+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extremely low par time

Extremely low par time

hey guys, I was wondering about the par times and my race hill( hidden valley ski, stl). Almost every single day, the pace setters are picking up 20-22 second times on the courses. they all have 20-35 point handicaps thought, putting the par time routing in the 14-15 second range. I think that time is completly un realistic. Abigail murer, female nastar champion last year, is laying 19 second times when she races. as a snowboarder, this is very fustrating. I have no idea what to do. any comments?

Banned
    Are the courses they set really straight?

As far as comments on your hill's situation, that has been happening at some places this year, in part due to a slightly lower par time calculated from Steve Nyman's run at Nationals last year.

No matter what handicaps they tell you on the loud speaker, doing nastar should still be fun, and will still give you good gate practice that will improve your racing/carving skills for other races.

Many areas have re-paceset so that the times are more in line with previous years. You could suggest that.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

thanks, ill suggestthat saturday. isnt the par time supposed to be around 23 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by ELL1369 View Post
    thanks, ill suggestthat saturday. isnt the par time supposed to be around 23 seconds?
    Par time is different on every course at every resort - some are around 30 seconds (Beaver Creek, CO) and some are around 13.5 sec (Mt Brighton, MI) and everything in between. It depends on the length and pitch of your hill, mostly.

What was the average par time in previous years? Is there a big deviation this year?
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Par time varies by course and hill. There is no way you could set a course with a 23 second par time at the hill I race at, the hill is too steep and too short.

In your case it appears that your pacesetter was 8 handicap points lower last year and he went to the Spirit Mtn trials which had a wide range of results, but overall pretty decent handcaps. His handicap was 29 in 09, 23 in 10 and 31 in 11 fairly inconsistant year to year
    Last edited by chuckp7600; 02-07-2012 at 03:56 PM.

yes that is true chuck. But, the averge par time is around 18 seconds, and the slowest this year is about 16.

yes that is true chuck. But, the averge par time is around 18 seconds, and the slowest this year is about 16.
    I don't know where they come up with that average par time that is displayed on the resort pages, its not accurate at some of the hills I race at.

Banned
    ELL, one thing that could be going on affecting your times is that snowboarders can't "skate" at starts like skiers, and often times the push-off isn't good enough to get going very well, especially if there is a plateau at the top of your course.

At my hill, the snowboarder often comes to a stop and must hop along to get going, and it reflects in her times.

Also, I looked at your hill, and the handicaps from the 31 handicap pacesetter were at least inflated by 10-15 points.

You could ask you hill's NASTAR people if they could repace the one pacesetter.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckp7600 View Post
    Par time varies by course and hill. There is no way you could set a course with a 23 second par time at the hill I race at, the hill is too steep and too short.

In your case it appears that your pacesetter was 8 handicap points lower last year and he went to the Spirit Mtn trials which had a wide range of results, but overall pretty decent handcaps. His handicap was 29 in 09, 23 in 10 and 31 in 11 fairly inconsistant year to year
    Another reason why we should be using my system of averaging pacesetters handicaps.

+ Reply to Thread