+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychedelic POV

Banned

Psychedelic POV

Here's my latest POV creation. I enhanced the experience with visual effects.

Last edited by villaski; 01-08-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Banned
    Here is POV from today's demo day. I got to try out the Blizzard Bushwacker, 8.7 FS IQ Max, and Elan Amphibios. The Bushwacker is AMAZING. The other ones are nothing to write home about, or drop a grand+ on, in my humble opinion. The conditions were slushy, so I probably didn't get as much out of the amphibio waveflex xti.

The 8.7 FS IQ max are the stiffest, dampest, least-poppy planks I've had on my feet. 87 mm is a darned waste on a frontside carver, and an NFL linebacker (or huge WC pro) are people who might appreciate this mess of a ski.

Quote Originally Posted by villaski View Post
    The 8.7 FS IQ max are the stiffest, dampest, least-poppy planks I've had on my feet. 87 mm is a darned waste on a frontside carver, and an NFL linebacker (or huge WC pro) are people who might appreciate this mess of a ski.
    Interesting assessment. I think the 8.7 is the most versatile frontside carver I've been on. Remarkable edgegrip for a ski that wide. If I didn't race, I would have 2 skis.... A 181 8.7, and a 193 Cochise. I don't think a person would have any need for anything narrower than 87 to 90 unless you are a racer.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    Interesting assessment. I think the 8.7 is the most versatile frontside carver I've been on. Remarkable edgegrip for a ski that wide. If I didn't race, I would have 2 skis.... A 181 8.7, and a 193 Cochise. I don't think a person would have any need for anything narrower than 87 to 90 unless you are a racer.
    One of my gripes in the four runs I took on it was the edge grip... on our north-facing "slope" there is a section that iced over, and I edged out. Perhaps I had too much edge angle for the speed I was going. But they just felt incredibly wide for that type of ski. I was disappointed they didn't have the 8.7 mags there (or the bonafide, for that matter... I really wanted to see what a 98mm ski felt like).

As I think the one run in my POV video shows I was able to get them going (sort of anyway, as much as you can at that place), but I just didn't like the feel. My combination of skill and bodyweight and preferences just didn't care for them. The piston system, in my opinion, absorbs all your turn energy and then doesn't give it back to you after the turn. I will say, in spite of my dislike of the feel, the skis were very stable (a much more "solid" feel than my Fischer RC pros).

But getting off these wide 80-something carvers and back on to my 66mm cheater skis was like night-and-day.

This demo day also confirmed my feeling that it's time for me to get longer skis. When one of the guys pulled out a 168 I'm thinking to myself "WT?"

One thing I'm not taking into account is the hill you're on. They are not appropriate for there. If I skied at a hill with similar vertical, I would use 165 slalom skis exclusively.

Based on what I see on the video (not the best view) I would have to say that you seem to be in the "back seat" most of the time as I see the tips floating and several times when you roll from edge to edge I see the tips slightly off the snow. The "new" ski requires you to spend most of your time in the "front seat" up in the front on the initiation of the turn and then staying centered over the middle of the ski. A video of your free-skiing or running gates would help. You seem to have good rolling from edge to edge abilities---the skis are not hunting, and you do seem to weigh both skis-----do you feel from time to time you are caught on your heels when completing your turns?

Quote Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    Based on what I see on the video (not the best view) I would have to say that you seem to be in the "back seat" most of the time
    Uh-oh.... unsolicited advice. Brace yourself..... You never know how Villa will react. You might be in big trouble, Sherman.

JC, I have big shoulders, just trying to help the guy out----but you are right it is unsolicited----I will put my flack jacket on just in case!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    Based on what I see on the video (not the best view) I would have to say that you seem to be in the "back seat" most of the time as I see the tips floating and several times when you roll from edge to edge I see the tips slightly off the snow. The "new" ski requires you to spend most of your time in the "front seat" up in the front on the initiation of the turn and then staying centered over the middle of the ski. A video of your free-skiing or running gates would help. You seem to have good rolling from edge to edge abilities---the skis are not hunting, and you do seem to weigh both skis-----do you feel from time to time you are caught on your heels when completing your turns?
    Sherman, first of all, the conditions were slushy crud. In order not to injure myself, I had to keep tips up to bust through piles and piles of cut-up ice cream.

Second of all, the Bushwackers have tip-rocker.

Third of all, due to conditions, I was intentionally hop-turning.

Fourth of all, there are some mini-jumps.

Fifth of all, review the first video (and sequences where I'm clearly on smooth/hard groomed snow... such as the last two), and you will see the tips never come off the ground. Also, the 8.7 m-powers never come off the snow. Keep in mind also that shadows can be deceiving and sometimes a ski on snow will appear as though it is not.

So, having taken all of the above into account, and re-reviewed the videos, please feel free to modify your observations. And if you maintain your stance I am "in the backseat," (which of course I am on a couple turns here and there like anybody), I would be very interested in how my 5'7" frame can stay in the front seat.
    Last edited by villaski; 01-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    Uh-oh.... unsolicited advice. Brace yourself..... You never know how Villa will react. You might be in big trouble, Sherman.
    I've mellowed out, jclose. I may as well hear advice from people... what doesn't work on the hill doesn't work, so I can figure that out when freeskiing.

Also, sherman, I intend on posting lots of NASTAR POV and third-person video at some point in this thread, so obviously that's better angles.

+ Reply to Thread