+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Let's go to Vail and run the NASTAR Course

We'll have to do the Chinease Downhill there. :)

Quote Originally Posted by drpete View Post
    Nope never raced there. It reminded me of a small hill near home called treetops. It has a gradual slope with little undulation and just looked too mild for my taste.

To be fair I dont often participate in Nastar when skiing other resorts. Maybe I am just expecting too much.
    I've skied both Vail and Treetops NASTAR, and Treetops is no Vail.

No comaprison, really. They're not even in the same zip code.

Agree, though that Vail is one of the best resorts in North America. No question there!

JMHO
    Last edited by Racer X; 03-22-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    If you win, but in so doing, lose the respect of your competitors, you've not won anything at all - Paul Elvestrom - 4 time Danish Olympic gold medalist in Sailing

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    I've skied both Vail and Treetops NASTAR, and Treetops is no Vail.

No comaprison, really. They're not even in the same zip code.

Agree, though that Vail is one of the best resorts in North America. No question there!

JMHO
    Im not saying your wrong but it just looked very flat to me. As I said I didnt ski the course so maybe my observations are wrong.

I have skied and raced at Vail . A great resort. I also went to Beaver Creek that week and took home a gold medal. Bob Beattie was there that day announcing and handed me my gold medal with a handshake. That was a great thrill.

Have skied many mountains both in the east and west and Vail ranks in the top 3 for me. Grew up in the Adirondacks skiing West Mountian, Gore and Whiteface. Learned to ski the steeps at Bridger Bowl while living in Bozeman in the late 70's and early 80's. Then moved to Vail for a short period of time before going back to college. I love it to this day. Does not have the steeps like Jackson, Taos, Snowbird or Whistler but it is just a great overall mountain. One key is to know the traffic pattern so you do not get caught in lines when it is crowded. Get up early, go to the top, ski the back side then as all the snoozers start to get up to the top move to the front side. Vail has some of the best advanced groomed runs anywhere. You can not beat International and Giant Steps top to bottom. As for the Nastar course I have raced it but not in some years. I do not remember it being overly difficult, maybe a little longer than most.

+ Reply to Thread