+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thumbs down to Deer Valley's Nastar this year!

Difficult Deer Valley

Deer Valley is a challenging, steep, course that favors good skiers, however, this year it seems that there are very, very few Plats and Golds (about half of last season), and mostly Silver/Bronzes/Participants. Don't think the quality of skiers there has changed, but just much harder to get a good HC.

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences this season!
    Last edited by SGS; 02-14-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SGS View Post
    Deer Valley is a challenging, steep, course that favors good skiers, however, this year it seems that there are very, very few Plats and Golds (about half of last season), and mostly Silver/Bronzes/Participants. Don't think the quality of skiers there has changed, but just much harder to get a good HC.

Would love to hear anyone else's experiences this season!

I was there at the beginning of December and the Nastar software hadn't been up and running yet everywhere. I love the course as it's been the hardest one I've raced on. I've always thought it was tough to race there, so that when I finally had gotten a gold handicap there I was stoked!

I say keep it hard. Though the medals and handicaps are nice, and I do like to see how I ran compared to everyone else, I may be in the minority, but I really race against myself and the clock. Hearing how close or far I am to a gold or platinum is fun or disheartening, my main focus is was I faster or slower than the times before and how I felt during and after the run...

The crew there last year and this year has been super friendly.

Ski fast, but be able to go home ; )

Fu

DV did get an almost entirely new crew in 2010-11. The guys the last few years were awesome as is the current, new crew. They generally all live up to the "DV Difference" moto with superior service and friendliness.
    DV has never been an "easy" place to get a platinum, and it is a steeper, more challenging course than most Nastar courses. It does seem that perhaps the calculations are off this season - don't know if there is any good explanation for it, but definitely far fewer platinums and golds, even for those that are consistent platinum/gold on other Nastar courses. Guess it all washes out at Nationals!

From this list results look fine to me. Some skiers have even worse HCs on easier Park City NASTAR course if raced both.

DV is the best NASTAR course I've ever skied: pitch is just right, GS style turns. It's the most expensive NASTAR though...
    This year PC and Snowbasin gave me a little bit better NASTAR HCs than DV last year, but no platinum as usual now... :( , my bad, not resorts' fault.

+ Reply to Thread