+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long do you use Boots and Skis?

How long do you use Boots and Skis?

I'm buying new boots soon and was thinking my old ones were about 4 years old. I was surprised to look back at a DVD of a class from Feb 2007 and see the boots I'm still using. They feel pretty worn out. I ski 30 - 50 days per season.
    How many seasons do boots and skis last the rest of you?
    LB
    WAL18

Hi Linda, I just got some new Intuition FX Race liners for my boots which are older than yours, but have a lot of custom work involved in them. I was reluctant to start over just yet with new boots because the toe boxes are punched for my wide forefoot, and the boot board is lowered for my super high arches, but my heels had started to slip, and the liners were packed out and not keeping my feet warm anymore.

Having the inside boot boards lowered this last month lets me get a bit more forward lean and a lower stance than before. I ski 30-50 days a season too, and have custom footbeds that were transferred to the new liners. The tech who heat fit the liners said that I can transfer these Intuition liners to a new boot and have then re heated to fit when I am ready to buy new boots. He recommends the Fisher Vacuum fit 110's for me when I am ready.

The liners were $198 installed, so you should do that first, then buy boots if that doesn't do the trick, and install the new liners. 200 days on the same liners is definitely too long. Love these new liners, they are warmer, fit better, and feel like new boots!

https://intuitionliners.com/the-liners/

I change skis every few seasons since I am still a developing skier and with he new technologies it helps me to continue on in my "learning curve." Better late than never......... :-)

My boots are getting too stiff to buckle, the outside shell has deteriorated noticably since last season. I have to fight with them to engage the buckle which hurts my arthritic fingers. My "custom footbeds" include a $10 Dr Scholls arch support on top of the one I paid extra for. My current boots are canted a few degrees too which I'll have to pay for again.

I'm a more agressive skier than I was when I bought the current boots so investing in a new pair (at end of season prices) won't kill me. I will make a note of when I bought these so I can replace the liners sooner than 6 or 7 years!

I have a pair of Atomic Hawx 120 on hold. When I tried them on I realized how much my Nordica boots had deteriorated.
    Last edited by LBWalkup; 03-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    LB
    WAL18

Yes, it does sound like new boot time.....and you'll probably love the Hawx. It's funny you mention arthritic hands. I always figured my knees would be the thing that gives me trouble, but since the custom footbeds, now it's my thumbs that are killing me. They are messing with my pole grip now. Dang.

Good luck in Aspen!

+ Reply to Thread