+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wachusett to host NASTAR Open

Wachusett to host NASTAR Open

I'll be there!

The Nature Valley NASTAR Open will take place Saturday, January 7th and is open to all age and ability groups. The event provides NASTAR Racers with an early season qualifying opportunity for the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships.
    The Family Challenge will take place Sunday, January 8th with teams of (3) or more competing for team titles in two divisions: Family Teams and Friends Teams. The team race will determine which family team and which league team or team of friends or will reign supreme in the New England region.Nature Valley NASTAR Pacesetter and four time Olympian AJ Kitt will set the Par Time for all of the races, sign autograph and provide racing tips throughout the weekend. Discounted lift tickets, lodging and race clinics are available to registered participants and their guests, and each participant will be given a gift bag upon check-in.Wachusett Mountain will host race clinics on Friday for participants that would like to warm up and practice on the race hill. Contact Wachusett to sign up for a race clinic.Register Now: Coming SoonThe entry fee is $59 and includes:

• NASTAR Open Entry
    • Family Challenge Team Race Entry
    • Gift bag
    • Awards Reception
    • Warren Miller film screenings
    • AJ Kitt
    • Sponsor Village at Wachusett base area to include: Sampling, product display and experiential activities
    • Live music
    • Retro Apr?s Race Reception

The Competion FormatScheduleNature Valley NASTAR OpenOn Saturday, competitors 20 years and younger will take two race runs starting at 10am and adults 21 years of age and older will take two race runs beginning at 1pm. The lowest handicap earned will be used to place participants in their their divison: Either Platinum/Gold or Silver/Bronze. The event is family-oriented and participation based but the region's best racers will have an opportunity to compete against one of the US Ski Teams most popular alumni, AJ Kitt.The awards reception will include food, raffle prizes and an autograph signing opportunity with AJ. Awards will be presented to the top three finishers in each age, gender and ability group. First, second and third place racers in the Platinum/Gold and the Silver/Bronze divisions will automatically qualify for the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships.The male and female racers that score the lowest overall handicaps during the race will be given complimentary entries to the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships in Winter Park, CO March 22-25.Warren Miller ScreeningsWarren Miller will bring the annual film and vintage film(s) to Wachusett for an evening of entertainment. An apr?s vintage film screening will lead up to the awards ceremony and a screening of the current film, Warren Millers . . . Like Theres No Tomorrow will follow the awards presentations. The Saturday evening festivities will have a retro theme to accompany the Warren Miller vintage film screenings so bring your outdated ski gear.Family Challenge & Team RaceOn Sunday the Team Race will start at 10am. The lowest handicap earned by each team member will be used to score Team Points for their team. Team Points are handicapped by age and gender to level the playing field. The three team members that score the most team points will be used to tally their team's score. Team points are added together and divided by three to establish the final team score. The fastest Family Team will earn complimentary entry to compete in the Return of The Champions Family Challenge at Winter Park, March 26th. The fastest Friends Team will win complimentary entry to the U.S. Ski Team Pro-Am at Winter Park, March 27

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I am excited about the announcement! I was wondering if anyone has been there before and could make a hotel suggestion? I only found 3 places on Google and they all had mixed reviews. Also, does NASTAR have a deal like Nationals for discounts on lift tickets and/or lodging?
    Head World Cup i.Speed SW SP13 175 cm
    Head Free Flex Pro 14
    Head Raptor 130 RS
    Leki World Cup GS Trigger S

Sue & I will definitely be there!

Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    I am excited about the announcement! I was wondering if anyone has been there before and could make a hotel suggestion? I only found 3 places on Google and they all had mixed reviews. Also, does NASTAR have a deal like Nationals for discounts on lift tickets and/or lodging?
    They should have a discount on the lift tickets.

The city of Worcester is only 20 miles south of Wachusett. You should be able to find lodging there if you have no luck close to the mountain.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

This is great! Never have been able to get to Nationals and the regional has always conflicted with daughter's regular race team or been too far away. We're only 40 minutes away max, right in our backyard. Wachusett is great but don't know how much pressure this event will put on a routinely very busy place. I'd get there early to score good parking.

Their regular NASTAR trail is Challenger so I'm imagining it will be on the same trail for the open. Daughter's raced on it a bunch of times for NASTAR as well as for regular races. Has a flat area/plateau midway down that you have to tuck/get small on to maintain your speed...pays to skate like crazy at the top and build up the momentum.

Just told her where it was this year and she's really excited. We can't wait!

What a blunder

Sorry to post a negative thread BUT..................I'm happy for those of you in the east who will be able to attend what I'm sure will be a wonderful event. I can't find the words to accurately describe my disappointment in Nastar as to their ability to relay information in a timely fashion to it's constituency. It would of nice to know 1.) that there would not be an open in the Midwest in December prior to the end of November 2.) even if a venue had not been selected a reserve the date notice to atleast allow scheduling time off work 3.) some notice of what is not happening in lieu of notice of what is happening ...............I understand that these events need to be financially viable but such short notice as this can not possibly aid the events success

Nastar you really need to evaluate your event planning skills

Have fun at the open !!

Not sure. I might make it.

I booked it. Easy day trip.
    Last edited by bob r; 12-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    skiing is my addication

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Danko View Post
    Sorry to post a negative thread BUT..................I'm happy for those of you in the east who will be able to attend what I'm sure will be a wonderful event. I can't find the words to accurately describe my disappointment in Nastar as to their ability to relay information in a timely fashion to it's constituency. It would of nice to know 1.) that there would not be an open in the Midwest in December prior to the end of November 2.) even if a venue had not been selected a reserve the date notice to atleast allow scheduling time off work 3.) some notice of what is not happening in lieu of notice of what is happening ...............I understand that these events need to be financially viable but such short notice as this can not possibly aid the events success

Nastar you really need to evaluate your event planning skills

Have fun at the open !!

I completely agree... the announcement was WAY too late for me. I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal if I was close to the venue.

While a whole lot CAN be blamed on the bad economy, putting off planning certainly can not.

I'll throw my two cents in here - I have been annoyed by this Open issue but have not wanted to post anything negative.

I am greatly disappointed that there is no Midwest Open. The comments about late planning are really on target and I believe this has been a serious problem over the past few years with both the Eastern and Midwest Opens. I also believe it is a major reason the attendance was not what is should have been. Choosing a resort like Crystal Mountain which is just too inaccessible to most people in the midwest (yes, much of the midwest is west of Lake Michigan) and not even announcing it until late October early November clearly contributed to the low turnout. If the Opens had been announced in early summer or even mid-summer and a venue had been chosen that was more accessible both for East and Midwest, I believe the attendance would have been much higher.

That said, I hope all of you who attend the Eastern Open have a wonderful time.

CTC

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    That said, I hope all of you who attend the Eastern Open have a wonderful time.
    CTC
    CTC - Come and join us at the Eastern!

+ Reply to Thread