+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snowboarder Survives Avalanche

Snowboarder Survives Avalanche

Anyone see this on TV recently? A snowboarder is wearing an inflatable air bag called the Backcountry Access Float 30, which kept her "afloat" during an avalanche. Here it is on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7QFR...layer_embedded

Banned
    Is anybody going to take an avalung and/or an airbag backpack with them to WP this year in light of the unstable snowpack?

Where at WP would you have to worry about a slide - other than the road going in.

Banned
    Guy died recently in a slide off of Trestle.You also must be cautious up in the Vasquez Cirque

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    Guy died recently in a slide off of Trestle.You also must be cautious up in the Vasquez Cirque
    I was up there last year, only place I could see being concerned was off the chutes on Vasquez - and I'd be more concerned about busting my head there ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckp7600 View Post
    I was up there last year, only place I could see being concerned was off the chutes on Vasquez - and I'd be more concerned about busting my head there ;)
    Yeah. It looked prime on Saturday AM last year. I didn't want to hike for 35 minutes at 12,000 ft and further mess up my race experience, but kinda wished I had gotten up there.

Is the 35 minute hike worth it? Or did you find a snowmobile to drive you there?

A skier was tragically killed in an in-bounds avalanche in the trees off Trestle two weeks ago on the Mary Jane side of WP. That make 3 in Colorado that weekend, two from an avalanche in bounds and one who hit a tree stump in the trees. I wouldn't want to think what the cirque (50deg+ in places) at WP was like now.

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    Yeah. It looked prime on Saturday AM last year. I didn't want to hike for 35 minutes at 12,000 ft and further mess up my race experience, but kinda wished I had gotten up there.

Is the 35 minute hike worth it? Or did you find a snowmobile to drive you there?
    I never went any deeper in than the area served by the lift. Looking at a map I think it was Primrose, Belle Fourche and Boulevard that I ran.

Looks like someone else just survived an avalanche wearing one of those air bags
    http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...e-4th-survived

+ Reply to Thread