+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: One foot or 2?

Software

Can you specify the software ?

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/ALL/index.asp

Here is the index page for the free software. Just go to the download tab and then free version. :wink:

Technique question

Okay guys.....

I logged a few runs on my slalom skis (160 cm Atomic 9/12s) at Okemo Saturday. I like the boards because I can get a much more pronounced carve than with my 9/20s.

In an earlier post I discussed the difficulty encountered when trying not to let the uphill ski extend too far ahead of the downhill. This weekend I was starting to get it by pulling the uphill ski's hip backward and dropping it down to the snow. On a couple of occasions it felt like I got pretty low and I had to put my inside hand down a couple of times. I'm sure if I saw a photo, it wouldn't look nearly as impressive as it felt.

If I'm going about this the right way there's a definite irony here. Until this season, I was doing exactly the opposite with the hip. In the "old style" I was putting the vast majority of the weight on the downhill ski, leaning out away from the gate with the upper body, and rotating the upper body away from the gate in an attempt to hit the gate with my back. Obviously that rotation necessitated moving the inside hip forward. This new technique demands exactly the opposite! Am I describing things correctly?

Gary - your analogy of a "bicycle turn" is very helpful. I was able to visualize the same type of lean with the weight properly balanced. And Bob - I was making a concerted effort to avoid the A frame. I found it was easiest to initiate the turn as I previously had done and then shove the inside ski's knee apart from the other one.

(Sheesh! I thought there was a lot to remember in a golf swing but this takes things to a new level.....)

Pat
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I was having some diffuculty with the inside ski lead too. At first I tried pulling the inside foot back which did help. However, I still was having problems controlling my speed on steeper, icy runs. So I started driving my outside foot and hand into the turn and this seemed to really improve my ski carve. Also I started (thinking) looking ahead and calculating my turns more. (duh) :roll: Anyways, these small but important movements (to me) has got my skiing to where I want to be. I never thought I would be able to carve rails on ice. Sometimes the speed is a little unnerveing at my age. :shock: If I ski today I'll get some Video shot so you guys can tear me apart. :wink:

+ Reply to Thread