+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the rationale behind NASTAR's "modified GS"???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny V.` View Post
    racing experience other than NASTAR such as beer league, Masters, High School or college.
    And those programs feature real disciplines, such as Giant Slalom.

Not trying to pick on you Villa, but I'll paraphrase Frank Zappa and suggest that you "Just shut up and race!"
    I wish everyone who sporadically posts on this forum would do the same.

whad''ya expect for nothing? -rubber bisquite?

The rationale is simple. It's fun and it reaches the widest format by playing to the greatest common denominator.....folks at their local resort looking for something else to do at the area they are visiting. (See OG Post about racer days and such)

Those first timers and once in a whiles are my favorite racers...they seem to enjoy it the most, don't take it to seriously and don't get caught up in the whining.................

P.S. It's the infrequent posters that make some of the best points. Frank Zappa...classic

Banned
    I'm not asking what the rationale is for Nastar; I'm asking what the rationale is for a modified GS.

Not sure one can argue modified GS is fun for all types of racers, and regular GS is hard, boring, and dangerous.

Puhhleeeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    I'm not asking what the rationale is for Nastar; I'm asking what the rationale is for a modified GS.

Not sure one can argue modified GS is fun for all types of racers, and regular GS is hard, boring, and dangerous.

Puhhleeeeze.
    You didn't read my post about hill space? THAT is the rationale. We set the courses that we can, given the space and terrain available. Some Nastar's are pretty much GS courses. If they tried to set a real GS at Boston Mills (for example) there would be about 4 gates. If they tried to set a turny course on Cheers or Birch Run (for example) you would nearly come to a stop.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Banned
    Yeah, I read your post, jclose8.

If that is the only rationale, at real hills (i.e. Nationals???) where they have the space, they ought to set real GS sets.

At my hill we have 7-9 gates, depending on the day, and it is more like real GS. By your own claim, 8 gates would still not be "real GS," but it is substantially more "spacious" and offset than anything I saw at WP. The courses at WP more closly resembled WC SL sets than they did GS sets.

In the future I hope Nationals offers an SL day with the air-kipp gates... then they can have real GS. That way, there can be awards for SL, GS, and combined. What fun that would be!

In the future I hope Nationals offers an SL day with the air-kipp gates... then they can have real GS. That way, there can be awards for SL, GS, and combined. What fun that would be!
    And I hope my bank gives me a million dollars but that's not how it works.
    Head World Cup i.Speed SW SP13 175 cm
    Head Free Flex Pro 14
    Head Raptor 130 RS
    Leki World Cup GS Trigger S

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    And I hope my bank gives me a million dollars but that's not how it works.
    I don't think having optional air-kipp SL at Nationals would be so out of the question, nor would be having real GS.

That way, there can be awards for SL, GS, and combined. What fun that would be!
    Oh no! The awards ceremony is long enough as it is, adding two more rounds of awards we'd be there till 3 in the morning! ;)

Yeah, I read your post, jclose8.

If that is the only rationale, at real hills (i.e. Nationals???) where they have the space, they ought to set real GS sets.
    To set "Real GS", as you call it, at Nationals would take up way more space than they currently use. The National courses are set like most duals are set, just like the old Pro format. To set regulation GS on those same hills would mean only one course were they now set two. Never going to happen. If that is what you want then I suggest you try some masters races.

By the way USSA FIS Sl sets are between 6 and 13 meters, turning gate to turning gate, and in no way resemble what is set at Nationals.
    Last edited by hga1976; 04-13-2012 at 05:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread