+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: # of tries

I'm in Platinum and I'm not a snob! I do, however have the good fortune to race 30+ days per year and had a great coach to get me from Bronze/Silver to Platinum 93% of the time this season (helps to move up an age bracket too). I compete against myself and enjoy quantifying my improved skiing by the handicaps getting lower each season.
    I usually rank in the top 10 for the # of runs for the season.
    LB
    WAL18

liltiger, I'm not sure if anyone is really suggesting that we should all only get two runs. I certainly am not. I think it would be interesting/accurate if only the first two counted for handicap/ranking purposes, though... I whole heartedly believe that Nastar is about the masses, the good and the learning, and being able to practice not just complete. And that is the beauty of unlimited runs. That said, there are resorts that limit each racer to 2 runs. I have one 1 1/2 hours from me. I went there once. Will not go back for that exact reason.

riding29, Nationals isn't really about winning. It IS about the fun, both the fun of the competition no matter how well or poorly you do, and the fun of getting together with all those other racers. It is about the experience. This will be my second Nationals. The first one was a disaster (racing wise) because I twisted my ankle the night before the first race. But I STILL had an absolute BLAST with the rest of the experience. It may be a little late for you to go this year, but just because you weren't fast on your first two runs shouldn't have kept you from going...if you wanted to. Good luck next year!
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

Quote Originally Posted by putterman View Post

First of all, where is the Platinum snobbery? There are a select few on this forum that think they are better than everyone else.
    You just asked and answered your own question. Hi, Putterman. I think I should comment here, as I am the original author of the now infamous platinum snobbery phrase. First of all, I was not talking about you, or Racer X. I increasingly enjoy reading your comments and am finding most of the other forum contributors to be interesting, likeable characters, as well. Basically, I was saying the same thing you said in the second part of the above quote, albeit in a slightly more colorful way. There are SOME who think they are better than the rest. Their resorts/courses are better. Their handicaps are more accurate and they have earned their rankings while other racers have not. As you have said, many times, the only way to see who's better, at least on one day, is to race on the same course, same day, and see who does it faster. That's what racing is about, on any level. Anyway, THAT was who I was talking about. Didn't mean to offend anyone...except a few snobs, maybe! Ski fast at Nationals. OG

I'm learning that it isn't necessarily accurate to go by the exact definition of 'race on the same course, same day' to determine who is faster. The most accurate measure would be to go one step further and specify racing the course in the same conditions as well. I've beaten and been beaten by some who have raced same day, same course, but when the course has either slowed down or gotten faster. I'm just sayin..........race head to head and then switch courses and do it again. Then someone is truly the victor. Sorry is that too far off topic??????

NASTAR should always and forever allow and count unlimited daily runs. After all, its about recreational racing for the whole family. Join Master's programs if you like the more rigid and challenging format.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman99 View Post
    The most accurate measure would be to go one step further and specify racing the course in the same conditions as well. I've beaten and been beaten by some who have raced same day, same course, but when the course has either slowed down or gotten faster.
    I agree with you about unlimited Nastar runs and about your above quote. I simplified my same day, same course comment primarily for space. Many of the Nastar resorts I've visited don't always offer dual set-up. In that case, it is best to race one after the other, for the reasons you've stated. Courses can change a lot in a fairly short time. OG

Quote Originally Posted by putterman View Post

riding29, Nationals isn't really about winning. It IS about the fun, both the fun of the competition no matter how well or poorly you do, and the fun of getting together with all those other racers. It is about the experience. This will be my second Nationals. The first one was a disaster (racing wise) because I twisted my ankle the night before the first race. But I STILL had an absolute BLAST with the rest of the experience. It may be a little late for you to go this year, but just because you weren't fast on your first two runs shouldn't have kept you from going...if you wanted to. Good luck next year!
    Thanks. Apologies to the OP as this is off topic but I'm out here with my kids and it would have probably been too much to keep track of them and race too. Turns out I did get on the daily NASTAR course one day and my handicap was 20 points lower than my home course. I wouldn't have won but would have been competitive. Same thing happened to to 3 others that I know that were racing who all got the double bump. Real odd the difference when going from resort to resort. We've still had a lot of fun and will probably be back next year.
    Last edited by riding29; 03-26-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Only drawback to this scenario that I an see would be that the paceset time, and thus par time, would not be set until the end of the day, and many, if not most, recreational racers would not know how they did, and would not be able to get their medal, as most will be long gone by the time the pacesetter is happy he has gone the fastest he can go.
    JMHO

Racer X that's kind of funny because that is exactly how my Brighton Race League works, only there are several regional pace setters with low single digit handicaps who wait until 8:30ish to race a course that has been running since 7 pm. Then the guy on the computer enters the fastest time of those pace setters to use it for the race par. We don't even know who the actual pace setter is unless you stand at the bottom and watch the pace setters finish times, then assume the fastest one is for par. We don't ever know how we really did until 9:45 when they post the results printout on the wall outside of the bar. We just get to see a time on the clock and after a while you can sort of compare your time with other racers times to know if you had a good race. And you know what, it's still fun!

We always get to see some seriously fast racing and pacesetters get to have a King-of-the-hill competition every week, while we stand at the bottom and watch how they run the courses.

Sorry if I'm going back to page 2, I haven't been keeping up with all these postings.

+ Reply to Thread