+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Junior Age Categories

Quote Originally Posted by offthecouch View Post
    No NOT good. When accomplished USSA kids sign up for a recreational race that is a sham.
    Now when Nastar kids want to reach out and step up to USSA, YES, that is a good thing. But not the other way around.
    OTC, would it make you feel better if only "non-accomplished" USSA kids signed up?

Oh and I agree with the age bracket changes

I'm not going to debate the semantics of 'accomplished' here. You can not deny the fact though that the idea of kids (and older) who are obviously beyond the ability level meant for Nastar Nationals is still a relevent topic. Just check out my thread "Is the Chile trip changing the spirit of Nationals", found in the Championships category. Despite Bear's attempts to shut the conversation down it has received over 2,000 hits (most after it was locked and still coming in daily). So obviously I have hit a nerve here.

obviously beyond the ability level meant for Nastar Nationals
    What is the ability level that is meant for Nastar Nationals?
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Just for the sake of convenience I am going to use dollar amounts spent for a comparison.
    If a USSA kid is spending more than $1,000
    ($125 National fees, $350 regional fees, $300-400 club fees, $250 race weekend coaches fees)
    for for a 5 weekend (2 runs Sat and Sun $100 per race) season, that kid is no longer a recreational racer.
    Are there some kids out there whose parents spend that money but the kids are still snow plowing through the course? Sure, but those (hopefully) are the exception. But if your kid is still happy in a $6 race and still advancing in the Nastar system, still moving up the medals brackets, then good for you and go on out to Nationals, that is the ability level appropriate for that race.
    $$ spent= performance.
    Just like if JClose was to pull up next to me in his Porsche, is it fair that he beat me off the light while I putt away in my 10 year old Ford Fiesta. No contest.
    Dollars equal performance.

Ok, so $1000 is the cutoff? Cool. For $75, our local kids can participate in our MMRT program. This includes training (with USSA coaches) on Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Sunday afternoon as well as races every Saturday.

There are at least 3 USSA race weekends at Marquette Mountain, which cost $30 per weekend. So for $90, plus the $125 USSA Membership, the kids can get in 24 USSA race runs (2 races per day, 2 runs per race).

TONS of racing and training AND they stay under the $1000 limit! Awesome. We can totally get around this "accomplished racer" thing.....

Lucky you. Say yah to da UP!

Lucky you. Say yah to da UP!
    OTC get your bumper sticker here:
    http://www.copperconnection.com/bump...-eh-p-250.html
    Last edited by cinciracer; 06-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.

So J-bro, not to disrupte your gloating but I do need to give you some bad news. I suspect your kids are young so you have not experienced this yet but USSA racing in Marquette is no cheaper than the rest of the country. This bothered me because I know that most of our regional fees go towards the US ski team in the form of a head tax. So why were the Marquette kids allowed to race without supporting the US ski team like the rest of us? Turns out they're not. Region 2 USSA fees are $285. Then for proper USSA training you need to join a club...GLSA (Marquette's Great Lakes Ski Academy) where fees range from $530 -$680 plus $60 per race weekend for coaching support at races. And then every kid pays the for their USSA license of $125. That all adds up to well over $1,000.
    So even those up in God's country have to pay dearly to race.

So J-bro, not to disrupte your gloating but I do need to give you some bad news. I suspect your kids are young so you have not experienced this yet but USSA racing in Marquette is no cheaper than the rest of the country. This bothered me because I know that most of our regional fees go towards the US ski team in the form of a head tax. So why were the Marquette kids allowed to race without supporting the US ski team like the rest of us? Turns out they're not. Region 2 USSA fees are $285. Then for proper USSA training you need to join a club...GLSA (Marquette's Great Lakes Ski Academy) where fees range from $530 -$680 plus $60 per race weekend for coaching support at races. And then every kid pays the for their USSA license of $125. That all adds up to well over $1,000.
    So even those up in God's country have to pay dearly to race.

Forgot to add in the Region II fees.

And yes, you can join GLSA if you wish, but there are plenty of training opportunities without GLSA.

You are missing my point anyway.... I'm just saying your "Dollars spent on skiing" criteria for Nastar participation is ridiculous. There are some very good racers that spend very little and there are also people that spend tons and are still slow.

Nastar is open to anyone. If someone wants to enter Nastar Nationals, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    Nastar is open to anyone. If someone wants to enter Nastar Nationals, they should.
    Well said!

+ Reply to Thread