+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much does waxing really matter?

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips! It's safe to say I'm convinced that base prep is at least worth the effort. I'll give it a try and let you know if I notice a difference this year!

I did a personal experiment earlier this season and waxed 2 boards for race day, one with a standard wax and one with a low fluoro wax and on the same course on the same day the LF wax was over 3 sec faster than the standard wax. Now there are some obvious potential flaws to this experiment but it does show that wax and wax selection can and does make a difference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nov439 View Post
    I did a personal experiment earlier this season and waxed 2 boards for race day, one with a standard wax and one with a low fluoro wax and on the same course on the same day the LF wax was over 3 sec faster than the standard wax. Now there are some obvious potential flaws to this experiment but it does show that wax and wax selection can and does make a difference.
    3 Seconds!!!! ????

Was this in a daily NASTAR course?

I coach Special Olympics and I did this experiment on a day when we were doing electronic timing. It was not an official recorded race day but a day I could take my time a play around. The course was a GS course and it was set up by the resorts' NASTAR crew. Like I said, there are obvious flaws including the fact that I could not set up the same boards, but the boards used were a 159 Oxess BX and a 160 Burton Custom X. The boots, bindings and stance angles were the same. The brand of wax used was the same and the temp range used was the same. Now I obviously could have just been running better lines in the LF wax, but the fact remained that the fastest time I post using LF was 3 sec faster than what I posted using normal wax. I did 3 timed runs on each board and the LF was faster than the normal wax every time. I was surprised by the results. It was the first time I used LF wax and I never thought it would make that big of difference.

I'm running a similar experiment next week racing. This past week I did 3 runs using just a standard warm weather uni-wax and next weekend I will wax up using a warm weather uni-fluoro wax and see how my times differ. Obviously the course and weather conditions may be slightly different, but the equipment used will be constant this time around.

Banned
    Yeah, I've found that wax significantly helps too. This season I didn't use HF wax (and most days just used cheap CH) for various reasons.

But at face value, optimizing your wax really does help you alot.

Wax or no wax,

Quote Originally Posted by WAL4098 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and tips! It's safe to say I'm convinced that base prep is at least worth the effort. I'll give it a try and let you know if I notice a difference this year!
    Wax makes a big difference in glide. Just try waxing and see the difference in the glide. Some times .01 or .03 could make the difference. Also when you wax you won't be wishing you had. The key is to be prepared when you get to the start gate. You won't regret it!

Made a big difference this week. Finished 2nd in the Silver division at the Nationals. Difference after the first run was .06 seconds. That is how close it can be. I was taking my skis daily to Gene Taylors in the Snowmass mall every night. They ran them over the ceramic stone and waxed them for the current snow and temp. I was able to ski my best handicap in a few years on the Snowmass course. Plus the win in the Nationals, Makes for a Great trip. Thanks Gene Taylor.

I don't want to create any controversy but here is how I see it.

If your choice is wax or no wax. Choose wax

Is it worth spending the money on expensive fluro wax? Only worth the money if you have the money and the courses you ski are over 35 seconds long. Less than 35 seconds your wasting money.

I would say you get more podiums for your buck with a well structured base and a hydrocarbon wax. That means spending the money on a good set of brushes that last longer than small package of fluro wax.

I would choose I nicely structured ski with crappy wax over a poorly prepped ski with expensive wax.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrig View Post
    I don't want to create any controversy but here is how I see it.If your choice is wax or no wax. Choose waxIs it worth spending the money on expensive fluro wax? Only worth the money if you have the money and the courses you ski are over 35 seconds long. Less than 35 seconds your wasting money.I would say you get more podiums for your buck with a well structured base and a hydrocarbon wax. That means spending the money on a good set of brushes that last longer than small package of fluro wax.I would choose I nicely structured ski with crappy wax over a poorly prepped ski with expensive wax.
    I would agree with this - I send my skis to get prepped by Mike DeSantis at SkiMD every fall , and then maintain during the season with inexpensive Swix CH hydrocarbon wax - no high dollar fluros - and my experience has been that I have just as good, and sometimes better, times than the racers using the expensive, high $ fluro combos.

Spend your money on good tunings first.

JMHO
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

just my thoughts on the waxing, you might be right that it wont likely take you from a silver handicap to a gold handicap, but as others have expressed it certainly couldnt hurt.

im my opinion, having properly sharpened and polished edges is far mor crutial to skiing fast in a short course than wax alone. that being said, if your going to take the time to polish edges, you probably already wax every race, hotscrape after working the edges, ect. ect.

Most people who arent that serious about racing still get their skis at least tuned once or twice a season, and with good reason. edges dull, skis slow down, and everyone knows sharp edges and quick bases are safer, and ultimately - more FUN!

so with respect to nastar, wax isnt as crucial as some might think, but honestly why not wax? it dosent cost too much to buy an iron, a cheap block of wax and keep things fun. Have someone knowledgeable teach you how to do it, or take a class. learning correctly is key to not destroying your skis.

a few words of caution, most people over tune their base edges thinking they need to sharpen both sides to get a sharp ski. over tuning bases will create a base high ski that will require lots of grinding and will be almost impossible to turn without a very high degree of angulation.

Sharpen/polish the side egde as needed, and polish the base edge onlyafter the angle has been set.

Skis will feel like they are on rails, and will be fun.

+ Reply to Thread