+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pace Setter Rules

Pace Setter Rules

​My question is two fold, first is it ethical, second is it legal:
    for a pacesetter to race in the race in which he pace set ?

Thanks for the responses,

RMD
    "The skiing is the easy part"

It wouldn't really make sense for a pacesetter to be able to lower his handicap against the par time that he himself established?? "Woo hoo!!! I kicked my own ass by a second, so now my handicap is lower!!!" :)

As for ethically or legally... I guess what would be the point? Bragging rights, I guess? I don't think too many pacesetters are scouring the database to see where they rank, although I could be wrong...
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

I race in the same race I paceset most of the time. Ussually its to see if it gets faster. If I paceset in my suit I will almost 100% of the time do spot checks in my coat etc if I think the course got faster.

Trust me I'm not going out there and snow plowing then doing a tuck run to the bottom. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me what the # next to my name means. I just try to ski the fastest I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanakry View Post
    Trust me I'm not going out there and snow plowing then doing a tuck run to the bottom. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter to me what the # next to my name means. I just try to ski the fastest I can.
    thats the sign of a good pace setter

Quote Originally Posted by Kanakry View Post
    I race in the same race I paceset most of the time. Ussually its to see if it gets faster. If I paceset in my suit I will almost 100% of the time do spot checks in my coat etc if I think the course got faster.

Oh, I most definitely run the course several times, just not under my name... I usually enter "FA" for a forerunner time in the computer, then we just edit those times out of the results.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

The league I raced in last year - the pacesetter paced and then raced. Mostly due to there only being a couple pace setters at the small area. I think he normally paced in a coat and raced in a suit - but since we were really just concentrating on beating the other teams not the numbers.

In our Monday league at Mount Southington, we have dual courses - Men 54 and under on one, women and men 55 and older on the other. We have pacesetters run the course they aren't competing on.

I don't participate in the Tuesday league which only has a single course. On those nights, they take the pacesetter's first run to use as a pacesetting time. The second run might actually lower their HC but usually by a very insignificant amount.

At Okemo, I paceset both courses in the morning. If I do take any additional runs, I enter myself as a forerunner and the runs don't count.

I will make runs on my snowboard to count toward NASTAR even though I was the pacesetter on skis. Maybe it's convoluted logic but the equipment is so different that I'm treating myself as a different person. (Send in the clones?)
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I straight line it and then get yelled out - hence I've never been a pace setter at our resort ; )

If the pacesetter makes multiple runs, lets say more than two and ultimately runs faster as the night and the line is skied off, how is that fair to the racers who maybe ran earlier or did not get to make multiple runs and ultimately find that perfect line?

Yes the pacesetters gets times get lower but the rest of the field actually gets further off from him or her

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    If the pacesetter makes multiple runs, lets say more than two and ultimately runs faster as the night and the line is skied off, how is that fair to the racers who maybe ran earlier or did not get to make multiple runs and ultimately find that perfect line?
    The reverse also applies when a racer takes multiple runs throughout the Nastar race and the best one counts.

+ Reply to Thread