+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New Junior Age Categories

Okay so now it is a discussion about ethics. I agree that if someone who is an accomplished ski racer games the system in order race in a category below their ability level at Nationals is unethical. I do not see why someone who has abilities would be considered unethical if they qualified to go in the category they truly belong in. Please tell me what the fast Platinum racer is taking away from the Gold, Silver and Bronze racers at Nationals that makes it unethical for them to go?

I don't know what else I can add to explain the ethics of good sportsmanship to you. If you honestly do not understand this, I not only feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by offthecouch View Post
    I don't know what else I can add to explain the ethics of good sportsmanship to you. If you honestly do not understand this, I not only feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for your kids.
    I'm not speaking for hga, but personally, I know exactly what good sportsmanship looks like. (I suspect hga does too).

My question is still how should Nastar legislate this via their rule system, and how is this their fault???

Should they write in a rule that says "Nastar nationals is for recreational ski racers... and ethically, you should know who you are. If you are really good at ski racing, a National Championship race is not for you." ???
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

OTC,
    Why the personal attacks? We have different opinions on the subject and honestly I, and others, have asked you questions to get a better understanding of your position. Not once have you actually answered any of those questions in this thread. Your comment about me not seeing the forest through the trees was just a form of passively aggressively calling me an idiot. Then you say you feel sorry for me, and now you bring my kids into it regarding ethics and sportsmanship. Once again a personal attack. What next bring my 83 year old mom into the picture? OTC you do not know me, and to insinuate that I do not know anything about sportsmanship is just absurd. I have actually won sportsmanship awards on a few occasions over the years as a competitor. To this day I get parents and coaches from other teams complement me on how I am a positive influence on not only the kids I coach but how I interact and provide positive support to kids on other teams. I consistently get asked by other organizations if I would like to come and work, or coach, for them. None of that would have happened if I was unethical, and or, did not know what sportsmanship was all about. So stop the personal attacks towards me, and others, that do not agree with your opinions. I am done wasting my time with you.
    Last edited by hga1976; 08-31-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: font size

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    Should they write in a rule that says "Nastar nationals is for recreational ski racers... and ethically, you should know who you are. If you are really good at ski racing, a National Championship race is not for you." ???
    Jclose8, Maybe they should put in the rules that anyone under an 8 handicap can not go to Nationals. Why 8? I don't know but anyone that is only 8 percent behind Ted Ligity must be pretty darn accomplished and ethically should not be allowed in. You probably could even take that up to a 10 or so now that I think about it.

So "I won 20 bucks in a bowling tournament and lost my amatuer status"............does this mean that I'm out ???
    "The skiing is the easy part"

I was done too, but I since you feel I skirt the answers I will give it one last shot before Bear locks this. There should not be one defining rule such as a handicap limit. As I have said repeatedly it should be a gut feeling. "Does my kid belong in this race"? In forming that answer parents should consider if the kid has other outlets to advance their ability or race against their age and ability peers. USSA gives kids that chance. Recreational to me is kids who have not proven themselves to either have the consistant ability or commitment yet to join USSA (I am not going to debate what ability and commitment means). So there could easily be Platnium kids in Nationals who totally belong there. But then they should move on to USSA or similar. If a kid qualifies for USSA Junior Olympics I THINK (this is forum...all about opinions) they should not attend Nastar Nationals. Please re-read my thread under the Championships heading about if the Chile trip is changing the spirit of Nationals. (Look for the lock on the icon.) In there is my answer to jclose on what should Nastar do to maintain this as a recreational race. Things changed when they added that trip.
    Have I answered everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Danko View Post
    So "I won 20 bucks in a bowling tournament and lost my amatuer status"............does this mean that I'm out ???
    You won 20 bucks in a bowling tournament!? Nice Job, Rod. You must be quite accomplished at bowling.

"Pro bowler" That has a nice ring to it!
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

+ Reply to Thread