+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where did you first ski?

Where did you first ski?

I remember it well. My dad was stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany and we spent Christmas to New Years 1956 at Berchtesgaden in Bavaria. US Air Force Special Services had rental gear so my sister and brother and I got our introduction to skiing at a place called Rossfeld on the border with Austria. The yellow line in the image is the border. I was fooling around with Google Earth this evening and found the slope where I first skied. And yes, it was possible to go over the edge into Austria.

I stuck with the sport for six years until I abandoned it in favor of competitive sky diving. 34 years later I resumed skiing and took up snowboarding.

Where were you the first time you tried this sport?
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

My first skiing experience was not so grand. We skied on a little hill on the farm outside of Rice Lake, WI. We had skis with no edges and a toe strap to hold our foot. We augmented this technology with Mason jar rubber seals to place under our toe when it was in the toe strap and stretched it around the heel of our overshoe to achieve some stability. We also skied behind the car using tow ropes. We would ski in the ditches if the snow was deep enough or on the road itself if the snow cover was adequate (better for the rural mailbox problem). 10 mph felt very fast in those days. My first experience at a ski area was at "Mt. Hardscrabble," Rice Lake (northern) • 20 skiable acres on 150' vertical - Specs: 1 chairlift, 1 t-bar, 1 rope tow. Snowmaking. Longest run 420'. A pleasant little farm field; low costs, decent snow, fun place. Beware that the website is pop-up heaven." LOL
    In those days, there were only rope tows. As a wee lad my mom would shepherd me up the hill via the rope tow as I couldn't reach it.

Last edited by iSpeed; 11-20-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo corrections

Pat - my first experience skiing was also military related as my father was a career Army officer. We were stationed at Ft. Devens in Ayer, Massachusetts and my father put me on skis at age 4 the winter of 1961-2 at Benjamin Hill in Shirley, Mass. Benji's Bump as it was called was a small local hill where we skied that year and then for a few years after my father returned from Vietnam in 1963 when we were back at Ft. Devens again. There were only rope tows and my skis were wooden and small until I finally got a pair of real skis about age 7 or so.

Then we went back to Germany (where I was born) and later Italy so I was able to ski at a lot of wonderful places in Europe until I hit 18 and was on my own and could not afford to ski again or was too focused on my career and not in a skiing state of mind. I started skiing again in my 40's and have been enjoying it immensely for the past 15 years.

That's another great thing about skiing - if you take a break for a while you can always go back to it later in life!

CTC

I'm not really sure where I first skied. Might have been Birch Park WI or at Theo Wirth Park. My parents were not skiers but I remember going a couple times when I was around 8 years old. I didn't pick up skiing until I was old enough to drive.

Took beginner lessons at age 14 on a small 200' bump in northern mich called Sylvan Knob at the time. Now called Treetops. I lived across the street and uphill from the entrance and would ski from my house the 1/2 mile to the lifts. It was a bit more work going uphill to home after a long day wearing out the rubber legs. Have never skied Treetops so am not familiar with all the changes since the days it was a poma lift and rope tow only resort. And those were the days when it snowed heavy in northern mich from Oct thru March.
    Atomic 920 junk carver's 178cm (they hate ice)

Some of you have been at this a while! Makes for interesting reading. Equipment sure has come a long way. CTC, my baby sister was born at Ft. Devens in 1960. We skied a similar bump at nearby Hanscom Field.

Back to Germany.... my second outing was in 1957 at an English military ski "resort" at Winterberg in northern Germany. There were no lifts. We hiked up and skied down. For cross country we just released the hold downs for our bear trap bindings. I remember getting heel blisters from my leather boots. We did see a ski jumping competition. My dad had competed as a jumper back in the 1930s at Iron Mountain so we cross country skied several miles to watch the event. Later that winter we went to Garmisch and I got my first taste of big mountain skiing on the Zugspitze. I don't recall riding a chair lift until we got back to the states in 1959.
    Last edited by patmoore; 11-21-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

My first experience was on plastic yellow skis, about age 4, in the common area of our apartment complex, in about 1980:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.73768...04128&t=h&z=19
    It actually slopes down a bit from the circular sidewalk to the woods just North. Our apartment building was about where the South boundary of the soccer field is now...not sure why it's not there anymore.
    My first time at a ski area was at Hidden Valley, MO, when I was 12. Then at 17 we went to Monarch and Wolf Creek, CO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    My first experience was on plastic yellow skis, about age 4, in the common area of our apartment complex, in about 1980:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.73768...04128&t=h&z=19
    It actually slopes down a bit from the circular sidewalk to the woods just North. Our apartment building was about where the South boundary of the soccer field is now...not sure why it's not there anymore.
    My first time at a ski area was at Hidden Valley, MO, when I was 12. Then at 17 we went to Monarch and Wolf Creek, CO.
    You gotta come back to hv... when was the last time you were there? come run some nastar some weekend this year. in case you don't know they added runs on the back side of the hill and 2 more on the hill past the back side.

Well: skied 3 years ago once, then snowboarding the past 2 years, and hardbooting the end of last season.

Mount Snow in 1965. Wood skis with metal edges that were screwed on, bear trap bindings & leather lace up boots. Technology was more advanced at that time, but all we could afford was older used equipment.

+ Reply to Thread