+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 US Alpine Championships at Winter Park

Quote Originally Posted by daysailer1 View Post
    Ray - great talking at the top of Hughes with you on Friday. It was kinda weird running security at the top of the course. I waved the athletes through under the trail closure rope and waved off the tourists to keep them from taking off down the course. I must've waved off 50-60 people. It was pretty easy to look at their skiing coming the trail and know who to wave off. The racers -> that was some freaking awesome skiing and total focus. They just blew by me or did a jump, landed, and then ducked under the rope.

The ski school director came skiing up at one point and I stopped him. He started laughing at that and said he was helping with the course slipping. Kinda fun messing with the boss.

These were the results at noon on Friday. There were cameras along the course. They'll probably replay the races at a later date.

Hey! My buddy's daughter is on there! Only about 12 seconds out on the first run..... Again, another level.... cause that chick ROCKS.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by daysailer1 View Post
    Ray - great talking at the top of Hughes with you on Friday. It was kinda weird running security at the top of the course. I waved the athletes through under the trail closure rope and waved off the tourists to keep them from taking off down the course. I must've waved off 50-60 people. It was pretty easy to look at their skiing coming the trail and know who to wave off. The racers -> that was some freaking awesome skiing and total focus. They just blew by me or did a jump, landed, and then ducked under the rope.

The ski school director came skiing up at one point and I stopped him. He started laughing at that and said he was helping with the course slipping. Kinda fun messing with the boss.

These were the results at noon on Friday. There were cameras along the course. They'll probably replay the races at a later date.

I got pulled after eating lunch and had to go run the start shack on the daily NASTAR course from 11:30-2:30. :( I really wanted to watch the pros but they didn't have any other volunteers who knew anything about NASTAR.
    We missed you on the second run. Some folks ducked the ropes and came down to the start before we got a new guard. Ski patrol made them walk back up and they were not happy. One other bozo argued with ski patrol and claimed that since he had a lift ticket he was entitled to ski any run he wanted and he wanted to go down the run with the course on it. I hope he wasn't planning on law school.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    If they were running from above the top of Hughes Meadows down across and onto Lower Hughes to the bottom of our finish area for Nationals, and were doing in in around 1:12-1:20 seconds, there was some really great skiing being done, considering most of us were running around 30 seconds just for the bottom of Lower Hughes -

.......another level, indeed!
    Well since they have real GS gates, and we had NASTAR's mini GS gates, doesn't that make a pretty big difference over the length of a course that long?

Also, a side note, I figured that the US alpine championships were going to go from hughes meadows down Norwegian down lower hughes... all I can say is Norwegian is SUPER steep, and I think it amazing those USST people can go full speed down that (through gates, of course)

We missed you on the second run. Some folks ducked the ropes and came down to the start before we got a new guard. Ski patrol made them walk back up and they were not happy. One other bozo argued with ski patrol and claimed that since he had a lift ticket he was entitled to ski any run he wanted and he wanted to go down the run with the course on it. I hope he wasn't planning on law school.
    I was really afraid that was going to happen. I hope they didn't interfere with the racing. Justin had me on a snowmobile headed to the NASTAR shack before I could say 'get a replacement for me up there'. I did tell him I had to chase off a number of people wanting to duck the rope.

There were signs up at the top of the Zephyr that the trails ahead were closed. I guess they decided to ignore the rope and the second closed signage. They could still go down Balch or Bash around the closures. Most didn't think to look left.

During the course of the mornings racing, I let ski patrol know what was going on. No one tried to mess with me - something about a tall large person with a uniform on. Glad patrol made the rope duckers walk. I did let a few parents through who were course slipping for their racer kids.

Versus is supposed to have the US Alpine championships on this weekend - I believe on Saturday, April 9th - check your local listing for more details.
    It looks like there is also a replay on Monday April 11th on Versus I think 4-5pm in the Pittsburgh area on comcast - set up on DVR.

In terms of US Nationals on universalsports, I have the universalsports package as well - must be an issue re: broadcast on Versus vs NBC Universalsports. It was the same with WC at Beaver Creek in terms of broadcast on Versus with nothing available on universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fu Man View Post
    It looks like there is also a replay on Monday April 11th on Versus I think 4-5pm in the Pittsburgh area on comcast - set up on DVR.

In terms of US Nationals on universalsports, I have the universalsports package as well - must be an issue re: broadcast on Versus vs NBC Universalsports. It was the same with WC at Beaver Creek in terms of broadcast on Versus with nothing available on universal.
    Thanks!

Watched it on Versus. It was actually Ladies' and Men's SG coverage. Nice, sunny and warm. Just a few shots of GS, no SL at all and a lot of wasted time about results of WC-2011, interviews, etc.
    WC was on universalsports whole winter, give me more actual races coverage of the US Nationals... :(

BTW, Lower Huges and its bottom didn't look steep on TV.
    Last edited by olskier; 04-11-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olskier View Post
    Thanks!

.......BTW, Lower Huges and its bottom didn't look steep on TV.
    Guess you had to be there.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Quote Originally Posted by olskier View Post
    Thanks!

......BTW, Lower Huges and its bottom didn't look steep on TV.
    15-20 foot waves don't look that big in pictures or video either, but I don't like to meet them in person (and the few times I have, yes, I'll certainly admit I was scared then!).
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

15-20 feet is huge!
    I get mighty nervous windsurfing the North Shore when it is 2/3 mast high or so.
    Not much wind between those waves and a big price for not getting it right.

Guess you had to be there.
    I know... :) If didn't knew, I would think it's a different venue on TV.

Video can be deceptive, like Snowbasin 2002 - Grizzly Olympic course POV from Doug Lewis ->

When actually skiing, it looks more impressive, closer to the video where Strobl won gold

15-20 foot waves don't look that big in pictures or video either, but I don't like to meet them in person (and the few times I have, yes, I'll certainly admit I was scared then!).
    15-20 foot are big enough even by numbers!
    For white water kayaking 7-10 foot drop felt huge to me (on the photo it didn't look so special), though even for rafting it's not small.
    Last edited by olskier; 04-14-2011 at 12:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread