+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nastar Midwest Open/Championship

Had a pretty decent time out at Spirit Mountain this weekend. Got there Friday around noon and got to watch some of the pacesetter trials. Snow conditions were pretty good on Friday and the weather was foggy. Got a goodie bag from nastar with some Nastar and Spirit Mountain swag.

Saturday we got rain, lots and lots of rain. Decided against the suit since it is not particularly waterproof. The hill held up fairly well, a lot of folks skipped their second run. Friday when it was icy I had decided that the iSpeeds were the proper ski to use, took my first run in the slush Saturday with them and then swapped over to the Progressors. They felt better - easier to ride the slop berms ;)

Wound up getting 1st in the 40-44 Silver group (2 of us) There was a little confusion at the awards ceremony, so I didn't get a pic with AJ on the platform - but I talked to Bill after the ceremony and got stuff figured out. I was happy to get to race Sunday. They showed a Warren Miller movie and gave out some raffle items - won a small padded top that I gave to a kid in the front of the crowd. They had a couple bands and a taco bar - way too much beer and then I walked back to the hotel.

Sunday morning brought another change in the weather. Sheet of ice in the parking lot at the hotel let me know what we were in for. The temp had dropped into the mid 20's and frozen everything solid. The wind was blowing pretty good as everyone was freezing at the top. Took quite a while for everything to get going and finished, they seemed to be having a lot of timing issues. The hill was extremely icy - big improvement over the slop from Saturday. I ran close to last and felt way out of control, had to bash a couple gates in the middle of the course to survive. I was happy to find out that I got 3rd in the ROC, if the pictures look a bit odd it is because the podium was coated in ice and we were having fun trying to remain standing on it.

All in all a good weekend, the weather could have been a lot better - but that is MN in mid dec.

Congratulations Chuck on your third place in the ROC! I am glad we got to meet, its always nice when Forum members connect at these events.

I have to second Chuck's comments about the ice yesterday. In town where we were staying it appeared to be drizzle, but it was sheer ice on the hill. I much preferred it to the rain and slush on Saturday. The ROC run was fun and I enjoyed it. The other women in the ROC (and the girl who won the raw time) were very fast.

I have been thinking about the event and how it differed from the Opens at Crystal. I think I may have been the only participant who attended all three big midwest events - the two Opens at Crystal and this Championship at Spirit. Since this event was "attached" to the pacesetting trials there were no racing clinics the day before and I missed that. Also, I think calling it a Championship so early in the season intimidated people...an Open where you just come as you are early in the season seemed to be more acceptable to many. For a racer like me who just goes into it as a recreational activity it does not matter, but to more serious racers I think it did. It also brought out better racers, particularly the kids, and pacesetters who stayed around after the trials. The majority of kids were platinum racers.

We got a bag with our swag that I really like and Spirit Mtn did a great job hosting. Glad I went and am relieved I qualified for Nationals since I have already booked the hotel and bought the airline tickets. With no snow in the lower Great Lakes I was starting to wonder if I would ever get the chance!

CTC

Nice job guys, and thanks for the writeup. I've never skied at Spirit, but it was my wife's home hill when she raced in college. Sounds like a fun time... I hope both of you can make it to the U.P. Open.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    Nice job guys, and thanks for the writeup. I've never skied at Spirit, but it was my wife's home hill when she raced in college. Sounds like a fun time... I hope both of you can make it to the U.P. Open.
    I won't be able to make it to the UP Open - Jan 13th is the first day of leauge racing for me.

I'll be there Jamie. I am looking forward to it. I liked the format last year with the Super Nastar and daily Nastar and then Sunday morning Nastar. You guys did a great job.

I've booked my hotel with the Nastar group at the Days Inn.

CTC

The results from the ROC race on Sunday are still not posted on our records. What's up Nastar HQ? Usually results are posted right away.....

CTC

Maybe they are waiting until they get the pics and an article up? Looking forward to seeing them.

The photos were on Facebook, on the Nastar Facebook news feed. You can see them there. I can understand waiting to put something up about the winners but usually the raw time and handicap is posted on the race record right away.

CTC

Facebook? When they have a perfectly good website?

Got a link, I don't do facebook

Here is a link to the Nastar Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/NASTARHQ?fref=ts

The photo is there. It also says they will post a recap of the event on nastar.com but I guess they haven't gotten to it yet.

CTC

+ Reply to Thread