+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Greek Peak

Quote Originally Posted by jdajoe View Post
    To bad the race is on sunday.....All the local racers have a race at toggenburg, 25 min away
    This begs the question - was HQ made aware of this situation during the RFP process?

This is a good point - it would be much better if the Midwest and Eastern Opens were somehow tied into competition formats that already exist in those regions. There was a kids ski team/club from Brighton, Michigan that came to the Midwest Open and those kids had a GREAT time, you could tell. If there had been a number of those clubs and they were competing against each other, more adults and their kids would have come. We had a good turnout of about 126 racers, but I think there could have been hundreds if the Open had been tied into regional racing in Michigan.

I noticed with some relief that the Family Challenge at Chestnut Moutain Jan 28-29 does not compete with the WIJARA racing - if it did, no families would be there! Or at least very few. But there is not a conflict that weekend, which is a good thing. If the Midwest Open is moved to Wisconsin or a place like Chestnut, somehow coordinating it with the resort's ski team schedules would significantly increase attendance. If it were either tied into WIJARA or at least was offered to WIJARA racers as another weekend of racing....it would be a huge success. This type of coordination means you have to plan months ahead for an event, coordinate with the schedules of these regional racing groups over the summer when they set their schedules, coordinate with the resort.....and the attendance would be very large. The Open would become an important race on their schedules each year.

The Open format is excellent. I think the planning and execution on a regional level to ensure that resort ski teams can participate is a key to ensuring future success.

My two cents on a Wednesday morning, now I need a second cup of coffee.

CTC

HQ needs to check the local schedule, The j4-j5 race has about 125 kids age 8-12, not to mention all the moms and dads. Nastar is big around here.......But not on a race day....joe

Well, I was holding hoping I could work it out to make it but it is just not in the cards this year. Having the Open so close to the holidays doesn't work so well for me. In fact having it so early in the season doesn't work well either. I have not even been on skis yet this season. Unless some sort of miracle comes around, and I can maybe make it a day trip, I wont be attending. Best wishes to all who are going. I sure will miss you guys and gals. Let em rip
    Copper
    Go hard or get outta my way.

The Midwest Open was GREAT, I certainly hope as many as you as possible attend the Eastern Open. You will have a wonderful time if you do, it will be well worth the trip.

Ski fast everyone and safe travels to Greek Peak!

CTC

Cool

It's unfortunate that there are scheduling conflicts. It is early in the season but the MidWest event had a pretty good turnout. Maybe the location is a factor. In any event, Bill is looking forward to putting on a quality event.

Unrelated threadjack:

He and AJ were at Wachusett yesterday for the Pacesetter trials and we had a perfect day. AJ has been the traveling pacesetter for 13 years. His triplets are now racing NASTAR and loving it.

Yesterday was the acid test on my newly reconstructed ACL and I'm happy with the results. I lowered my handicaps from last year in both coat and suit. I even made one run on the snowboard but the course was pretty icy by then and I had trouble holding an edge.

The course was plenty turny but seemed to have more vertical distance between gates so that there we no crankers. It was the only time in the last two years I felt I'd have been better off on GS skis than SL.

Back to the subject: If you can make it to Greek Peak on Sunday, please do so. I'll be driving over from Okemo Saturday evening and have a nearby motel (and a spare bed for a non-snorer ). Hope the anticipated snow doesn't make for too long a drive. At least it's all interstate once I get to New York. Hope to see you there!
    Last edited by patmoore; 01-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
    "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
    NASTAR# MOO95 Ski Race Record
    NASTAR# MOO2023 Snowboard Race Record

SuburbanSkiAndBike.com
    GoldenYearsGeek.com
    pat-moore.artistwebsites.com

I thought this weekend was too early for a race on the East Coast. Our home mtn, Shawnee, hasn't even had a course set up yet this year. This weekend is to be the first time.
    Also, just had email from another racer that clinic has 28 and race has 50 signed up

My kids have been the ones racing NASTAR for the past few years.
    At the Nationals last year was the first time I ran gates in close to twenty years, my kids challenged me on the monday after the races, so WP was my first course.
    Seeing as not many have registered, not so much a competition thing, but didn't want to lose the whole day to just the race, I registered to race figuring without many people it will go quickly.

+ Reply to Thread