Thread: How do you tune?

Threaded View

How do you tune?

How do you tune your skis? Curious how many steps you go through and how often.

This is really the first year that I have done anything but periodically wax my skis. Last year they got waxed every 3 or so days out.

This year I bought a kit from racewax and read enough on various internet sites to be mildly dangerous. But this is the process I've been following for every 1-2 trips out

1) Run my edger tool down the sides of the edges with a diamond stone in it 3 times or so. I do this dry and it seems to work OK
    2) Nylon brush the bases to clean any gunk off
    3) Hot crayon some saucer wax on the bases - incidentally this is my only gripe with saucer wax, because they are round pucks it doesn't work as easily as a brick until you get a ways into the puck. I think when I replenish my supply I'll figure out how to use a hot wire and cut the pucks in half.

4) Iron the wax
    5) Scrape
    6) polish with white scotchbrite to clean up the scrape marks

For a while I was brushing the wax, but it seemed to remove more wax than I wanted - 5 hrs of skiing on mn ice seemed to remove enough wax by itself. I've tried crayoning and corking an overlay that I got from saucer as well but didn't really notice any difference so I havn't bothered with that again either.

Total time spent is 15-30 minutes depending on how many times I get interupted with other things.
    Last edited by chuckp7600; 02-28-2012 at 07:32 PM.