+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the rationale behind NASTAR's "modified GS"???

So you mean if I somehow get over to Kitzbuhel or Val d'isere I won't be able to take unlimited runs for $10/day ???
    "The skiing is the easy part"

Wouldn't speeds be a lot higher with a FIS style GS course?

Quote Originally Posted by glacialmoraine View Post
    Wouldn't speeds be a lot higher with a FIS style GS course?
    Yes they would be, and the risk of injury would also go up.

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    I think regular GS would be easier.
    It may be inviting and it clearly is a different disipline but it would not be easier. Actually just the opposite. To run a true FIS GS and be competitive would require a greater degree of skill that the average Nastar participant does not have. Speed is increased and the time differential between participants that have higher skills compared to those that do not would be even greater than it already is. If you think the avergage handicap is going up now put this group on a FIS GS course and handicaps will explode.

[QUOTE=villaski;29455]If Nastar wants to be a more integral pipeline to the USST, as they seem to want to be, then they ought to run a real discipline.

The pipeline to the USST is through the USSA system.

I am not sure that is what Nastar wants to be. I feel they try to provide a medium that skiers of all ages and all abilities can go out and race within a system that allows that diverse group to compare themselves to others. Not perfect, but pretty good or it would not have survived for as long as it has.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hga1976 View Post
    Yes they would be, and the risk of injury would also go up.
    NASTAR wouldn't hold Gold and Platinum races on Lower Hughes if speed and risk of injury were things they would want to mitigate the risk of.

Period.

And, if FIS GS sets were really that hard, well then that's the kind of course that the Golds and Platinums should run at regional and National competition. A WC-caliber hill with an easy, lightened modified GS set? Huh!?
    Last edited by villaski; 04-12-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Villa, are you getting to your point soon?
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    Villa, are you getting to your point soon?
    Seems unlikely.

As much fun as it would be to get my butt kicked on a new type of course - we don't have the space to set an FIS GS course anywhere I ski.

And as for hughes - a couple of 4 year old skied that course sunday and did just fine (might have even beat me if I had been racing sunday ;)
    Last edited by chuckp7600; 04-12-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    NASTAR wouldn't hold Gold and Platinum races on Lower Hughes if speed and risk of injury were things they would want to mitigate the risk of.
    They held most of the races on Cranmer, only the best racers were on Hughes. I don't think at an event like nationals treating higher levels of skill differently means that they aren't thinking about safety for everyone else the rest of the year everywhere else when all skill levels race the same course.

NASTAR wouldn't hold Gold and Platinum races on Lower Hughes if speed and risk of injury were things they would want to mitigate the risk of
    Remember, Gold is supposed to be top 20% and Platinum top 5%. I suspect many if not most Gold and Platinum Nationals entrants have some racing experience other than NASTAR such as beer league, Masters, High School or college.

Not trying to pick on you Villa, but I'll paraphrase Frank Zappa and suggest that you "Just shut up and race!"

+ Reply to Thread