+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The U.P. OPEN is back for 2013!!

Well, I didn't get the job in Seattle. So, barring injury, I'd like to come. Some questions, though:
    * In terms of NASTAR medals, I'm a silver-level racer. Would I be holding you fast guys/gals back?
    * What hours are the lifts open? My skiing but non-racing wife is trying to decide whether to come up also, and we're curious to know if we'd get any skiing time together after the racing festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Well, I didn't get the job in Seattle. So, barring injury, I'd like to come. Some questions, though:
    * In terms of NASTAR medals, I'm a silver-level racer. Would I be holding you fast guys/gals back?
    * What hours are the lifts open? My skiing but non-racing wife is trying to decide whether to come up also, and we're curious to know if we'd get any skiing time together after the racing festivities.

Chase, Bummer about the Seattle gig, but that's great news that you'll probably join us! Holding anyone back? Ridiculous question! The answer is no, but that's not what this is about anyway! It's all about getting together for some camaraderie and good times. Lifts are open from 10am to 8:30PM. Your wife should definitely come.... plenty of interesting skiing and fun things to do.

Looking forward to meeting you.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Chase +1 on jclose8's post
    I am only a silver racer and my fiance' is a bronze. She did some of the races and skipped the super nastar, it was a lot of fun last year, we will be back. Marquette was a very cool and fun town. I think we will be staying at the same place again like Chitown. (I'll be anxious to hear all about Lake Louise)
    See you all soon
    Rod and Kristina
    "The skiing is the easy part"

Rod, Glad to hear you and Kristina will be back. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    I will be back at the Quality Inn this year, it was nice last year and a short drive to the hill. Also, I got a great deal on Hotels.com. I am waiting until mid-December to book the hotel, I have to get through Canada and Duluth first.

Hope to see you there Sharon so we can catch up and have tons of fun again!

CTC
    http://marquettemountain.com/mi03_lodging.php

I just checked my 2012 ski reserv. lists and we stayed at the Days Inn last year with the group, and GB and Sean were at the Super 8. Did you mean Days Inn like last year or the Quality Inn which woukld be different than last year? Actually I can't even find a Quality Inn, so you must mean Days Inn.

Days Inn Marquette,
    2403 US-41 West
    Marquette, MI 49855 US

Phone: 1-906-2251393

superioroasis.com

Rates are the same at the Super 8, so maybe I should call and see if we can get a block of 6 rooms for all U.P. Open Skiers?

You are right Sharon, it is the Days Inn - not the Quality Inn. Sorry, I got them confused. I seem to be doing that more and more these days....I feel like an old lady!

I have not made a reservation yet and am fine with making one at the Days Inn with the group if you want to do it that way. I am coming up on Friday this year instead of Thursday, so I just need a room for Friday and Saturday. If you reserve a block I will just call them and reserve the room. What pricing are they offering? I got a great deal last year on Hotels.com, something like $74 a night or so.

CTC

Also Chase - you and your wife will not have any problem skiing/racing at Marquette. It is not as tough as you would think just reading posts on this Forum. It is a midwest ski area, not a resort. The regular Nastar run is a straight shot down, no tricks. I hope we get to see you there!

Sorry Seattle fell through, but glad you are still going to be racing Nastar in the midwest. Things always work out for the best in the long run.

CTC

The Marquette Days Inn group reservation is listed under "U.P. Open"for Jan. 11, and 12, checking out the 13th, either 2 doubles, or one queen, for $79.95 a night, which is the AARP/Senior rate :-), so not a huge deal but they'll hold a group of rooms for us.

Days Inn Marquette,
    2403 US-41 West
    Marquette, MI 49855 US

Phone: 1-906-2251393

The rooms can be reserved in the block until Dec. 26th by calling them directly. After that date any unrented rooms will be released to the public to reserve at their usual rates.

They do have other styles of rooms there if you need something different than what is in the group plan, or different dates, just ask.

Any suggestions for dinner on the 12th?
    Last edited by TeamHub390; 12-04-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Sounds great Sharon, thanks for getting the block of rooms. As far as dinner suggestions go I think Jamie is probably the best to recommend a place. The place we went to last year downtown Marquette was good.

I will book in the next few days.

CTC

Hmm... How about dinner at Casa Calabria, up Third St. a bit to Stucko's for a "Shoop" of beer, then on to my buddy Andy's brewpub, "Blackrocks." After Blackrocks, we can start heading down to our newest brewpub, "The Oredock," owned by my buddy and co-worker Wes (he's a full time engineer... Bar owner in his spare time). My project Manager Wade is a part owner and runs their marketing and social media. "Like" them on Facebook! :). Maybe on our way there, we could stop for a shot of Jameson at The Wild Rover Irish Bar. If there is anything left in the tank after the Oredock , it's on to Flanigan's for Karaoke night. The owner was drummer in the band Wild Cherry and he WILL end the night with his rendition of "Play that funky music"This little road show is all walking distance.....just a suggestion... Who's in?

+ Reply to Thread