+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Got my first platinum - and then NASTAR HQ took it away

The rules aren't that complicated.
    Not like the tax code or something.
    Jaime's statement that he doesn't care about rankings is pretty strange coming from a guy that has been a consistent supporter of NASTAR for years.

The rankings are ego gravy for a lot of folks who do care.
    The good thing about this forum is that NASTAR cannot pretend it isn't aware of problems.
    A little transparency from NASTAR would be positive for the whole organization.
    I'm sure NASTAR management has a way of policing sloppy pacesetters but I don't have a clue about how that works.
    NASTAR's policy of not having an official spokesman on the forum sure doesn't help.

We are all big kids and know screwups happen.
    Organizations rise and fall based on how well they deal with problems.
    What I see is an organization in decline.
    At Nubs it looks like the number of racers is down considerably this year.
    Not sure why but the number of skiers on fat skis that are not suitable for racing is way up.
    I would love to do something positive about this but I'm not sure what.
    This is a fun game and I want it to continue.
    I think it is time to put this thread to sleep and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Kine View Post
    Jaime's statement that he doesn't care about rankings is pretty strange coming from a guy that has been a consistent supporter of NASTAR for years.

The rankings are ego gravy for a lot of folks who do care.
    I don't care about MY OWN rankings....

I am still a big supporter, and I try to run our program as fairly as possible. When I ran that 18.2 or whatever that fastman referenced, we were almost ready to pull the course for the day. It wouldn't have been feasible to start a new race. Most people had multiple runs in already. The timer asked me, "should I change the pace time to that?". I told him to just leave it.

If it offends fastman, I can delete that run I guess???
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Man alive, this is getting ugly. We're moving from being unhappy about the results from one day at Breckenridge to NASTAR HQ's perceived shortcomings to what appear to be personal attacks on people I know only from posting on this Forum but have come to like for their knowledge of NASTAR, ski racing, ski equipment, and general good humor. Some of you guys ought to give it a rest. Please.

Slats
    Lots of years, lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Slats View Post
    Man alive, this is getting ugly. We're moving from being unhappy about the results from one day at Breckenridge to NASTAR HQ's perceived shortcomings to what appear to be personal attacks on people I know only from posting on this Forum but have come to like for their knowledge of NASTAR, ski racing, ski equipment, and general good humor. Some of you guys ought to give it a rest. Please.

Slats
    Slats this thread would not even be here if NASTAR HQ had upheld their own written rules... Simple solution really, apply the rules consistently.

Now, is that in a suit or a coat?

Those crafty Amish...

See kids, wear a helmet! Even if it IS made of feathers.

Look at the guy in front. Body weight centered over his bike, uh, scooter, uh, downhill transportational device. The guy in back is leaning back... Proves that form will make you faster.

Somebody stop me. I could do this all day...
    Last edited by putterman; 01-27-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am!
    CRU145

First one has a coat... next must be a suit! ;)

Jamie, you might not care about your rankings, but the people who you bumped down the rankings list with your wrongly gotten handicap probably do. Many of those people are competing for all they're worth, to get a chance to go to Winter Park. Your ill-gotten handicap could have resulted in people who wanted to go to Nationals not being invited. I'm glad you corrected the situation by removing your results from the multiple races where you lowered your handicap by racing against yourself. The state and resort overall rankings should now return to what they actually should be.

The problem that still exists, though, is the matter of a course that was running much faster than you established par time at. This is why NASTAR has what they call "proactive pacesetting". People came away from that race with handicaps much lower than justified, just as you did, because the race never established a new par time.

Out of 28 finishers in that race, 20 earned gold or better. The number should have actually been only about 5 or 6, based on NASTAR's contention that gold represents the top 20 % of all participants. Sure, there will be variance from venue to venue, race to race, but almost 4 times as many golds and platinums as the national average? Seems to suggest the course was running fast for quite a while.

Jamie, you say you ran "just to check the par time", but when you found it was running way too fast, you didn't change the par time because "the day was almost over". If it was already too late to do anything about it, why even bother going up to check it? Checks need to come sooner, so when courses are running fast there's time to close out the run and start a new race, with a new par time. The longer it runs fast, the longer bogus handicaps get awarded. NASTAR's "proactive pacesetting" was designed to address that problem, but it only works if it gets applied properly.
    GOOD LUCK, HAVE FUN, GO FAST !!

www.YourSkiCoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
    Jamie, you say you ran "just to check the par time", but when you found it was running way too fast, you didn't change the par time because "the day was almost over". If it was already too late to do anything about it, why even bother going up to check it?
    Simply because I enjoy running gates, and I wanted to take another run before we closed.
    OREDOCK BREWING COMPANY SKI BUMS
    http://ore-dock.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Not necessarily. I did not look at every resort (I do have a life, after all!) I just looked at some random resorts, and my point was that there are other resorts with low, or lower, handicaps than Holly.

Maybe, but maybe not!. In any case, I'll look forward to it! Give me a shout out and I'll join you - as I'm sure some other forum regulars will too. Maybe we can create a SE Lower Michigan Forum gathering!

Otherwise, see you Friday night - I'm coming up for the speed series/Masters race.
    See you Fri.

+ Reply to Thread