am at the bottom", he can get real coaching from a qualified racing coach, not a ski instructor charging typical Ski School semi-private rates (I have nothing against ski instructors, but racing is a specific discipline. Having an eye and the communication skills to really teach racing is not something instructors spend 20 years perfecting, such as myself and of course most Junior Program Coaches). With proper coaching all racers can improve their Technique, Tactics and Strategy. Along with this comes a quiet awareness of everything that happens within the context of each run, in other words, skidad will not only remember that third gate but eventually start “self-coaching” dynamically during his race runs.

Qualified coaching that includes skiing with your coach and Video is the next important step for ALL Nastar programs. I believe this is what will blow Nastar participation wide open (it has already grown wildly from its low point in 1999 of 26,000 competitors to over 90,000 last year!).

I will be working hard to get this started at PCMR. Hopefully there will be a place for the Nastar Clinic that will not be considered an infringement on the Ski School business. Once again I hope diplomacy and sound business proposals will prevail!

Gary Dranow Fired from Park City, Big Deal!

All my Nastar friends and sadly must report I have been fired from Park I hope that it works itself out (and it should), but if not, after all is said and done I will post my entire story on the forum. The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This is a very unfortunate development and set back for Nastar as it has just lost one of its most fervent supporters, oh well, nobody seems to care.

Again, I hope people come to there senses and realize the mistake that has been made and I am going to fight this to achieve an equitable solution, hopefully that will benefit my passion, recreational racing and the Nastar Program, which I love.

Hey, look who was at our race today!

http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=r...29671&year=2004

Yep, Picabo! She came down and let me interview her twice and was fantastic - VERY COOL! She even signed my helmet (after beating by 15/100ths on one course and about .40 on the other, I make no excuses, she skied great!).

Thanks Picabo for the interviews!! I hope you do those clinics we spoke about.

Regards, to all, this will be my last post unless this all resolves.

Gary Dranow

Dude....That sucks. Getting fired for skiing too fast and liking your job too much :roll:
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Anonymous
    Maybe you handicap is too high? If yours was more like 4, P.S's would have been more like 1 or 0? Wern't you a 1.7 HC last year?
    John

It shouldn't matter what your handycap is as long as you are consistant.
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

Anonymous
    Silly as it sounds, I thought it might have something to do with why he was fired.
    John

By the way, we Kali-fornians may have to go to Utah to run NASTAR. No resort has run NASTAR yet.

There has been no Nastar in New Mexico yet either. Taos says they are to start Jan 12. One race at Red River during race camp. No other races have been run.

Let's keep the record straight

Originally posted by skidad
    There has been no Nastar in New Mexico yet either.  Taos says they are to start Jan 12.  One race at Red River during race camp.  No other races have been run.
    Guys, Number 1 - I was fired as the mountain hired me because nobody cares, actually.

Number 2 as an FYI, I have been working on getting Nastar to Snow Summit. We have had discussions through and fostered by me with both parties, Bill has been very flexible. Any Skiers in So. Cal. who believe that Nastar belongs at Snow Summit should contact their marketing department and request it. Before anybody does that (perhaps somebody - not me, should start a Nastar in So. Cal thread and get some participation) if its just one or two people, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME, THAT WILL SUPPORT SUMMIT'S POSITION THAT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH SKIERS WHO GIVE A DAMN.

Number 3. My Handicap was right on the freaking money and day in and day out I put in Par times EXACTLY WHERE THEY BELONGED ON BOTH COURSES AND WITHIN 100THS OF SECOND. The Handicaps folks were getting off me are and were what they should expect at the Nationals and against Bode, AJ, Doug Lewis, Zaminsky on longer courses. That is the point of what we were trying to do and our Department supervisor was completely happy with the progress as I assume Bill Madsen was.

I wish him luck and hope as he finds success I am allowed to go on with my life without furhter incidents.

Slow deep breaths my friend...Nice and Slow :wink:
    www.Paskiandride.com/
    ^^Check it out^^

+ Reply to Thread