+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wachusett to host NASTAR Open

I'll be there! While a Midwest open would be much more convenient, I'm going to show my support and make the jaunt east. I hope many of you will consider doing the same!! I'm looking forward to the more laid-back atmosphere at the open events, and a chance to see old friends (and maybe meet some new forum friends!).

Quote Originally Posted by Stockliman View Post
    CTC - Come and join us at the Eastern!
    Stockliman - I actually considered it since I have a New England past (sort of) and started skiing at age 4 not far from Wachusett. We would go out to Benjamin Hill in Shirley near Ft. Devens, my father was career Army and we were stationed there. Benjamin Hill closed in the early 70's. Also, I spent 9 years in Boston at college, grad school and working but I couldn't afford to ski in those days.

But flying into Logan or Hartford and making my way there is just too much energy this year, work has been tiring me out. I think I will stay close to home. I will be cheering you all on anyway.

Have fun!

CTC

I just discovered that there is a "ski train" from Boston to Fitchburg and then transportation is provided to the Mountain. Might make it a little easier to attend if someone were to take the Amtrak to Boston from places like the DC metro area.

Here's a link to the info.

I have yet to run a set of gates this season. Time to beat the snow drums.....
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    I have yet to run a set of gates this season. Time to beat the snow drums.....
    Wachusett is running NASTAR tomorrow and plans to stay on their regular schedule of every day except Tuesday and Thursday. I was there today talking to the race director as they were putting the finishing touches on the start ramp.

Recently posted on the Wachusett web site is that they will be having a race clinic on Friday, 1/6, but not with AJ. It will be with the local race department and pacesetters. The cost will be $20 and you'll need a lift ticket. Not a bad idea for those of us who haven't had a chance to get any time in the gates.

I'm taking the day before off (Thursday, the 5th) for the pacesetter trials at Windham and probably can't get to Wachusett for Friday although it's tempting. The trials will likely be my first time in the gates this season!
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    The trials will likely be my first time in the gates this season!
    Good kuck Pat! I wonder if the lack of gate time will impact pacesetter handicaps very much? See you Saturday.

Does anyone know if there will be daily Nastar on the Friday before the Open or if that will only be available to the individuals in the clinic?
    Head World Cup i.Speed SW SP13 175 cm
    Head Free Flex Pro 14
    Head Raptor 130 RS
    Leki World Cup GS Trigger S

Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be daily Nastar on the Friday before the Open or if that will only be available to the individuals in the clinic?
    I'm only speaking from historical reference, but typically when they hold clinics it's done on the double course which means that they close off the trail to all but the people enrolled. What you'll find when you get there is that there are 2 start shacks on the same course/trail (Challenger) - 1 for the night league with double starting gates which is centered in the middle of the trail, and one about 100 feet lower situated off to one side of the trail for daily NASTAR. They won't/can't run both at the same time on the same trail. Hope this makes sense.

Does anybody know how many racers have signed up for the Open so far?

+ Reply to Thread