+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Handicap Chart

Smile New Handicap Chart

Hey Nastar Junkies! I hope everyone's summer is going well. We are roasting in Chicago and the drought is bad in Illinois. I just came to the Nastar site and noticed the new handicap chart.

From an adult point of view I really like the fact that the handicaps are not so generous for older women. I hit the 55-59 age category this summer and the handicap range is pretty much what it was for me in the 50-54 category. If we had had this chart last year I would have ended up in Silver where I belonged instead of Gold where I was out of my league.

So, good job Nastar. The handicaps for older women were much too generous before. Too many platinum and gold racers.

CTC

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    Hey Nastar Junkies! I hope everyone's summer is going well. We are roasting in Chicago and the drought is bad in Illinois. I just came to the Nastar site and noticed the new handicap chart.

From an adult point of view I really like the fact that the handicaps are not so generous for older women. I hit the 55-59 age category this summer and the handicap range is pretty much what it was for me in the 50-54 category. If we had had this chart last year I would have ended up in Silver where I belonged instead of Gold where I was out of my league.

So, good job Nastar. The handicaps for older women were much too generous before. Too many platinum and gold racers.

CTC
    As far as I know, they analyze results every year and tweak the handicaps so the percentages fall within the correct ranges. For example, the top 5% of racers in any given age group are platinum.

Edit: Ha! I guess I could have read the article first...
    Last edited by jclose8; 07-31-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Too eager to share my vast knowledge, when it was already covered quite nicely by Nastar on the home page...
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Hard to figure out what it will actually mean until I get to race against a pace setter. Mixed bag of changes

For my group 40-44
    1-10 was Platinum and now it is 1-12
    11-21 was gold and now it is 13-18
    22-36 was silver and now it is 19-33

Can you help me understand this? What does the numbers mean in each division. Are they seconds off the pace setters time or percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Can you help me understand this? What does the numbers mean in each division. Are they seconds off the pace setters time or percentage?
    It's a percentage calculation off a theoretical par time. Ted Ligety, as expected, was the fastest pacesetter at last year's Nationals in Winter Park. If I were to race the same course/same day as Ted and was 16% slower, my handicap would be 16. Since he can't be everywhere at once NASTAR has a pretty good system in place for calculating handicaps.

AJ Kitt travels the country each year attending regional pacesetting trials. Once he runs a course, his handicap is subtracted from his time to determine the time that Ted theoretically would have run. Then the rest of us pacesetters can establish our handicaps that we take back to our home mountains for the balance of the season.

Prior to last year's Nationals AJ had a 1.98 HC. On Sunday at WP his best run was a 3.60. I don't know if that figure is the one that is being used going forward but it would account for the bump in handicaps within the chart.

Since I'm elderly, I only have to get under 20 to get Platinum.

Bill, come to Okemo this winter and run our course!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Thanks Pat, I ski Okemo 20+ days a year, mid week season pass holder. Going to jump into the Innkeepers Series this year too. But I do need to come up with Emma Rose and run some weekends on your Nastar course. Probably need to make Okemo my home course.

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    Since I'm elderly
    Pat, you crack me up.