+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New Handicap Chart

  1. #1
    Senior Member ChiTownChick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    851

    Smile New Handicap Chart

    Hey Nastar Junkies! I hope everyone's summer is going well. We are roasting in Chicago and the drought is bad in Illinois. I just came to the Nastar site and noticed the new handicap chart.

    From an adult point of view I really like the fact that the handicaps are not so generous for older women. I hit the 55-59 age category this summer and the handicap range is pretty much what it was for me in the 50-54 category. If we had had this chart last year I would have ended up in Silver where I belonged instead of Gold where I was out of my league.

    So, good job Nastar. The handicaps for older women were much too generous before. Too many platinum and gold racers.

    CTC

  2. #2
    Senior Member jclose8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    1,997
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    Hey Nastar Junkies! I hope everyone's summer is going well. We are roasting in Chicago and the drought is bad in Illinois. I just came to the Nastar site and noticed the new handicap chart.

    From an adult point of view I really like the fact that the handicaps are not so generous for older women. I hit the 55-59 age category this summer and the handicap range is pretty much what it was for me in the 50-54 category. If we had had this chart last year I would have ended up in Silver where I belonged instead of Gold where I was out of my league.

    So, good job Nastar. The handicaps for older women were much too generous before. Too many platinum and gold racers.

    CTC
    As far as I know, they analyze results every year and tweak the handicaps so the percentages fall within the correct ranges. For example, the top 5% of racers in any given age group are platinum.


    Edit: Ha! I guess I could have read the article first...
    Last edited by jclose8; 07-31-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Too eager to share my vast knowledge, when it was already covered quite nicely by Nastar on the home page...
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member chuckp7600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victoria, MN
    Posts
    730
    Hard to figure out what it will actually mean until I get to race against a pace setter. Mixed bag of changes

    For my group 40-44
    1-10 was Platinum and now it is 1-12
    11-21 was gold and now it is 13-18
    22-36 was silver and now it is 19-33

  4. #4
    Can you help me understand this? What does the numbers mean in each division. Are they seconds off the pace setters time or percentage?

  5. #5
    Administrator patmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ludlow, VT
    Posts
    2,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Can you help me understand this? What does the numbers mean in each division. Are they seconds off the pace setters time or percentage?
    It's a percentage calculation off a theoretical par time. Ted Ligety, as expected, was the fastest pacesetter at last year's Nationals in Winter Park. If I were to race the same course/same day as Ted and was 16% slower, my handicap would be 16. Since he can't be everywhere at once NASTAR has a pretty good system in place for calculating handicaps.

    AJ Kitt travels the country each year attending regional pacesetting trials. Once he runs a course, his handicap is subtracted from his time to determine the time that Ted theoretically would have run. Then the rest of us pacesetters can establish our handicaps that we take back to our home mountains for the balance of the season.

    Prior to last year's Nationals AJ had a 1.98 HC. On Sunday at WP his best run was a 3.60. I don't know if that figure is the one that is being used going forward but it would account for the bump in handicaps within the chart.

    Since I'm elderly, I only have to get under 20 to get Platinum.

    Bill, come to Okemo this winter and run our course!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

    SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com


  6. #6
    Thanks Pat, I ski Okemo 20+ days a year, mid week season pass holder. Going to jump into the Innkeepers Series this year too. But I do need to come up with Emma Rose and run some weekends on your Nastar course. Probably need to make Okemo my home course.

  7. #7
    Senior Member IN.racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    Since I'm elderly
    Pat, you crack me up.
    Powered by Stockli/Marker/Technica ~ Because Gear Matters

  8. #8
    IN - Yeah Pat can only use that designation when he needs to use a walker to get to the lift line.... he's a legit fast guy!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crested Butte, CO
    Posts
    119
    I looked at my handicaps from season before last and it looks as if I will do about as well this coming season even if my handicaps go up (or is that down?). Unfortunately I probably won't be any faster while on course. Bigger problems for me than a new handicap chart include how left knee works after surgery last December, if the area even has NASTAR, and if they have it where will it be on the mountain.

    Pat wrote: "Since I'm elderly, I only have to get under 20 to get Platinum.". Guess that makes me more that elderly as I've only gotta beat 25 for platinum.

    Eager for another ski season.

    Slats
    Lots of years, lots of fun.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Stockliman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    Since I'm elderly, I only have to get under 20 to get Platinum.
    They'll probably be pulling your feeding tube any day now!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts