http://www.nastar.com/articles/okemo...-championships
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Registration is open online for the Eastern Championships. See you there!

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Day one is in the books. Race of Champions, Team Race and Family Race Sunday.

Surface conditions created icy conditions but but good technique can handle it. AJ proved once again that he hasn't lost any of his consummate skills by laying down pacesetting runs of 18.99 and 19.05. The fastest racer on either course had a 20.81. I got to run head to head with AJ in 22.02 and that put me 7th fastest overall. The snowboard was a different story! The course won out on my first run and I took a gate or two backwards but at least I finished. The second run was marginally better. I need to redeem myself in the Sunday Race of Champions.

This was a test for the new software and for the most part it performed well. There are some remaining issues but IT is working on them.

The awards party was the best ever at Okemo and a lot of great prizes were handed out. Check out the pictures!

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    Day one is in the books. Race of Champions, Team Race and Family Race Sunday.Surface conditions created icy conditions but but good technique can handle it. AJ proved once again that he hasn't lost any of his consummate skills by laying down pacesetting runs of 18.99 and 19.05. The fastest racer on either course had a 20.81. I got to run head to head with AJ in 22.02 and that put me 7th fastest overall. The snowboard was a different story! The course won out on my first run and I took a gate or two backwards but at least I finished. The second run was marginally better. I need to redeem myself in the Sunday Race of Champions.This was a test for the new software and for the most part it performed well. There are some remaining issues but IT is working on them. The awards party was the best ever at Okemo and a lot of great prizes were handed out. Check out the pictures!
    Pat, according to the actual results page, being technically accurate, those numbers you list for AJ's runs are the par times based on AJ's actual runs of 19.74 and 19.68. Which, obviously, is still pretty fast.

The best handicap was - 9.24, then a few in the mid and high teens, with the vast majority in the 20, 30, and 40 handicap range - the distribution is as it probably should be at a regional championships. But you had to scroll down through the results to find this out. No way to sort to find this info out.

It looks like they're starting to work out the bugs, but the system still needs some serious work.

A few thoughts and observations:

- If you sort listing all results instead of just 25 at a time, a note at the bottom tells you how many total results - a feature I like. This should also be the default - list all competitors, not just 25 at a time as the default.

- It still looks like every run is is listed in the results - the default should be a competitor's best run only, and have a filter to select all results if you want to view them - but the default should be best run only - then you'll know exactly how many people competed during a race - using the Okemo Eastern Regionals as an example, the results in the Adult race lists 149 results - but with two runs listed for each competitor, that means only about half that total, or 70 or so, not 149. Default should be best result only.

- There needs to be a filter to sort by best handicap in the race - sort by the lowest handicap to highest, that way it's real easy to see who is the fastest on the hill that day.

- There is still no way to discern racer type - alpine, snowboard, or other groups - Pat, in your case, there is no way to know which were your alpine runs, and which were your snowboard runs - this needs to be fixed too.

- The columns need to be reordered - the headers should be re-ordered (across, left to right)

1. Competitor name
    2. Skier Type
    3. Male or female
    4. Age Group - gender and age group should be side by side, not 4 columns apart
    5. Course (green or yellow)
    6. Elapsed time
    7. Time to next medal (in parentheses) or just get rid of it, and if you've won platinum, don't list 0.00, just leave it blank. Looks like at Okemo, it only was working for about 25% of the racers - if not working great for everyone, get rid of it
    8. Handicap earned
    9. Medal earned

Placing the columns in that order makes a lot more sense.

- Finally, on the home results page, dont show a list of results at resorts by date - on a good weekend day in the winter, you'll have a list of over 100 results each day, which is useless. Just let the individual search for the results he's looking for instead of making a long list that's hard to search through.

And they still need to work out some other glitches - I clicked on Alpine Valley for 1/30/16 (yesterday) and got no data available - but I'm pretty sure they were racing. This is the stuff that needs to be fixed.

To give them credit, it looks like they're working out the bugs - I figure they'll have it running smoothly by or before the end of the season. Hopefully, resorts will return next year to use it.

Tiger Shaw and Bill have some real kissing and making up to do with the resorts - my guess is the competitors will forgive and forget rather quickly if things return to working, but it's going to take a major effort to get the resorts to return.

JMHO
    Last edited by Racer X; 01-31-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Racer X, I agree with all of your suggestions. Most of them are just COMMON SENSE and are things that should have been done right from the start. Weeks later nothing has changed? Very frustrating!

Cheesehead
    Last edited by cheesehead; 01-31-2016 at 05:12 PM.

What happened to the results for 21-39 racers? Nothing is posted.

Racer X - great observations and suggestions .Spent the weekend at the Regionals and a lot of hours getting cross-eyed muddling through the results .Things can only get better .The event and front line guys were great as always .

RacerX. Those are great suggestions.

The event ran smoothly and I think everyone had a good time. The party was the best ever. Most of the issues I still have with the program involve importing , exporting, and remote registration for my beer league. Running the program as a standalone at a resort is getting better with each update.

Clearly the reporting on the website needs to be improved. They are working hard on the overall system.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. View Post
    What happened to the results for 21-39 racers? Nothing is posted.
    I looked at the roster and everyone entered was either under 21 or over 40.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    I looked at the roster and everyone entered was either under 21 or over 40.
    Interesting

+ Reply to Thread