+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 season open

I'd go to an open at Nubs for sure.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Sorry GB and Jamie, not in Michigan again. Particularly that far north. Crystal did a great job but the Midwest Open really was more like the Michigan Open because it was just too far for people from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri to travel....heck, even parts of Illinois were a significant drive. I was lucky being in Chicago because I am in the middle of everything so any drive in either direction is manageable.

I would nix Nubs and once again say that south central Wisconsin around Madison or the Dells, or even Chestnut Mountain is the best option. But again, that is just my opinion. Maybe Nastar HQ would consider the Minneapolis area....it would be a drive for many but might work. But south central Wisconsin would probably draw the greatest number...again, just my opinion.

CTC

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    Sorry GB and Jamie, not in Michigan again. Particularly that far north. Crystal did a great job but the Midwest Open really was more like the Michigan Open because it was just too far for people from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri to travel....heck, even parts of Illinois were a significant drive. I was lucky being in Chicago because I am in the middle of everything so any drive in either direction is manageable.

I would nix Nubs and once again say that south central Wisconsin around Madison or the Dells, or even Chestnut Mountain is the best option. But again, that is just my opinion. Maybe Nastar HQ would consider the Minneapolis area....it would be a drive for many but might work. But south central Wisconsin would probably draw the greatest number...again, just my opinion.

CTC
    Michigan has more Nastar racers than any other state in the country. Among Michigan skiers, Nubs is one of the most desirable destinations, and would likely have a good turnout. In fact, if ONLY the northwest Michigan locals (Petoskey, Harbor, Boyne City/Falls, Gaylord, TC) showed up, it would STILL be a good turnout.

It depends on what Nastar wants, but I'm assuming a good turnout is a crucial factor. Using your same logic, a Wisconsin Open would be just that as well. Do you think anyone from Northern Michigan or Minneapolis is really going to travel to ski in southern Wisconsin??? Chestnut maybe.... but then pretty much EVERYONE would be traveling to that race. There isn't really a large contingent of "locals" is there?

I'm not saying I'm opposed to any location.... It's not up to me anyway. I'm just saying if its at Nubs, I'll be there.

I would be all for an Open at Nubs - and as GB stated previously, the Valley run would be perfect - steeper than Birch Run (but certainly not unmanagable in any way), and long enough, and with terrain and direction changes, to not make it just a "tuck and go" sprint.

And sorry CTC, but I agree that, unfortunately, few racers from from Michigan are going to go to an Open in WISCO- even from the SE Lower Michigan area, it is a 7-8+ hour drive, and from Northern MI, even further. It would be closer for us to go to the Eastern Open.

I, too, would go to a Nubs Open in a heartbeat - not so sure about Crystal again - Cheers is not much of a hill to host such a race on.

JMHO
    Last edited by Racer X; 04-12-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Quote Originally Posted by hga1976 View Post
    In general Cascade is run very well and Nastar is fortunate to have people that are really passionate about the program and the sport of ski racing at many different levels. We just wish we could run the program on Manitou. If we did we think our skier numbers would increase.
    I agree completely that the program is well run. Is Manitou the hill that used to have the Nastar course? I always thought that was a much better hill than the present one, which, in my mind at least, is way too flat for the first hundred yards or so. The earlier hill, which is now a terrain park I believe, was much better. OG

So why would you have more of a turnout at Nubs then you had over 2 years at Crystal Mountain when the attendance barely broke 100? And why should it be easy for Michigan racers to get to the Open but racers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri can't consider going because of the distance? That does not sound very fair to me.

I don't buy your arguments. If the Open was in south central Wisconsin probably 300+ kids who race WIJARA would show up (if its scheduled correctly and coordinated with WIJARA), plus the adults. I think the turnout would be excellent.

But then again its not my decision and I am sure Bill has his own ideas.....

CTC

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
    So why would you have more of a turnout at Nubs then you had over 2 years at Crystal Mountain when the attendance barely broke 100?
    Because Crystal isn't convenient to anywhere.... It's basically a weekend destination resort for (essentially) non-skiers from Indiana and western lower Michigan.

Nubs, Boyne and Boyne Highlands are all in essentially the same spot, and all 3 are PACKED with people pretty much every weekend. There are so many local racers in that area that Nubs actually breaks down their adult race league into 3 nights! They have league on Monday, Wednesday and Friday night. Highlands has a Thursday night league, and the Mountain has league on Wednesday. It is literally the epicenter of skiing in the midwest. I think that would be a hard contention to argue with.

I'm not saying that Wisconsin doesn't "deserve" an open, but I AM saying that Nubs or one of the Boynes would make sense as well. They would pretty much be guaranteed attendance. All the hard core Detroit skiers head up there every weekend anyway..... I guarantee you no Detroiters are heading to Crystal for the weekend.

Just my take on it.

I would agree that Nubs or one of the Boynes is the place to have the midwest open. They are the best hills around and have the most racers hands down.

Now about Crystal, Heather and I bought a 1 day seasons pass to crystal because we could train down Buck and my mother lives pretty close to there. If Nubs had a one day pass for around $150 like crystal we would have been at Nubs every sunday. Really you can't compare the two places.

If Nastar is trying to keep the open kinda tame(ie not down Buck or scarface) then valley would be a great run.

Or at Boyne Highlands down North Challanger.
    Last edited by Kanakry; 04-12-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanakry View Post
    Now about Crystal, Heather and I bought a 1 day seasons pass to crystal because we could train down Buck......

Thread hijack......Jason, how was the Sunday training on Buck? I was considering something like that for next season - a good step to the next level training-wise from Brighton, but as Jamie says, Crystal is in the middle of nowhere, and aside from Buck and their college race hill (far to skiers left) the place is pretty tame/lame - certainly not worth driving up for a weekend.

Now back to the thread.......CTC, I agree tht it wouldn't be fair, and if there was an Open in WISCO, I'd probably go to that too. Last year's open was worthwhile.

It's just that there is a HUGE draw of racers in the Nubs/Boyne area who would never dream of driving down to Crystal for any type of race.

JMHO
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Matt it was pretty good. Ussually there was about 5 people. The coach was ussually the head coach Benzie. We just made laps and laps. Most of the days they had wireless timing set up so it was nice to see what changes made differences in timing. I am extremely stubborn about certain things and unless there is factual data to back up someones thing alot of the time I just blow it off. I guess its my part of me and what I do at work. So it was really cool to see that sometimes when you feel slower your actually going faster. Significantly faster some times.

Heather and I will probably do the same thing again next year becuase its easy and we have a place to stay and keep our dog. Crystal for us is actually about ten mins farther than boyne and just a little bit shorter than Nubs from our house.

+ Reply to Thread