View Poll Results: Is Recreational Racing Seeing gaining in popularity?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, without a doubt and thanks to Nastar's Website and Bode Miller!

10 62.50%
  • Yes, because of new equipment AND the new two foot technique!

1 6.25%
  • Yes, only because of the success of the US SKI TEAM

1 6.25%
  • Nah, same old, same old. Areas just don't care about ski racing.

4 25.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone

Gone

Okay Nastar ski racers and Nastar "Bullies" (aka Master Racers),

Your old forum friend (not troll), Almost50'nfast aka Gary Dranow has been hired at Park City Mountain Resort as the Area Pacesetter (I guess I'd better get serious :cry: ). [size=18]Thank god the exercise in futility is over!!!!

So to all my protagonists and antagonists here is your chance to shut me up. You are all invited to come to Park City and kick my A**.

To anybody who will make the trip to our BEAUTIFUL MOUNTAIN and post some times against me and BEAT ME (other than Bill Skinner, Bob Skinner, Scott Aldridge, Nate Schwing and last but not least HAROLD DEBLANC) I will buy you a beer (21 and over! Under drinking age I buy your dad a beer :wink: ) at the Pig Pen above Renstal (World Cup Ski Tuning).

We have INCREDILBE SNOW and its getting better each week so it is well worth the trip if not just for the skiing.

The gauntlet has been served - see you all at PCMR!!! :lol: :lol:

Congratulations, Gary. You are the kind of guy Nastar needs. Make sure you're handicap is accurate, A.J. is a 2 now, thanks to Bode at last years nationals. Everyone should expect to be a point or 2 higher this season. I'm just mentioning that cause I noticed that you didn't attend a regional pacesetting trial, and Park City should probably be the MOST accurate ski area.
    Just have Bode come over and race you :D
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Accurate Handicaps

Originally posted by jclose8
    Congratulations, Gary.  You are the kind of guy Nastar needs.  Make sure you're handicap is accurate, A.J. is a 2 now, thanks to Bode at last years nationals.  Everyone should expect to be a point or 2 higher this season.  I'm just mentioning that cause I noticed that you didn't attend a regional pacesetting trial, and Park City should probably be the MOST accurate ski area.  
    Just have Bode come over and race you :D
    jclose8, now this is the kind of response we need on this forum. Here is what we are doing today. Since Bode is a little busy at the moment we are having Bill Skinner (who had the fastest time off of Bode at the Sunday Finals), Harold Deblanc (second Fastest), and hopefully Scott Aldridge (I believe 3rd) all run to set the Par Time at our area trials (today if you can come out). Bill, for instance, is one of the top Master Racers in the US. Top 3 - 5 overall all year (Intermountain top 3 usually). They will all use their handicaps directly off of Bode at the Nastar Championships Sunday Finals this last season (First Generation Handicaps). Whoever sets the fastest Par time after 2 runs per course will be used. My handicap will be based off of this. I suppose I will be between a 7 to 10 handicap. I currently have a 8.95 off our Doug DePolo (our Nastar Race Arena Manager, real good guy) who just came back from the trials.

Of course my 1.34 Average handicap last season was ridiculous and I aim to put a stop to that this season. I assume, had I not blown out my knees at Maverick, MT just before the Nastar Nationals I would have come out with about a 8-10 Handicap (and probably not won my class, which would have been disappointing). I hope over the coming years all areas pacesetting standardizes so everyone comes into the Nationals with Handicaps close to what they come out with. Historically most racers come out of the Nationals 5 to 10 points higher.

I believe we will have the most accurate Par times anywhere with this process. Now I just need to run consistently this season (which I am known for doing day in and day out).

Accurate handicaps is why Karen Korfanta, the PMCR Race Department director hired me and this shows Park City's growing and continuing commitment to the Nastar program AND recreational racing. Kudos!!!

Thanks for the very intelligent and constructive reply!!! I appreciate the props!

Gary "The Nastar Bully" Dranow

Actually, I'm not going to be able to make it today...... :? , but nationals isn't out of the question. I've never gone, but everyone seems to have a great time.

Let us know how trials go today.

I have been to the last two NASTAR nationals at Park City Mountain and it's a great time.My handicap at the Nationals was about ten points higher than my average handicaps when racing against a pacesetter with a six handicap.Hopefully all the pacesetters this year will have a realistic handicap.
    Also a suggestion to the powers to be to bring back Doug Lewis to the Nationals.All of the stars(Bode,AJ,Phil Mahre,Eric,Picabo et al) were gracious and accomodating to the competitors but Doug really seemed to take an interest to everyone he spoke with.
    To NASTAR and PCMR, you have done a great job and keep up the good work.I hope to be back to PCMR at the end of March.

Good news for those wanting "Real" handicaps

Originally posted by nhguy
    I have been to the last two NASTAR nationals at Park City Mountain and it's a great time.My handicap at the Nationals was about ten points higher than my average handicaps when racing against a pacesetter with a six handicap.Hopefully all the pacesetters this year will have a realistic handicap.  Also a suggestion to the powers to be to bring back Doug Lewis to the Nationals.All of the stars(Bode,AJ,Phil Mahre,Eric,Picabo et al) were gracious and accomodating to the competitors but Doug really seemed to take an interest to everyone he spoke with. To NASTAR and PCMR, you have done a great job and keep up the good work.I hope to be back to PCMR at the end of March.
    Indeed, indeed. Its nice to hear racers out there want some standardization of the handicapping. Well there is good news! I, being Gary Dranow, ran against Harold Deblanc and Bill Skinner whom both had handicaps directly off of Bode. I will be pacesetting with a 10 handicap, a far cry from my year ending 1.34 national average last year.

That said, you can come to PC and be assured of getting a "Real" handicap. We will be updating our handicaps throughout the year as Harold, Bill, and I will keep dicing it up and readjusting based on Bill as the baseline.

What we did so it you all know our approach is I took 4 runs against Bill's best times. We threw out my best and worst then averaged the other two (7.9 and 11.8 ) for a 9.8 and rounded up to 10.

Be sure to say hello when you come out, I'd like to meet all of you guys on the forum, if you can make it that is.

Unfortunately I will be missing the finals for the second year in a row but that is another story for different forum (like the chairlift).

Regards,

Gary Dranow

Nice job, Gary! Everyone will have a bit higher handicaps this season, but I doubt we will have to worry about anyone beating the par time on any given day!
    Out of curiosity, what handicap did Bill and Harold use for your trials? Also, did you use a bit more advanced race hill? That seems to be the trend this season at regional pacesetting trials, which I like. On a 17 second, flat course with fairly soft snow, people can get kind of "bunched up" and have very similar times. As the hill gets steeper, longer and the snow gets harder, the men get separated from the boys. I think that is the way it should be for pacesetter trials at the very least. I agree that public Nastar courses should be a bit longer too, but we have to start somewhere.
    One great idea is the system Jackson hole uses..... I believe once a week or so, they run a "super Nastar" that is longer and more challenging. I'd like to see other resorts do that too.
    We do something similar at our resort also. Our night league uses a Nastar team format, but we have two separate courses on two different runs. Our "A" league is run on an FIS homologated GS run, while our "B" league is run on our normal Nastar hill. It works great! Advanced racers are not bored and beginning racers are not intimidated.

Gary, you have a great attitude and enthusiasm. You are going to be a great asset to the Park City race crew. Just remember, people can run gates at any place that offers Nastar....... its the PEOPLE (like you) that keep skiers coming back time after time. Don't ever let it be just a job, all pacesetters should be doing it to promote grassroots ski racing. After all, I'm sure you aren't in it for the money :shock:
    Anyway, its commitment like yours that will make Nastar the program it should be. Thanks for all the insight on this forum. Keep 'em coming!

By the way, I've been a pacesetter for years... and to answer your question, "J" as in Jamie, "Close", as in my last name, and "8"..... my high school football number (16 years ago)

A big Thank You

Originally posted by jclose8
    Gary, you have a great attitude and enthusiasm.  You are going to be a great asset to the Park City race crew.  Just remember, people can run gates at any place that offers Nastar....... its the PEOPLE (like you) that keep skiers coming back time after time.  Don't ever let it be just a job, all pacesetters should be doing it to promote grassroots ski racing.  After all, I'm sure you aren't in it for the money :shock:  
    Anyway, its commitment like yours that will make Nastar the program it should be.  Thanks for all the insight on this forum.  Keep 'em coming!

By the way, I've been a pacesetter for years...  and to answer your question, \"J\" as in Jamie, \"Close\", as in my last name, and \"8\"..... my high school football number (16 years ago)
    Jaime,

Thank you very much and coming from YOU the comments are especially appreciated.

You're absolutely right - I don't need the dough (yeah, I'm the C.E.O. of www.mortgagesmadeez.com and a software and network administration company - had to get the plug in. Discount mortgages for all pacesetters! :wink: ). We pacesetters should all get together to bring ski racing back to the forefront where it belongs.

Recently I had correspondence with Bill Madsen about bringing Nastar back to So. Cal and Snow Summit in particular. I worked with Chris Riddle for 5 years and we had developed one of the most robust recreational racing programs - maybe in history. This was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Then sadly it died in So. Cal. I spoke with Chris (I coach his kids, I know I'm a broken record but I'm damn proud of Bryce for winning the Boys 13-4 class, being Uncle Gary) yesterday about bringing Nastar back to Snow Summit. We talked numbers.

Snow Summit has around 480,000 "Skier Days". Only 184,000 of those are skiers. The rest have apparently NO INTEREST in racing. It is a Southern California phenomenon.

If there was a Jamie or Gary there Chris might consider running a Pilot program but there apparently is a void of people hewn from the stone we come from that would champion the program - pity!

I know I'm off the subject of the thread and reply but "I am passionate" about this. I believe recreational racing is exploding in popularity right now. It is the people who man the arenas and the department directors that sell their management on the importance of this program with relationship to the ski industry history. It starts with people like Karen Korfanta at Park City who would go out an a limb and hire a broken down old guy like me to get out there and paceset, announce (very important aspect of the racing arena) and promote by skiing with the general public (informal coaching).

At Snow Summit so many years ago we held racing clinics before our "Standard Races". We would put out 20 to 30 people weekend days and the interest was intense. I'm not sure many areas support their Nastar program with recreational racing clinics. You just can't send the Nastar client over to the Master's program, it won't foster our sport. Racers can graduate from Nastar to USSA whether Junior or Masters, but you can't jam them into those programs without a leg up.

Jamie - great to meet ya, digitally speaking. I don't travel outside of the Intermountain and my activities are hugely curtailed this year due to a fairly recent injury that will require surgery (I've got two severely damaged vertebrae in my neck from a mountain bike accident about 12 weeks ago). SO, please look me up if you ever get out here.

I will start a Pacesetters thread, maybe we can all have a meeting of minds and have some influence, who knows!

Thanks again!

Regards,

Gary Dranow
    C.E.O.
    www.mortgagesmadeez.com
    www.homebuyingmadeez.com
    Cyborg Information Systems, Inc. and

Oh yeah, I believe I was in High School (sort of) around 1970, can't remember that far back :oops:

'Twas Nastar before Christmas

[i][size=18]'Twas the Nastar before Christmas, when around the chairlift house
    The Racers were stirring; Even that old race shack mouse
    Their stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that fast race wax would soon be there;

The Race staff hurried reluctantly falling out of bed,
    While Racers visions of Zeros danced in their heads;
    And Doug the Moron, and I gone my with my pink slip,
    Had just set up the netting to stop the errant crash,

When out of the loud speaker did reggae clatter,
    You could here someone say; Hey its Christmas, What is the Matter?.
    Up in the start house, Dawn shuffled her papers
    She Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
    Gave the lustre of morning to the race gates below,
    When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
    But a turny race course, that was set with good cheer,

With a nutty announcer, so lively and quick,
    I knew in a moment Race time was it.
    More rapid than eagles the coursers they came,
    And they whistled, and shouted, Dranow called them by name;

"Now, Skinner! now, McCauley now, Sears and DeBlanc!
    On, Mannis! on Marshal! on, Schwartz and Bill Dark!
    To the top of the Course! They race through the finish!
    They dash away, dash away, they dash away all!"

And the last racer gone, his handicap known
    On Bonanza I heard a faint voice, echo on
    All racers we'll see you on Nastar.com
    Tis another season and the racing has begun!

+ Reply to Thread