+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vail Resorts..which to ski (I know Vail is a dirty word BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by cinciracer View Post
    Did 2 days at vail, area is Huge, skied all the bowls, avoided the front like the plague...Birds of Prey Course at beaver Creek was amazing.
    You'll need to ski the front side with me next time. The front side has so much to offer because everyone is heading to the back which leaves the advanced area's on the front side empty and i don't mean Blue Ox.
    Last edited by BitterSweetRacer; 05-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    Sometimes the Dragon wins, So Be the Dragon.
    HOR356
    Powered by Blizzard skis, Marker bindings and Head boots
    Fueled by Knights in Shiny Armor, Raisin Bran Crunch and Gatorade

Just wrapping up a ski club trip to Heavenly. 65 degrees today and they've had only one snowfall since December. Can't blame them for that. HOWEVER.....

$11.20 for a hot dog????? They dinged me $5.80 for a cup of coffee.

When you go to a destination resort like this you should be focused on their strengths like views and terrain but it's nice to be able to make one race run. Despite today being considered a weekend by the mountain, the Epicmix racing employees didn't open the course. In retrospect, it doesn't look like I missed anything. Can you believe they run dual courses on this?

At least the views were nice. On the other hand it was raining when I took this one.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Well for only having one snowfall since December, at least it looks like they have a lot of snow.

My daughter is renting a house in Kirkwood for the winter , just down the creek from where you were, and she said they've been dodging rocks and raindrops all winter.

And my sister in SLC says it not much better in the Wasatch.

Can you say "drought?"

At lleast you didn't waste $5 per run on Epic Racing - doesn't look so "epic" at that.

And Mt Brighton, in my neighborhood, is still running regular NASTAR - just not sure for how long, though.
    Last edited by Racer X; 02-14-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: iPad formatting
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Bringing this back up. We just got back from CO.

First day at Beaver Creek, We liked the hill a lot was fun, Did 1 run of Epic Racing each. The "Gates" they use are strange but non the less we did well.

We went to Keystone the next 2 days. We actually liked Keystone alot. We didn't see anyone for probably an hour at Keystone. Snow was great. It warmed up in the afternoon and we expected that and skied 42,000 vertical ft by 1:30 on the first day. Did some cat skiing and Epic Racing the 2nd day. The Keystone epic racing is hands down the worst "Race hill" I have ever raced on. Super flat, no offset, very boring.

Then we went to vail. It wasn't horrible but I expected much more. The Front was so packed it was like skiing through a Mall. We where on the very first chair, all the way to the back. It had been warm and the snow and bumps where rock hard. We then went back to the front and did runs all over the mountain trying to avoid the mass of people. Most of these people shouldn't have left the bunny hill. Vail village was incredible though.

All in all I thought Keystone and Beaver Creek where hands down a better experience even more so considering the cost of vail and the mass amount of people.

Not sure if we will go back anytime soon. I would rather go to Jackson Hole, Snowbird etc.

Guess it's OK to chime in years late... :-)

I went to Heavenly in March of 2015 (just a few weeks after Pat). The racing was OK. Bronze medal people will like it - it's really flat and straight.

Beaver Creek is awesome. Just awesome. Taking a run on Birds of Prey is a thrill and a half. The racing is not-so-bad. I hit a few gates, which look like a cross between stubbies and those short, clown-like blow-up punching bags we boys had as kids. Anyway, knocked a few off, which didn't impress the race crew. I have to say, I like the length of the course and that the second half is not visible from the start.

As a mountain, BC is one of my favs. Free cookies at 3. Yum! (Northstar @ Tahoe has free champagne, but I never seem to get there in time.)
    Modern Ski Racing
    visit us at http://www.modernskiracing.com

But i'ts all beef, man. AAAAaaaaalllllll beef!

When you go to a destination resort like this you should be focused on their strengths like views and terrain but it's nice to be able to make one race run. Despite today being considered a weekend by the mountain, the Epicmix racing employees didn't open the course. In retrospect, it doesn't look like I missed anything. Can you believe they run dual courses on this?

At least the views were nice. On the other hand it was raining when I took this one.

[/QUOTE]
    Modern Ski Racing
    visit us at http://www.modernskiracing.com

+ Reply to Thread