+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Indiana/Michigan NASTAR Challenge

Well, I guess now I don't have to worry about that conflicting with my company's annual awards banquet. Would have been a tough choice.
    I agree with what others have said: more notice + more advertising = better turnout = an event that is sustainable year-to-year. SKI Magazine already has ads for Nationals...by that yardstick, the magazine should have had ads for the Open 2 months ago.
    The unfortunate result of this is that I bet it's now NASTAR's opinion that, "Midwesterners don't want an Open" when my (completely uneducated) guess is that Midwesterners do indeed want an Open, but we want to get those plans in place well in advance.

I have been thinking more and more about this issue. Tha main reason is once again the majority of people did not know . A simple way would have been for NASTAR to print up fliers and send them to all the NASTAR participating resorts. Every time someone registered to race that day would they would be handed a flier. Plus the flier could have been displayed where they register.This would have gotten the word out to all that race NASTAR. We have a pretty good turn out of racers at Nubs Nob and you would not believe how many did not know about the opens. Plus there should have been press releases to all the news media. There are many papers and tv stations that would love to cover these races. This is free advertising. These two inexpensive ways to advertise would have more than doubled the numbers for the midwest open. We would probably be racing this year if NASTAR had done this. So tell me who is at fault here. It is to bad Bill does not read these posts he might learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Banana View Post
    It is to bad Bill does not read these posts he might learn something.
    Bill does read these posts, and takes much of the input into consideration when making decisions.

Nastar has a limited budget to work with. Not every "good idea" is feasible, and what seems extremely simple to people reading this, takes much more work in practice.

For example.... I know that Bill starts negotiations for the Opens WELL in advance of the season. Usually the season before. The problem often isn't Nastar, but the ski areas who refuse to commit to an event like this until more of their calendar has been finalized. Unfortunately, most areas look at an event like this as "something that might be able to be squeezed in" if we have an open weekend left. There are a finite number of weekends in a season, and (especially in the midwest) there are events filling most of them (races, freestyle events, etc..). The determining factor for a resort has to be "will this make us money?" If a resort looks at historical data for the midwest open, and looks at the number of competitors, it's very easy to crunch some numbers and see if it makes sense financially. Last season, I helped evaluate the proposal packet that explained the midwest open. We had to weigh the cost for us to put on the event, vs. the money we would bring in based on the number of expected participants. Not sure if anyone has thought of this, but AJ, Bill and the rest of the Nastar HQ crew doesn't just come for free.... The resort "hires" them. The decision to be made is... "does bringing in national pacesetters make ENOUGH difference to significantly up our participation numbers?" Even taking into account bar and food sales, FOR US, we couldn't make the numbers work. I'm sure that is similar for other ski areas.

As an example, CTC is always lobbying to have the open on the west side of the lake.... Do you think Chestnut was never asked? If there isn't an Open at Chestnut, it is because Chestnut does not want to host it. Nastar does not arbitrarily pick a ski area and say, "hey, you guys get to host a NASTAR Open event this season!"

If you guys want to enact REAL change, stop lobbying Nastar and "Bill" (who most of you don't know, and have no idea the work he does) and start lobbying your local ski area NOW. FOR NEXT SEASON. They can definitely voice their interest to Bill and they can start advertising now if they want.

Put the pressure where it needs to be. It's not Nastar corporate.
    Last edited by jclose8; 12-09-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Excellent post, Jamie. I'll admit I hadn't at all considered the idea of resort(s) declining NASTAR's proposal to host an Open. And of course it logically follows that NASTAR can't advertise the event until they are able to get a date and location locked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Excellent post, Jamie. I'll admit I hadn't at all considered the idea of resort(s) declining NASTAR's proposal to host an Open. And of course it logically follows that NASTAR can't advertise the event until they are able to get a date and location locked in.
    Exactly.

Very well put Jamie. I know budgets are tight. How much do you think it would have cost to print up fliers for the ski areas to hand out to the NASTAR racers. Not very much compared to what you could have gained in racers. Press releases to the news media cost nothing. If some of these ideas had been done I think we would have more than doubled the number of racers. What ski area would turn down running an event if they knew that 200+ racers were going to show up. These simple low cost measures were not done at either of the first two midwest opens. Not to mention that both opens were not scheduled and the dates released in a timely matter. This does not happen for the finals out west. The poor planning at the first two opens caused the low attendance and hence the demise of the midwest open.

GB... How do you advertise for an event when you don't have a ski area to host it, or a date? Advertising can't start until a contract is in place.

No one can guarantee how many will show up.

If you are so sure it's a guarantee to make money, maybe you could front the entry fee for a ski area? If it loses money, they don't have to repay you, if it makes money, they split the profit with you....

We'll host it under those circumstances..... Let me know and I'll let you know the total and the address to send your check.

Well lets get the facts straight. On 10-21-09 the annoucement was made that the open was set for 1-7-10 at Crystal Mtn. The contract was signed. There is now plenty of time to print fliers and contact the news media. None of this was done. Unless you are one of the few to visit this website you did not know about the opens. We race NASTAR all week during the holidays at Nubs and fliers could have been handed out everyday to the racers. I am sure more people from Nubs would have gone. Just think if this had been done at all the resorts that had NASTAR .The turn out would have increased dramatically. There was time to advertise and it was not done. If there had been 200+ racers at this first event we would not be posting all this right now. We would be planning to race at this years midwest open!

Quote Originally Posted by jclose8 View Post
    As an example, CTC is always lobbying to have the open on the west side of the lake.... Do you think Chestnut was never asked? If there isn't an Open at Chestnut, it is because Chestnut does not want to host it. Nastar does not arbitrarily pick a ski area and say, "hey, you guys get to host a NASTAR Open event this season!"
    I don't buy it Jamie. USSA scheduled a race at Chestnut for this weekend months ago and the resort is eager to host it as they did last year. Chestnut is also hosting a USASA snowboard competition in January. And last year Chestnut was thrilled to have the Family Challenge, it was a huge success. After the Family Challenge was such a success I would think the resort would be very willing to host another event, actually I heard comments from some saying that they would. I think if Bill approached Chestnut for a Midwest Open - say in June or July for the following season - it is my opinion that they would jump at the chance. Chestnut hosts WIJARA races each year which brings in about 350 junior racers.

What you are saying it not what I hear. But I guess we will never know and I cannot speak for the managers of Chestnut. I am just stating my observations and opinions.

CTC
    Last edited by ChiTownChick; 12-12-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    I don't buy it Jamie.
    Ask them.

+ Reply to Thread