+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Extremely low par time

Quote Originally Posted by Great Banana View Post
    Another reason why we should be using my system of averaging pacesetters handicaps.
    Hey, GB. I agree there needs to be some better system in place. I just booked a four day vacation at Breck for the end of the month. Now I look at their results and find that most of their pacesetters are twenty-plus handicappers. One was a thirty! No excuse for that, especially at a big CO resort. If I can't switch to some other resort with better pacers I may just spend four days enjoying the other resort activites in what should be pretty nice spring weather. I thought this high handicap plague was a mid-western problem.

Speaking of the mid-west, I raced one MI resort in early Feb and got a 22 against a pacer with a 28 (he was a fifteen last year and I got a 6!) I went back a couple weeks later and he's recalibrated at his hill and is a 13. Now I beat him and score a 4! The obvious way to keep pacesetter handicaps from skyrocketing is to conduct pace trials on regular Nastar courses. How come no one can see that? Your averaging system would be helpful in the meantime, but I can see no logic in holding pace trials on courses that don't mirror the courses they will be pacing for. Am I missing something? OG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgold76 View Post
    Hey, GB. I agree there needs to be some better system in place. I just booked a four day vacation at Breck for the end of the month. Now I look at their results and find that most of their pacesetters are twenty-plus handicappers. One was a thirty! No excuse for that, especially at a big CO resort. If I can't switch to some other resort with better pacers I may just spend four days enjoying the other resort activites in what should be pretty nice spring weather. I thought this high handicap plague was a mid-western problem.

Speaking of the mid-west, I raced one MI resort in early Feb and got a 22 against a pacer with a 28 (he was a fifteen last year and I got a 6!) I went back a couple weeks later and he's recalibrated at his hill and is a 13. Now I beat him and score a 4! The obvious way to keep pacesetter handicaps from skyrocketing is to conduct pace trials on regular Nastar courses. How come no one can see that? Your averaging system would be helpful in the meantime, but I can see no logic in holding pace trials on courses that don't mirror the courses they will be pacing for. Am I missing something? OG

Well, for this particular issue, let's back-into this. Who set the courses for Boyne Trials, and under whose direction/supervision and/or specific guidelines were they operating from?

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    Well, for this particular issue, let's back-into this. Who set the courses for Boyne Trials, and under whose direction/supervision and/or specific guidelines were they operating from?
    Well, actually, it was the Boyne Mt race crew who set the course, with no input or direction from Bill or AJ. They just set the way they always do.

And actually, the course set up was fine - the combo of a steeper hill than "typical" NASTAR, very deteriorating conditions, and for many of us being the first day on snow for the season on a tougher than normal course made many of the handicaps higher than past years.

The better racers, and the guys that had been skiing prior to trials, had the better results.

Therefore, to re-pace sometime in January or early February, made a lot of sense for many pacesetters/areas.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Well, actually, it was the Boyne Mt race crew who set the course, with no input or direction from Bill or AJ. They just set the way they always do.

And actually, the course set up was fine - the combo of a steeper hill than "typical" NASTAR, very deteriorating conditions, and for many of us being the first day on snow for the season on a tougher than normal course made many of the handicaps higher than past years.

The better racers, and the guys that had been skiing prior to trials, had the better results.

Therefore, to re-pace sometime in January or early February, made a lot of sense for many pacesetters/areas.
    Ok, so at Boyne the course was fine.

How were the courses elsewhere for trials?

+ Reply to Thread