+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nastar Midwest Open/Championship

Spirit Mountain looks a little like Marquette Mountain, a lot like Indianhead where the base lodge is at the summit, or even Powderhorn. Should be a great event.

Sorry that I have a commitment that weekend already and can't join you all. I'll be looking forward to reading the forum members discussions and seeing some great pictures.

Good news, the weather in MN has finally turned. Below freezing all day and we got some snow last night. Forecast in Duluth is calling for some snow every second day and temps that stay below freezing for the next week or so.

Been working on the getting stuff ready today, going to be a long week waiting for friday

Yes, the only positive things about the Bears - Vikings game today were the TV shots of the snow blasting Minneapolis. I can only hope Duluth is getting hit too. The snow looked marvelous! Yipeeeeee!

I am a little nervous that my first time out on a race course this season is this event....I will certainly be rusty. But it really doesn't matter, I just want to have fun.

Snow, snow, snow......

CTC

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    Yes, the only positive things about the Bears - Vikings game today were the TV shots of the snow blasting Minneapolis. I can only hope Duluth is getting hit too. The snow looked marvelous! Yipeeeeee!

I am a little nervous that my first time out on a race course this season is this event....I will certainly be rusty. But it really doesn't matter, I just want to have fun.

Snow, snow, snow......

CTC
    We have gotten 8-12 inches today, Duluth got 1-2. Wet sloppy cement. Good for snowmen and good to groom down to an ice base, not so good for actually skiing in.

The snow guns are running full blast at Chestnut, I can't believe how much snow they have made in the past 24 hours. They have web cams this year so you can see the snowmaking in progress. Spirit Mtn must have a lot of snow - both natural and man made. Should be great.

Any news on the event? How many people are signed up? Any last minute information? I guess we just get in the car and head north....and see what we find when we get up there. Nastar is always an adventure....

CTC

Hey guys FYI might want to check out the new Iphone app called SNOW PRO - delivers a easy to use split screen video directly to your iPhone ... Great for capturing split screen video on race day... see the Forum "Ambassador) for member who has used the app ... there is one video also showing the split screen on the iphone

Hey guys might want to check out the iphone app SNOW PRO Delivers a easy and fast split screen video directly to your iphone.. Great to capture your race days runs in split screen video... see the Ambassadors forum for comments by members ... and video example by pat moore

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1...into-Saturday-

Weather looks like it could be an issue for folks driving up Fri night. Looks like we'll be getting rain/ice in the middle of the state. I'm headed up Fri AM so that I can get in some skiing before the weekend

Report from Duluth - Woke up to a "wintery mix" this morning which looks like all rain to me. Maybe up on the hill its snow. Since I have skied many times in the rain in Illinois I am not going to let it get me down, but times will be slow.

Kids race this morning, adults at 12:30. It looked to me like pacesetter trials went well at Spirit Mtn yesterday, the conditions were excellent.

CTC

Sunday morning in Duluth. ROC is this morning. It seems trivial to discuss Nastar when something like the tragedy in Connecticut happens....

Racing yesterday was very tough. Rain/slush pellets all day and very heavy fog...surprisingly the snow held up for the warm ups, inspections and first run. The ruts on the second run were very deep and many racers chose to skip the second run. I did the second run just because this is the only opportunity I have had to race this year.

Spirit Mtn is very nice, the runs are longer than you find most places in the midwest and when the conditions are good I am sure the skiing is excellent. Duluth is lucky to have a ski area like this so close to town.

The race course yesterday was long and had a little bit of everything in it. I liked it. The top part was steep (reminded me of the Tyrol Basin start) and the first 6 gates or so were on the steeper part. Then there was a knoll with a hidden gate on the other side in the middle and after that when you came in with lots of speed there was a series of tight cranker gates.

The turnout was disappointing but from what I heard people were turned away by the weather, it being early in the year, close to Christmas blah,blah, blah and whatever. The racers who did participate were excellent, I was one of the slowest racers, and there were some Masters racers. It was an older bunch as well, not so many kids.

I was the only racer in my 55-59 age group so I am in the ROC today. There are not many women racers so the race will be over quickly (if it is not cancelled it is still raining) and then my husband and I head back to Chicago.

CTC
    Last edited by ChiTownChick; 12-16-2012 at 12:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread