+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No more Nastar at VBail Resorts - Can't find the thread

No more Nastar at VBail Resorts - Can't find the thread

Anyway, I said in that thread that I would try epic mix racing if i ever got out there. 5 days to try at 4 resorts and I didn't. But had Nastar been there, I probably would not have, unless I wanted a Nastar ranking there, which I don't. But then again, I spend much of the winter in race courses racing or working, so I may not be the demographic to comment on Epic Vs NASTAR.

Stubbie or full size gates and a course don't make sense to me when there are bowls, cliffs, chutes, trees, fresh snow and steep pitches to ski. I avoided the front side of these mountains as much as possible and in the case of Keystone, when I realized I had to pay to take a cat to their bowls, I beat feet for A Basin and elevation.

But I do get why Vail Resorts did what they did. It's a Branding issue. They engage their consumer in everything they do with Social Media. They track your movement on the hill, your vert, pictures taken, epic mix racing...it's a full frontal assault of your activity at their resort, and they control it. You win little achievement medals for everything you do and you can compare stats and compete with friends fro vert and # of lift rides, days skied etc.

They engage you directly and frankly, I think in the current age of social networking, it is pretty smart, from a Branding stand point and helps me understand why Nastar was set aside in favor of a Vail Branded Racing Program.

I did free ski through Vail and Keystones Epic Mix arena's on my way back to the car at the end of the day (Totally by mistake). I liked Vail's, keystones sucked for anyone over 8 years old. but I assume this is where they ran Nastar when they had it.

Of interesting note is Nastar/Pay to Race is still noted on trail signs, chair lift maps etc. So a person could show up at the Epic mix Arena this season expecting Nastar, but finding Epic Mix. I think Vail resorts should have been required to pull all Nastar ref's since they do not offer Nastar. It's kind of a bait and switch this season and they are using Nastar's brand Recognition on signage to get folks to the Epic Mix Arena's.

I also wanted to wish Mt Brighton luck with their blow up stubbie gates next seasn. They don't have great skiing options other than racing and park at their hill. Those stubbie gates are totally going to suck and will likely cause some bad habits to develop when picking race lines. When they go to real gates at other areas or special races, I would expect their Epic mix racers to be either way wide or punching panels. Hope I'm wrong

I absolutely agree with Cinnci's comments: "Stubbie or full size gates and a course don't make sense to me when there are bowls, cliffs, chutes, trees, fresh snow and steep pitches to ski." and "I liked Vail's, (but) keystones sucked for anyone over 8 years old."

Keystone's was totally ridiculous IMHO. And yes, without league racing and race training I would not go to Mt. Brighton at all. I must say that the new race director for the League there did an outstanding job this year of trying to keep the courses in the best possible shape as he spent many many runs between racers smoothing out the ruts and slipping back the gouges. In years past that wasn't done at all during the actual race time. And having all the race course lights working for the first time ever was a huge bonus this year with the newly Epic Mt. Brighton.
    Last edited by TeamHub390; 04-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread