+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 season open

I also hope that there continues to be a Midwest Open. It's been in Michigan two years in a row now, so I'll agree with CTC that it would be fair to have it in Wisconsin this time. Granted, MI has more NASTAR racers than WI does if I remember correctly, but that doesn't mean it has to be in MI every time. I'd love to try out Granite Peak or Devil's Head.

I'm with CTC and Chase on this one. I'm planning to try the Open format next season, but as a teacher it's hard to take extra vacation time during the school year. I'm in a northwest suburb of Chicago, so I'd appreciate a nearby locale like Devil's Head or Chestnut Mountain. Good lodging at both resorts and both are in nice areas to visit. I understand the turnouts haven't been great so far, but I'm thinking that might change with what appears to be growing discontent with Nationals. Hoping Nastar will give the Opens a couple years to catch on. OG

Having the Midwest Open at Chestnut running top to bottom on Apache would be awesome. They run races on that hill, and it is great, but I would be surprized if Chestnut would do it. If it would be held on Blackhawk at Chestnut I think Granite Peak would be a better venue. Not really a big fan of the Devil's Head run although they did have the Mid West pacesetter trials there this year. Ptarmigan at Cascade is better than Devil's Head in my opinion, and Cascade does run races down The Wall each year for the WIJARA races and for some High School races. That is also a great hill.

If it does go to WI or IL schedule the date around the WIJARA race schedule and I am sure the turnout would increase. Cascade's race team has over 90 kids in the program, Tyrol 90 Plus, Blackhawk 60 plus, Wilmot 60 Plus, and Chestnut I am not sure. These kids are of all ability levels and only a handful are focused on USSA. I feel many of those racers and more importantly thier families would more than likely take part in a more local Nastar event. Holding the event close to Madison WI would definitely increase the likelyhood of a good turnout. The WIJARA league has about 375 racers in age from 6-18, most of which are from the Madison area. So from that population along with all the other recreational racers that ski Nastar on all these hills I think a good turnout would be very likely.

hga1976 - you are right on. I agree with your post 100%.

Chestnut would be a great place for a Midwest Open. Apache would be great but I doubt they would have an Open on that hill because some Nastar racers might not be able to race it very well. They had USSA races on it this year. I actually think the Crazy Horse run at Chestnut might work well for an Open. Tougher than Blackhawk but not as tough as Apache (or as long). Crazy Horse does get icy though. And it is steeper than the usual Nastar course.

I love the Cascade Nastar course on Ptarmington, and the Nastar crew at Cascade is excellent. The only problem is they do not have a lodge...so there is no resort for racers to stay in one central location. I have actually never skied or raced at Devil's Head, I just know they have a lodge and they are in a good location so that might be a good choice.

I hope the Midwest Open is either at Chestnut, Granite Peak or Devil's Head. I agree that it would have to be scheduled outside of WIJARA or the attendance will be low. If they can somehow piggy back on WIJARA (maybe an early season warm up race) then I think the attendance would be very good. Coordinating with WIJARA teams from Missouri, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin would be the way to go. I guess the best way to do that coordination would be to contact the people who direct WIJARA. They have a website with contact names, Nastar HQ, FYI.

CTC

I would vote for Roundtop or Bearcreek in the east. The biggest drawback for Roundtop is the lack of slope side hotels. There are some with in a 10 or 15 minute drive. I am with in a half hour of Roundtop but I can only fit so many people in the Copper house.

I really wouldn't care where it is if the drive is with in 8 hours. But, my biggest concern in the time of year. Having the Opens right after the holidays is a killer for many of us. I would have it no earlier then the third weekend in January

Copper
    Go hard or get outta my way.

hga1976 - I did not realize when I posted my earlier message that you were part of the Nastar crew at Cascade, I just read it on one of your other posts. I gave you a compliment without realizing it! You guys do a great job at Cascade, and are always on time. I can't stand waiting around for late Nastar programs to start. A very efficient operation and I try to get up there at least once a year. This year I got up there twice. Keep up the good work at Cascade.

CTC

PS - I don't agree with you about the Nationals courses though, but that's ok. We can agree to disagree and this thread is about the Opens.....

CTC,

Thanks for the kind words. In general Cascade is run very well and Nastar is fortunate to have people that are really passionate about the program and the sport of ski racing at many different levels. We just wish we could run the program on Manitou. If we did we think our skier numbers would increase. The problem with Ptarmigan is that sometimes the general public does not even know Nastar is there, or that they think it is the race team because that is also where we practice.

As for the Open does the event need to be held at a resort that has on mountain lodging? If so Granite Peak does not but has many hotels near by. In fact the Best Western is only 2 miles away and is very convienent. Even nicer hotels 10 minutes away. Obviously Cascade does not but there are hotels nearby as well. As for Devil's Head there is on slope lodging and I could see the benifits of that, but the accomodations are somewhat like Dorm rooms and everything is outdated. HQ knows what that is like because they were there last year. As for Chestnut I also think that would be great, lodge is alittle outdated but not as bad as Devil's Head. I do think the local numbers may be better in WI, as well as being able to pull from MN, which has a huge ski community.

Banned
    For Eastern Open I think Western NY is a great location. It allows people from a wide geographic area to attend.

If it would ever happen at roundtop save the couch for me

I spoke with the GM at Nubs Nob about the open and he said the problem is paying for the lodging for Bill and his crew but he would consider Nubs. I also talked to him about the hill. The race and the pacesetter trials would be held on Valley. This is a great hill that is longer than Birch Run and a little steeper at the bottom. This hill would solve the problems of the race hills being either to steep or to flat. I think this is the most important factor as to where to hold the race. Racer X can attest to this hill as he raced one of our speed series on it. There is plenty of lodging nearby and Nubs has a great area for the awards and after party. They have first class crew that would do a fantastic job running the race.

+ Reply to Thread