+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ACL info

ACL info

Hello all. I am looking for some info. I ruptured my acl in feb. I opted for no repair and went to rehab. The first 3 months looked like I made the right decision. Now I have alot more movement of the joint but no loss of stability. Too late for repair now if I want to race this winter. I will wear the brace. Any one race with this situation. Did you find the more you raced and pushed yourself the less stable the knee became? I will wear a brace. Doc says see what happens. If t is a problem ,repair in april. Thanks for your time.

It's really difficult to brace an ACL deficiency. Did the doctor know that you were a skier? I can't believe a doc would recommend to an active person (especially a skier) not repairing it.

Some people seem to be able to function almost normally without an ACL (Elway), but most experience unacceptable movement and instability.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Thanks jc. I had 2 docs look at it. Both know I race . I'm in my 50's now . That is one factor used now to decide. We felt that if by May it looked like I needed repair I would have it. July the movement became more of an issue. I hope for stability. I'll see

I tore my ACL back in '88. I rehabbed for a few weeks, pain was (mostly) gone. I got a brace and tried it skiing.

If I stayed perfectly balanced, took it easy and stayed on smooth groomers everything was fine. If I even got a little out of balance or twisted in a weird way, I felt movement. I shut it down and scheduled surgery. The ski and boot create a huge lever arm and provide pretty significant mechanical advantage. The only way to know is try it... If I were to bet though, if you can feel movement now, it will only be magnified on skis.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

I've been skiing and racing without an acl in my left knee since 08/09. I did ALL the rehab and continued on doing it even during ski season. I wore a brace. I was about the same age, back then (48). I found that riding a stationary bike, even only 15 minutes a day, helped quite a lot. I was very diligent about exercising the knee. Tried surgery but there were complications.

Remember, you are wearing the brace to protect against hyper extending it and not an acl tear.

I've also found that if you wear compression tights under the brace, that helps a LOT. I wear the Opedix. In all the crud we had at the end of last year, I was able to ski three days straight, all day long to include moguls. Without the braces and Opedix I could not do that.

Last year I was skiing and racing wearing two braces (10/11 tore the other acl but had that one repaired).

If you are toting extra weight, lose it. Makes life easier on the knees. With out an ACL, the next link in the chain, should you have a fall that would normally tear an acl, is the meniscus.

I'm not sure I would worry too much about how lose/tight my knee is right now. Maybe you noticed the difference in July because the swelling subsided. I would focus on making it strong. At PT I had to be able to 1 legged hops on a bosu ball. Work up to that. Most people with an ACL can't do it. The bosu ball and stationary bike are you friends now.

My OS told me the same thing after the first one - ski with a brace and come back in the spring. I skied 67 days that season. When I went back in the spring, he told me he couldn't make it better than it was, but if we attempted surgery, it could end up worse. All surgery has risk.

Best of luck,
    Ken

ACL rupture

] got back into skiing in 2009, ruptured acl march 2009. Started biking may 2009, back on skis without repair dec 2009 with brace. Raced NASTAR one year with brace, then been racing without one since 2010. My secret is a lot of biking 1200 to 1600 miles a year. Keep the legs strong and stretch a lot. Good luck.

Hello Airlandsea, Dnurm and all. Thanks all for your feedback. I have had zero problems with the knee. With the brace it is solid. Would not know I had no acl. Gone but not forgotten. I do however have problems with my times. I have been slower than ever. I may be breaking out of that but not sure. I do appreciate your helpful feedback. I do alot of weights , bosu ball, balance ball and bike work. Keep skiing fast.

+ Reply to Thread