+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Park City or Deer Valley??

Park City or Deer Valley??

OK, here's a massively important question to deflect the pre-Nationals gitters: which resort (Park City or Deer Valley) has the better Nastar course/program? We'll be there for 3 days this week, and we want to take a couple of Nastar runs. FYI, we'll be staying at Deer Valley, but skiing both places. Guess I'm just looking for the community "take" on both places.

Wish we were going to Nationals. Kim and I qualified, but unless the lottery comes in we're on hold until next year. Best of luck to all. Ski fast, be safe, have fun! Jim

I'm in park city right now. We've gone to Snowbird every day.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

The Park City Nastar course on Blanche is really easy, but fun. Although I have never raced on the Deer Valley Nastar course I did race on the course they had before they joined Nastar, and I think it's the same, and it is more challenging than Park City. You would probably enjoy the Deer Valley Nastar more, but I would try both.

I have done the DV course many times. I think it might be one of the steeper Nastar courses in the country, but don't let that stop you.
    I think it is my favorite.

I agree with everything said above. Darn, jclose - going to be there last week of March with my girls - interestingly they both qualified in the bronze division.

Park city is fun and last time I ran there two years ? ago, could do unlimted runs for $12 or $15 dollars. Was there earlier this year, but they were closed. I would call before going. It is less steep than DV.

DV is awesome in terms of two pitch changes and steepness - my favorite. But, it's expensive to run official Nastar runs, think $10 f0r two runs. You can also pay for timed runs that don't go on Nastar, I think it's something like $12 for 6 runs, another price for 10 or 12 runs - I forget, but less expensive than running Nastar runs. They give you a punch card, so if you don't get in all your runs in the day and are going back, they'll continue on the punch card from where you left off of - expires at the end of the season. You might ask if you can share the punch card or if it is only valid for one person

have fun

Thanks everyone for the info. Beer league tomorrow night, then heading to UT at 0:Dark Thirty Thursday morning. Looking forward to it. Best wishes to all for a great last half of the season. JDH

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    I'm in park city right now. We've gone to Snowbird every day.
    Jamie,

The kids and I were at "The Bird" on Sunday, March 3rd. Were you there? Got 3-6 inches while we were skiing - spend the entire day doing black diamond powder runs off the Little Cloud and Peruvian Express lifts - phenomenol conditions! Who needs racing out there when that is available!

First time in a long time I went out west and never hit a NASTAR course - Alta and Snowbird don't need NASTAR to make a complete ski vacation!

BTW, to answer the question, Deer Valley has the most difficult non-Nationals NASTAR course in the country - steeper, terrain changes, and most expensive too; Park City has a typical midwest style NASTAR course. Nothing special at PCMR. Deer Valley is special.

JMHO
    Last edited by Racer X; 03-11-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

And now the rest of the story-- we just returned from the Utah trip, and had a great time despite the sometimes skimpy conditions. We didn’t spend much time in the gates, but I took a couple of runs in NASTAR courses at Park City and Deer Valley. Your reports that the Deer Valley course is more challenging are all correct. The Deer Valley and Park City NASTAR programs are both very well organized, and staffed by friendly people. Made a Platinum run at Park City (first time ever – yahoo!) and Gold at Deer Valley. The Deer Valley medals are unique, and to me worth the extra fee. In any event, it was a great time. Thanks to everyone for your input.

I was at Park City yesterday and ran the NASTAR course a bunch of times-the non groomer snow was pretty much refrozen crud or hard scraped moguls. As other have said it's an easy pretty flat course-just go out of the gate and tuck. I couldn't quite sneak into Platinum, I was skiing on a older pair of 21M Atomic LT12s I left at my daughter's house in SLC.

PC does a nice job of running it-started on time, got my number right,cowbells at the start for the kids and $10.00 for unlimited runs.The Pacesetters handicap was 26 which seems high. I took today off and was almost tempted to go to DV tomorrow, but decided on Snowbird instead-LCC is a lot closer to my daughter's house. Back to reality on Friday and no more gates for this year :(.............

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Jamie,

The kids and I were at "The Bird" on Sunday, March 3rd. Were you there? Got 3-6 inches while we were skiing - spend the entire day doing black diamond powder runs off the Little Cloud and Peruvian Express lifts - phenomenol conditions! Who needs racing out there when that is available!
    Holy crap! I was there!... Didn't ride Peruvian or Little Cloud at all. Mostly the Tram, but also GadZoom and Gad II a little. Monday was even better. All that snow got blown around and dried out. Total bluebird powder day. Skied a lot off the Cirque, but also Keyhole and "Thanks for the Memories" off the high Baldy Traverse. Found some AWESOME snow and steeps off the Red Lens Line. Thunder Bowl and Defiance Ledge. All of those spots are not obvious to get to, and hold powder long after most spots are skied out. Too bad we didn't meet up.. I know my way around that mountain really well. Could have shown you some hidden gems.

This shot is from Monday:

OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

+ Reply to Thread