+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacesetters handicaps

Actually, GB did attend the now infamous Nubs Nob trials of '08. If we compare the numbers from that day to this years Highlands trials, it breaks down like this: He had a 6.56, which was good for 27th place that year. I was also there, and had a 1.26 (5.30 lower). My handicap this year was 10.89. If we add the 5.30 difference, that brings (theoretically), GB's Hcp to 16.19.

That would line right up with your 10 = 16 statement.

All things considered, higher handicaps are better in a lot of ways. It definitely prevents negative handicaps, and also creates a little more separation in league races. I don't see a problem with it. We just need to change our mindset as to what "number" constitutes "fast."
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Lets put this whole handicap thing in perspective. As Jamie says, lets look at what number means you're fast:

Technically, a NASTAR handicap between 10 and 20 at pacesetter trials, means you're 80-90% as fast as Ted Ligety, arguably the fastest GS skier in the world right now - by a lot.

Extrapolate this to other sports:

-Golf - you'd be 80-90% as good as Rory McIlroy (or Tiger, etc; take your pick); there are many guys on the pro tour who could only wish this.

- Basketball your sport? You'd be 80-90% as good as LeBron - again, many NBA players can only dream of this.

- Baseball, you say? Means you could pitch 80-90% as good as Justin Verlander - again, many pro pitchers could (and do) make oddles of money with this level of talent.

- Hockey? (if they ever play again) - you'd be 80-90% as good as Sid the Kid (much as I hate to admit it - I hate the kid); again, many pro hockey players have made a career of being "only" this good.

- Football? Let's see, you'd only be 80-90% as good as Tom Brady............... and would probably be the starting QB for half the teams in the NFL.

So for us to say that you got a 10-20 handicap, and are only 80-90% as fast as Ted Ligety, is actually quite an accomplishment - and my guess is there are many World Cup guys right now trying to figure out how to get that fast.

So accept your 10-20 handicap, and enjoy the improvements you can work on to bring that 15 down to a 10.

That's what I plan on doing.

JMHO
    Last edited by Racer X; 12-18-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling and formatting
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Racer X, that is a well thought out argument and really puts things in perspective. I'll be attending the pacesetter trials at Crotched Mountain in New Hampshire on January 11th. If at age 66 I can finish within 20% of the guy who is clearly the best in the world I shouldn't gripe. I'm entering the trials with a much more positive attitude.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

My .02
    Getting to race directly against AJ at the beginning of the year was great - yes my handicap "sucks" compared to what I was seeing last year (except nationals) but it shows my real handicap. I'll be curious to see when I start racing daily and league races if it remains constant or gets inflated again this year.

Why does Buck hill get their own pacesetter race against their own guy? almost all those people went platinum. Now I look at the national rankings for my group and gee they are almost all from Mn. Why would they not have to race against AJ like everyone else? This sure makes the national rankings favor them.

That is odd. I wonder if it was a special race to accommodate a large number of folks who couldn't make it to Spirit Mountain?

The pacesetter used the HC he earned against AJ four days earlier so theoretically the HCs the guys earned on the 18th should be fairly accurate.
    Last edited by patmoore; 12-28-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by Great Banana View Post
    Why does Buck hill get their own pacesetter race against their own guy? almost all those people went platinum. Now I look at the national rankings for my group and gee they are almost all from Mn. Why would they not have to race against AJ like everyone else? This sure makes the national rankings favor them.
    Here I my understanding of how it works at buck hill - was explained to me last year by someone who races there.

They send someone to pacesetter trials to race against AJ. Then they hold their own event with a lot of their fastest guys to set their handicaps. For daily nastar they just have someone set the pace. For league nights there are always a bunch of them and they pick the pacesetter after the fact based on who seems to be doing "normal" (I think the look at the results of all the people with pacesetter handicaps and figure it out from there) which eliminates a pacesetter from having a really bad day or a really good day.

This is just my second hand understanding of their system. But it seems fair to me. Its no surprise that the fastest handicaps come out of buck - they have a huge race program. That being said, you might see a big variation when some of those guys race other places since buck is the flattest course in the state. technical courses bt not very fast.

Well I sure will be happy when my pacesetter resets his handicap so I can try and compete with alll those low handicaps from Mn. My son and I have been racing our butts off to try and get some low handicaps. The racing is still very gratifying !!!

The only way you can really compare yourself against someone is to race the same hill the same day. Obsessing on handicaps is a good way to drive yourself nuts

I agree with that Chuck but I am already way past crazy. Just ask my wife.

+ Reply to Thread