+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

Hurricane Irene

Wow. Earthquake last week and now this. Looks like the projected path is about two blocks west of my condo....

I lived through Hazel in '54 and Donna in '60. When Gloria hit New England in '85 I was without electricity or water for a week.

I was a TV Meteorologist from 1973-76 in Tampa . I attended a talk given by Dr. Neil Frank of the National Hurricane Center and he really drove home the point that Floridians had been lulled into a false sense of security because no significant hurricanes had hit the state in a long time (this was before Andrew). I'll never forget how close he said we came to complete disaster during Donna which crossed Florida near Ft. Myers. Had that storm shifted a couple degrees farther to the west it would have stayed just off St. Petersburg. The counterclockwise winds would have driven a huge storm surge up Tampa Bay and Hillsboro Bay right at high tide and would have covered the three bridges that residents would have used to flee St. Pete.

I was tracking weather satellites for STRIKE Command in '69 when I spotted a small but solid mass off the Yucatan. I called the Hurricane Center and they said they had spotted it too and were watching it closely. That one became Camille. I drove along the Mississippi coast a year later and the devastation was still very apparent. As bad as Camille was, Katrina was worse.

NYC, Long Island, and the CT shoreline could have some serious problems from Irene.

I can't believe the FedEx Cup is being played in New Jersey!

Everybody stay safe!

Last edited by patmoore; 08-26-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I lived through Andrew '92 in Miami, FL and Katrina '05 in Mobile, AL. I will second Pat's statement that hurricanes are nothing to play with.

Be Safe and Be Prepared!
    Head World Cup i.Speed SW SP13 175 cm
    Head Free Flex Pro 14
    Head Raptor 130 RS
    Leki World Cup GS Trigger S

I think I'll ride out Irene here in the rockies. :)
    I'm gonna try and get on Versus tomorrow in Breck for the Pro Cycling Challenge Stage finish. I have no funny outfit to wear, so it'll have to be a speedo. ewwww!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman99 View Post
    I think I'll ride out Irene here in the rockies. :)
    I'm gonna try and get on Versus tomorrow in Breck for the Pro Cycling Challenge Stage finish. I have no funny outfit to wear, so it'll have to be a speedo. ewwww!
    See if you can steal that outfit from the Clean Bottle guy. I'd wear that every day if I could. Hell, I'd even wear that running NASTAR!
    Head World Cup i.Speed SW SP13 175 cm
    Head Free Flex Pro 14
    Head Raptor 130 RS
    Leki World Cup GS Trigger S

Ironically we anticipated problems in Connecticut but only had a few trees down in the neighborhood. We never envisioned the floods in Vermont. Our condo may not be salvageable. The ground floor units are covered in mud. Until the basement is drained we won't know if the building is structurally sound enough to re-enter. It was constructed from a hundred year old barn and sits on a field stone foundation. The water was strong enough to flip a car over against our building. You can see a collapsed building in the background. This shot was extracted from a video someone took.

The water in the foreground is what's left of our driveway. Many VT communities were hit hard and a lot of residents are still stranded. Downtown Ludlow really took the brunt of the flooding. Shaw's, the only grocery store for miles around won't reopen until November at the earliest.

Okemo was hit hard. The main access road is gone. Many structures were affected. The management team is one of the best around and they'll get through this.

Killington was similarly affected. Here's a view of the primary base lodge.

Last edited by patmoore; 08-31-2011 at 12:53 AM.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Pat,

My prayers and thoughts are with you all. I had no idea it was that bad up north.

Pat, so very sorry to hear of all the damage up in Vermont! I watched some of it on the weather Channel but we were in the midst of a high pressure system in Northern Michigan during that time and it was beautiful. We got some strong winds one afternoon and were able to watch 6 kite boarders and one surfer at the Petoskey State Park. Dakine and his group were probably out somewhere on Cecil Bay, or Cross Village, doing similar moves........
    Last edited by TeamHub390; 08-31-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Pat - sorry to hear of the damage in Vermont. My relatives on Long Island, NY, had significant damage to their house when the storm snapped a tree and it landed on their roof. But they did not have the water Vermont seems to have gotten.

Hang in there. Clean up and rebuilding takes time.

CTC

Finally got north today to check out the damage. My unit is okay but the four on the ground level were trashed. Structurally our building is okay. It will be a while before water and electricity are restored. The two buildings nearest to us will likely be condemned. The Coast Guard was working on one of them today because of spilled fuel oil in the basement. Here's a photo of the outside of our building. The car had been upside down against the structure.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Spent Saturday cleaning out neighbor's units. We filled a 30 yard dumpster with soggy sheetrock, insulation, bricks, dishes, etc.

Sunday morning we walked through town. This shot is of Rt. 131 about a quarter mile east of the center of town.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

+ Reply to Thread