+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okemo moving NASTAR Course to Bull Run

Okemo moving NASTAR Course to Bull Run

Okemo announced yesterday that our NASTAR course will be moving from Lower Blackout to Bull Run. We'll get a LOT more exposure in the new location as it is right at the base area and visible from the Sitting Bull Lounge. The downside is that we'll have to ride the quad chairlifts which will add time to doing laps (our old location had an adjacent T-Bar and racers could easily make more than a dozen runs a day).
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    ...The downside is that we'll have to ride the quad chairlifts which will add time to doing laps (our old location had an adjacent T-Bar and racers could easily make more than a dozen runs a day).
    You'll just have to stay open more hours!

Perhaps you can establish a longer course/average par time?
    Last edited by NE1; 08-24-2011 at 06:20 PM.

The course was on Bull Run back in the seventies and once about ten years ago. I hadn't gotten into racing back then so I don't know what a typical time would be. I guess it depends on where they put the start shack. I suspect the start will be a little flat and then pick up speed after you cross the knoll. I've done some Mt. Dew races there from a lower starting point. Here's a Google Earth image of the former and new locations. The pitch on the new track may be slightly steeper.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

The wait might not be too bad if the A and B quads have singles lines, especially around lunch. Might be a great oppurtunity to add a little length to the course also.

CB Too

Crested Butte Mountain Resort, also a Mueller family run resort, moved its NASTAR course last year for better visibility. It musta worked as there appeared to be more racers, but it could have had more racers as it was open more days. The new course wasn't groomed as much as the old, it was harder to get to, narrower, and had a couple of pesky lift towers alongside the course. I especially liked the uphill section. With all that I enjoyed the course and the chance to run some gates. Hope it's open somewhere on the mountain in 2011-2012.

Oh yeah, the staff was great though none of them went to the pacesetters trials last year, maybe not the year before either.

Slats
    Lots of years, lots of fun.

With the impending move to Bull Run, I was wondering if the start shack would be placed where it was about ten years ago. I hadn't taken up racing then and only ran the course once but I think it was set up something like this. It had a fairly flat start followed by a steeper pitch to the finish. As I recall it didn't go straight down because the ski school used the area to the right. I'll be up this weekend checking on flood damage to our basement and maybe I can get an idea of what they plan to do.

"NASTAR encourages resorts across the country to standardize their course(s) to have a par time of 23 seconds..." Okemo's average par time on Lower Blackout was 22.25. If we move the start closer to the top of the ridge, the par time could drop into the high teens. I was curious about the range in par times at other venues and put together this spreadsheet. The average works out to 20.76.

Last edited by patmoore; 09-16-2011 at 03:59 PM.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Great spread sheet Pat! Unfortunately my week day league and training course is the shortest in the country :-( @ less than half the time of the last 6 courses. That might explain a few things .........! (Like my learning curve and my preference for shorter skis.)

My weekend and super G courses are in the middle of the pack though.

Update. I was wrong about where the start shack will be. It has been relocated to the lift tower side of the trees (see below). That brings up a visibility issue. Once a racer turns left and clears the ridge line I won't be able to see them. I'm looking into a webcam in the base lodge just below the finish line with a display of the lower half of the course visible in the start shack. We're a small operation and can't justify an additional employee at the lower portion of the course. Have any of you had any experience with webcams and if they'll do what I'm proposing?

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

For those of you hoping to do the Mt. Dew race this Sunday I'm afraid there isn't enough snow on Bull Run.

The Mountain Dew Challenge will now be a scavenger hunt this Sunday, December 18

. Free samples and prizes will be handed out. All participants will be automatically entered in the finals at the end of the season.

Back to my earlier question. We're still trying to identify an inexpensive camera system so that I can see the entire course from the start shack. Here's all I'll be able to see:

Once the racers get to the corner of the woods, they angle left, crest the hill and disappear from my view. I thought about Skype video from a webcam in the base lodge but I suspect that will time out after a while.

Last edited by patmoore; 12-16-2011 at 01:27 PM.

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com

Quote Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
    For those of you hoping to do the Mt. Dew race this Sunday I'm afraid there isn't enough snow on Bull Run.
    That's disappointing. I was looking forward to it. Thanks for the update though.

+ Reply to Thread